Foam Core Board Speaker Enclosures?

Hi,

For laminates the core isn't really the issue. Layered cardboard
varnished with polyurethane is very strong and light, and some
cheap furniture (storage boxes mainly) is made this way.

For paper foam board I'd suggest a varnish layer on the outside and
when its very near dry adding a layer of heavy duty aluminium foil.

Or varnish and let it dry, then add the foil with contact adhesive.

rgds, sreten.

Hi, Make such a laminate and you'll soon work out what it does, rgds, sreten.

Outside dual foil layers stiffen softer laminates by a very large amount.

As exemplified by the leak sandwich advert, where a man stood on a cone from the leak sandwich speaker, which was constructed from aluminium laminated over foam core.

Could also try gluing bits of stainless steel sheet to both sides.

There are also various heavier duty versions of foam core cardboard, such as foamex.

Foam is also pretty easy to CNC, so one could potentially cut the form and then spray it with a fiber impregnated resin and / or apply a metal skin.

Ok, getting closer to having a RatShackFoamcore playing. Found some extra time and got some extra bracing put in, a second layer for the baffle speaker wire and stuffing, then glued on the other side. Waiting for glue to dry sucks.

8692916903_001b29a798.jpg

8694034194_b37b4f9890.jpg

8694034376_fd01634b52.jpg

8692917613_e05b245b29.jpg

Ok, got my first listen to the ratshack foamcore speakers.

Now let me preface this by saying that, in order to get substantial bass out of these in the past, it takes a significant amount of volume. At lower volumes, they are pleasant but "thin" as I had expected them to be. Turn up the volume on them to get some decent bass out of them....in this instance foam core is not the answer. Way too much energy being wasted on the enclosure in my opinion. On something with moderate amounts of bass (Eva Cassidy, Live at the Blues Alley) such as string bass, it is there and sounds very good. Play something like Eagles, Hell Freezes Over "Hotel California", and the intro makes me think they just might come apart.

I know that the 1354 is not a "great" driver, but I think it might have a bit more low-energy than some of the other smaller drivers being used. Regardless, I don't think a 60" folded voigt pipe is appropriate to be built out of this stuff.

On the other hand, it DID give me a very good idea of what performance could be like if I were to build it out of plywood or MDF, so it serves a great purpose for very inexpensvie mockups! What bass was there was mighty impressive right up until it hit the point where the enclosure started going nuts. Could feel the couch vibrating and my pants legs moving ever so slightly. Just might have to build two more out of wood. Had forgotten what the "magic" sounds like...and this was just one instead of a pair.

You might be right. But, I tried to follow advice and not have more than 3-4" span without any kind of bracing. I got pretty close to that, but would be difficult to go back and remeasure.

I could get noticeable difference in low frequency output by placing added mass to the top of the enclosure (25 pound plate). Maybe if I had filled the empty spaces with sand it could have helped. Regardless, there is too much energy-transfer to the enclosure to be a permanent solution to my situation.

It was a lot of fun to build and I believe that when my 3" BMR drivers come in, I will use foam core to build a cornu for them. I would suggest it for anyone to play with.

Last edited:
I don't have any "exterior" air leaks. Air is moving right along out the vent though.

I turned it over on its side and tested with and without added mass and it had the same outcome. I seriously think the enclosure is just not heavy enough. HHhhmmm.....maybe I should try carpet spikes?

Have all of your designs utilized the Vifa TC9? I ask this as there is quite a bit of difference in SPL, Vas, xmax and especially FS (57hz). When I made a single-fold pipe last time (bipole) I was hitting in the low 40's with authority. Has anyone else built a larger driver with the foam core? That was not a cornu? Would be open to seeing another similar design to see if I can compare notes as to what may or may not have gone wrong.

I got eight of these for a steal a year or so ago. Six have never been unpacked -two are in my center channel. Been watching for an FC design to use with them but they are 40 oz. so it would have to be pretty sturdy. You can't go wrong with the Vifa TC9 though. They have their own magic.

Attachments

• 20130430_195701.jpg
    20130430_195701.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 335
Last edited:
I should have piped up sooner here. The 1354 would work in a spiral but not so much here. The bass is light as are the highs. I use mine as a wide range with only the last octave on either end being supplemented by other drivers. They are a great midrange, there's no denying that. Even after all these years they still seem to do some things very well.