Medium size room 12.2p vs. 10.2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Been looking at a number of related threads and I'm still a bit unsure of the differences and relative qualities of the 10.2 vs the 12.2P. I've read that the 12.2P is generally better at details and imaging (in an open baffle?). Better on resolving complex music. Others imply that the better driver for mid-sized rooms (mine is 14' x 24') is the 10.2 and that this smaller driver has better detail and imaging.

In a FAST system where bass is handled by other drivers, how do the 10.2 and 12.2p compare head-to-head above ~200hz - 300hz (6dB / octave)? Strengths and weaknesses?

(OK, so I'm just too cheap to order a pair of both of them and too lazy to build separate enclosures for comparison. :) )

Thanks,

Bill

10.2 is going to beat it in detail and imaging, partly due to size and partly due to metal vs paper. The 12 wins in dynamics. Just my opinion. If you are listening doen the barrel of the 24' foot room, I question either being able to filll the room, so nearfield is probably best. All opinion of course.

IMO the 10 is probably the at the centre of the range (in between the 12 and the 7). In a box of some kind: If I listened to a broad range of music I'd go the 10. If I preferred a big, warm natural sound, and listened to mostly classical music I'd go the 12. Start with the 10's for 6 months. In a year get the 12's. You could spend 6 months weighing up the relative strengths/trade offs between them. Strengths are weaknesses. Chocolate or strawberry?

IMO the 10 is probably the at the centre of the range (in between the 12 and the 7). In a box of some kind: If I listened to a broad range of music I'd go the 10. If I preferred a big, warm natural sound, and listened to mostly classical music I'd go the 12. Start with the 10's for 6 months. In a year get the 12's. You could spend 6 months weighing up the relative strengths/trade offs between them. Strengths are weaknesses. Chocolate or strawberry?

Extrapolating from Mark's recent improvements, in a year from now, what will changes will either the 10s or 12s have experienced? ;)

Back to Bill's original question, from my listening, the current versions of these 2 models drivers have different enough flavors to them that we'd need to understand his tastes to offer helpful advice ( I'll take my vine ripened strawberries with unsweetened dark chocolate and a nice Shiraz, thank you very much - it's the contrasts that make things interesting.)

All kidding aside, whether or not the room is theoretically suitable to them, I'm not a fan of OBs for a variety of reasons, and to answer Bill's original question would probably recommend the 12s. If he did want to try either driver in an OB with woofers (enclosed or OB ), considering that the total cubic real-estate/footprint of such a configuration, there are several proven enclosure designs for either that could take less space. In any case the room is not huge enough that either would necessarily suffer much from lack of adequate bass.

maple syrup on my waffle please

IMO

If this is to be a FAST system, go with the A7.3. Hands down, no question. When you cross the A7 as high as you indicate, It will get louder than you can (or at least should) stand. Why give up the best top end for a larger driver that gives you better bottom that you are going to cross out anyway?

For a single driver speaker, I am in awe of that the A10.2 does. At moderate SPL, it really does go deep enough.

Never had or heard an A12P. No opinion.

Bob

I'm not planning to use OB for my room. I mention it because it was an important part of a recent thread. I'm intending to use a small sealed enclosure for whatever mid-tweeter is used as long as it's appropriate to the system.

My general music preference is classical (large orchestra, classical period through romantic / post-romantic), my listening preference is for a large, full, deep soundstage with very accurate imaging with no "wandering" musicians. No frequency anomalies or ringing.

I like full frequency extension in both directions. Even though I'm an old guy, I can still tell when the highs aren't right. I have woofer and subwoofer components that could reasonably handle bass up whatever crossover point would be used.

I will use a first order crossover between the woofer and the mid-tweeter.

Did I mention how high I value sound stage and imaging?

I listen 75%+ to vinyl. Electronics are not an issue.

I forgot to mention that I really like a system that images well and has good sound stage reproduction.

Brother has eNabled 10.2's. They sound great and image very well with his setup. He recently purchase some isolaters to sit them on and this helped from top to bottom to clean things up. He has an anologue front end with quality tube setup, throughout. 7.3's are my favorite, but in a big room, I cannot get the dynamics I want. 10.2 and 12 are better at this, but give up the natural trade-offs of larger diaphragms. My continued selling point on the MA drivers is that I believe he is only limited by physics and price(with these 3 drivers). I think they do just what they were intended to do. I hope to get a pair of A7's in MAOP, if he makes them. I would love to see him desing more components with a bigger budget. I bet it would be wonderful.

FYI, I am leaving FR and headed to horns:D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.