Foam Core Board Speaker Enclosures?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Interesting but not my cup of tea. It would take a lot of foam and time and when you were done you would have a"model" of the original. Any idea what the cut off frequency might be on the mini model?

You might want to ask the OP who made that horn - it's in the Pass DIY photos thread...

You can estimate/calculate it based on the dimensions that you can pull from the photo.

I have 10 sheets of foam core and am starting to get itchy again. I would like to try the Kleinhorn but it's just too big. I have the original FH3 so I don't need a foam one. I have 2 Cornu style and one Penthorn. I have assorted drivers to choose from from 2" up to 6.5" I don't think I would go larger than 6.5" with the foam. I can always use wood for the baffles. I need a new idea. :)

Hi M, Thanks for adding your to the mix. One word:

BOOORRING! :D

The reason to use the foam is that you have the option of non standard shapes. The kind that are hard to make from wood. You probably don't know this but I have 36 pairs of working speakers so we have to go off the beaten track here. I want something challenging, rewarding and something to bring to the table with you guys here at diyAudio.

Hi Bob,

I built a woofer unit a lot like the Wicked One years ago. Again, that would be easy to build from wood. I think I am looking for something with sweeping curves or...

ah hell, I don't know what I want. It's tough to come up with an idea when you have built so many. I need to chew on this for a bit.

Thanks for the ideas so far, don't let me discourage you from adding more but let's think outside the 'box' :) X got me going down a whole new path so if I am a bit of a bother, blame him. :)

Sometimes I like to wander around looking at things to get a new idea. I was in the shop when this one came to me. Guess what I was doing?

No, I wasn't watching Southpark. :)

Attachments

• IMG_6409.jpg
    IMG_6409.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 471
Hi Cogi,

Thanks for popping in. The 'Calhoun' was one of those double horns I did back in '07. What I am looking for is something new and exciting. The Kleinhorn is really tempting but I need something more reasonable if it has any chance of hanging around the living room.

Isn't it time for someone to do an OB outta foam core? How about the Decware approach using a resonant chamber behind? I've been wanting to experiment with that but just haven't had the time. Obviously would need some wings or similar re-inforcement, but we're using reinforcement/bracing anyway...

Or maybe pick up a few more drivers and try a line array?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Cal,
I know how you feel....
I have been looking for the next big cool design to cut some foam and make speakers again but haven't quite found anything yet.

Here is an idea I have been working on in my head for some time now. A double layer Cornu with each layer tuned to a different fb. I think I would make a 28 inch x 3 in deep in the back side for lower bass and a 18 in x 2.5 in in front for higher bass, use a 4 in driver like a Tang Band W4 1337 SDF bamboo paper. You can rotate the front Cornu 45 deg on its axis so that it looks like a diamond resting against the back one. The front and back Cornus share a common middle panel with a hole in it. I think this will allow it to have a smoother freq response to overcome the big peak around 150 Hz.

Additional tuning can be done to augment either on of the Cornus by making the final mouths also open up and out like a brimmed hat that curves up. The ability for the foam core to up is key. This can get you about 3x more gain in the bass for the bigger one in back or for the one in front.

There it is. The double Cornu with a twist.

X

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Isn't it time for someone to do an OB outta foam core? How about the Decware approach using a resonant chamber behind? I've been wanting to experiment with that but just haven't had the time. Obviously would need some wings or similar re-inforcement, but we're using reinforcement/bracing anyway...

Or maybe pick up a few more drivers and try a line array?

I did an open baffle with foam and a cardboard box somewhere back in this thread. Works well it just looks ugly to me that's all. Also, I missed the bass that once came from my 3.5 in driver which then has to come from a woofer.

Zayne, you stir up some memories with a periscope style system.

This is my first bi-amped system, The bottom chamber has a downfiring woofer and plate amp, the top 2 way is an old set of aluminum cabinets with a front and back tilt as well as a lazy susan swivel on the bottom of the shaft. Those were a lot of fun. Didn't get past that stage though as they weren't the best thing I had done. :)

Attachments

• IMG_4191.jpg
    IMG_4191.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 407
  • IMG_4189.jpg
    IMG_4189.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 403
  • IMG_4192.jpg
    IMG_4192.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 384