Mileva Build Using Fostex FF125WK Drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks to Dave at Planet 10 (for the plans) and user Norman Bates (for the drivers) I have a start on Mileva using Fostex FF125wk drivers instead of the FE127e drivers.

I made mine out of 3/4" plywood and after adjusting for the thickness (internal volume, etc.) I machined a pair with my CNC machine. As I normally do with speaker enclosures I rabbet and pocket most everything for a no-brainer fit up once machined.

I rabbeted the speaker frame into the front panel. Please note that the .pdf is not accurate for this particular driver and depicts a different frame geometry.

I found the attached pic of "stuffing" for the Mileva here on DIYAudio. Is it still the current thinking? I will post listening results when done.

Attachments

• mileva_1.JPG
    mileva_1.JPG
    327.9 KB · Views: 398
  • mileva_2.JPG
    mileva_2.JPG
    309.8 KB · Views: 373
  • mileva_3.JPG
    mileva_3.JPG
    329.8 KB · Views: 363
  • Mileva-1v1-damping.gif
    Mileva-1v1-damping.gif
    34.6 KB · Views: 363
Beautiful work.

Me and my audio partner (Mike) built the larger Demetri enclosures for larger drivers (these are cut for 8" fullrangers, but can be adapted to 6" through the use of "doughnut" adapters). I still have Dave's Fe127 based Milevas here, I suspect they will never make it home!(so sorry Dave).

I know that Dave may have a very good guestimation regarding stuffing and I defer to him in this regard. The enclosures are not much more complicated than a simple box. Your version will be infinitely better constructed than the Demetris. We used butt joints combined with brad nails/screws and lots of clamps to secure carpenter's glue until it set. Despite our best efforts to screw this up, they turned out well. I have only tried one 8" FR driver in them. I like them as is, but Mike would like to try some super tweeters with them (he's in his mid 30s and must have much better hearing than I).

I must say that the Milevas have perhaps the highest level of "soaf" out there, but not the Demetris. Although they turned out well, they are quite large boxes and can cosmeticly dominate a room.

Sorry for typos as I'm pecking this out via my Playbook.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Please note that the .pdf is not accurate for this particular driver and depicts a different frame geometry.

A cut & paste from the Fostex FE127e data sheet. Chris & Tak found it not very accurate when they were programming the CNC.

I found the attached pic of "stuffing" for the Mileva here on DIYAudio. Is it still the current thinking?

Yes. Since you are 1st out the gate with FF125 in these (Scott's sim suggest it will be fine), some sruffing adjustments below the driver may be necessary. We look forward to your evaluation.

dave

One is running now with the top and bottom pieces "snapped" into place for removal so I can add/remove stuffing.

Speaking of stuffing, I cut some old ceiling tiles for lining the walls. It worked great on a MLTL before and seems ok for these.

With only one running not as much bass as a FE167e MLTL but didn't expect it to be.

Attachments

• mileva_1.JPG
    mileva_1.JPG
    341.3 KB · Views: 280
  • mileva_2.JPG
    mileva_2.JPG
    338.3 KB · Views: 141
  • mileva_3.JPG
    mileva_3.JPG
    246.6 KB · Views: 138
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.