Foam Core Board Speaker Enclosures?

Hey,

What do you guys think about applying a sound damping spray like this to the foam core board for vibration reduction?

DEI 050220 Boom Mat Spray-on : Amazon.com : Automotive

It seems like this combination would give many of the benefits of wood while maintaining the "easiness" of foam core. If anything, when my gf and I made a pair of mini cornus from foam core, the foam was vibrating quite a bit from the bass produced...

Beware. That automotive spray is petroleum based and may penetrate the paper covering and dissolve the foam.

There are a bunch of similar products out there that claim to act similarly. I'm sure you could find one that will not destroy the foam. Thanks for the heads up though!

Edit: I just read that comment Cal, thanks for pointing that out! Maybe this spray is worth a shot.

Do you think that the spray would harm the acoustics of the cornu horns if applied to the inside of the channels? It should double as a great sealant!

Last edited:
Hey X, remember when we discussed Dollar Tree and Dollarama? Turns out Dollar Tree in Canada has taken over the Dollar Giant stores. Who knows where it will go but till now Dollarama had the Lions share with over 600 stores but we'll see what happens. They start with less than 100 locations but I'm guessing we'll see more pop up soon. I have a Dollarama a block and a half from home and the newly named Dollar Tree about 1 mile away.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Update on Foam Core Amp -sound clips

I finished my foam core amplifier and ran it with my foam core micro-Cornu's. I guess this makes it the world's first foam core audio "system"? :)

336455d1363460094-tpa3118d2-foam-core-amp4.jpg

I have an update on the foam core amp teamed with the FH3i speakers I recorded some sound samples that you can hear in this post:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/219730-tpa3118d2-12.html#post3425164

I am starting on the build of the sibling TPA3116D2 amp (50 watts/ch at 0.1% THD) using a PCB this time. Progress of that build will be in the same thread as above.

Last edited:
I thought about doing a foam core amplifier but I don't think it would hold up to the heat from the rectifier and power tubes. :D

mike

Did a home brew project last week that worked quite well. I had a bunch of leftovers from some auto body repair. I used two different fiberglass fabrics, the resin mix mashed and clamped between to pieces of aluminum (could also use smooth plywood) covered with old fashioned wax paper.

A little Bondo, some sandpaper, black spray paint and Voila! - Works as good as perf board. Not exactly foam board but strong, DIY and in my case, free :D

Attachments

• HB1.jpg
    HB1.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 453
  • HB2.jpg
    HB2.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 456
  • HB3.jpg
    HB3.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 444
Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Did a home brew project last week that worked quite well. I had a bunch of leftovers from some auto body repair. I used two different fiberglass fabrics, the resin mix mashed and clamped between to pieces of aluminum (could also use smooth plywood) covered with old fashioned wax paper.

A little Bondo, some sandpaper, black spray paint and Voila! - Works as good as perf board. Not exactly foam board but strong, DIY and in my case, free :D

Nice work Bob. You know, if you wanted to make the board stiffer without adding weight, next time wrap the fiberglass around the foam core board to give it extra spacing to put the fiberglass farther away from the center of mass and this stiffens it a lot - like a surfboard. And it would be a heatproof amplifier foam core board.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
My first Foam Core showing

We had some family come from out of town to visit yesterday and this is the first time anyone outside besides you folks in this forum has seen or heard my foam core creations. When they looked at the speakers and picked them up to feel how light they were they were quite incredulous that it would sound good. I showed them the new 'All Foam Core' audio system including the 30 watt/ch foam core amp paired with the Vifa-powered FH3i's. When I pushed 'play' on the CD carousel they were completely blown away by how good it sounded. They couldn't believe the bass coming from a 3.5 in driver, and the detail and imaging, if you have never experienced full range point sources - was understandably, impressive to the uninitiated. Anyhow, it was fun to 'surprise' people. :D

338505d1364265231-tpa3118d2-image.jpg