Tips needed for CSS EL-70 enclosure

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello from Finland,
I built speakers with EL-70 about two years ago. I made my speakers using mar-kel70 plans. I like the sound with Dire Straits etc. but with heavy music they sound little too bright. Anyway, now I'm thinking about chancing my speakers a little. I'd like to build horizontal speaker with elements at left and right. It would be about 1500mm wide and it's height should be as little as possible. Also I don't want it to be deep. Why? Because it could look good.
The problem I have is that I'm no audio expert. I need opinions about enclosure deepness and height. What are minimums of those measurements? Also I'm thinking how much gap there should be between wall and enclosure? I'm using solid wood for this build.

Last edited:
Here is one picture about my idea.

Attachments

• kuva.jpg
    kuva.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 397
Makk,

Take a look at the Half Tower design on page 6 in the P10 Microtower planset:

http://www.frugal-phile.com/boxlib/microTower-maps-290412.pdf

I am thinking you can make one box large box and divide it into two to get 2 boxes the same size as the Half Tower - the ports can go to the front baffle of each section or on the top.

The overall size will be a few cm larger than your illustration but should be still pretty close.

If the plan is to wall mount these, then take a look at page 8.

Maybe Dave, Scott, or Chris can comment too.

The microtowers are an MLTL, - IINM the location of ports is important, and they're intended to load to boundary ( floor)

You'll note the comments on page 8 for the wall mounters include " top need 2in clearance for port"

I'd be surprised if Dave doesn't already have a sketch for something like this - or could come up with something fairly quickly.

Be careful with trying to design very shallow enclosures - they can look great o the wall, but the few that I've built were not without coloration issues.

Thank you zman01 for help.
I did some drawing again. This is based on the linked pdf, page 6. I draw again with SketchUp and it ended up looking like image attached. Front of the speaker is 216mm high and inside it is 186mm. CSS EL70 is 124mm high so there is 62mm space between EL70 and walls. 31mm per side.
Is it possible to reduce the height of the front panel? If so, how much? I want face to be as slim as possible. Those reduced millimeters could be added to deep.
Another question is it essential to have "breath holes" also in the back of the cabinet? (image 2)
What thoughts does this project bring up?

ChrisB: I made my planning just before reading your comment! Do you think I should add more space between sides?

Attachments

• kuva2.jpg
    kuva2.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 368
  • kuva3.jpg
    kuva3.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 357
Last edited:
Thanks Planet10. I thought about that design and I think that would be too large. I did some calculations with free WinISD software. As a result I got 17liters volume per side and two vents sized 57mm x 12mm x 84mm. I made a drawing to achieve those measures. Final size of the cabinet is 150 x 220 x 1460. I added again sketchup picture. I think this is size that I would almost be satisfied. I would like to reduce depth but it seems very hard. Height is as low as it can be with these drivers. Any opinions about this plan? Is there some major mistakes which need to be repaired?

Attachments

• kaiutin3.jpg
    kaiutin3.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 336
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
As a result I got 17liters volume per side and two vents sized 57mm x 12mm x 84mm....Any opinions about this plan?

That box size and tuning give a particularily ugly sim. You'd be better off sealed at that volume (given the 2pi loading that might be a good idea). Also given box aspect ratio, it will at least start acting like an ML-TL so the sims will be off.

Doing a reflex with a driver this size is tricky. The max size i use is 13 litre -- i have a Floorstander Mk2 for the EL70 that might fit your format.

dave

Attachments

• EL70-17l-45hz.gif
    EL70-17l-45hz.gif
    25.4 KB · Views: 307
  • EL70-sealed-sim.gif
    EL70-sealed-sim.gif
    14.5 KB · Views: 68
Thank you Dave for measurements. That first picture tells pretty much all. Vented box would be nice because it would look nice if there would be ports on the front side of the boxes. I also like these mar-kel boxes because they can produce so much bass with 4" speaker. I'm more woodworker than audio expert and that is why I'm interested in things like how speaker box looks. Wood for this box (when it is designed) will be wild cherry. Is it possible to somehow have those Floorstander Mk2 plans?

Hello again,
I have now thinked about this project and now I'm pretty sure I must make sealed boxes to achieve the shape I'm hoping for. I made some drawings with pencil and I now have question to ask. EL70 is 71,5mm deep. If box uses 12mm panels spekers is 59,5mm inside the box. Can backpanel be used to support speaker? That would mean, that overall deepness of the box could be 71,5mm + 12mm = 83,5mm. Is this possible?

Thank you again!
I think I'll give it a try. When speakers are ready, what would be the best way to test if there is bad early reflections? Or is it a thing I'll hear, if It's badly happening. If this box doesn't work well, I can always take back my old boxes. Now I have to get some information about stuffing.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.