Foam Core Board Speaker Enclosures?

Baffles installed and drivers mounted. If you look closely, you can see how far from a perfect Pentagon they are. I'm still ****** at myself for not checking but gotta move on.

That's putty around the tweeter to seal off the hole. They have to be rear mounted and I guess I oversized the hole a bit. ;)

Still fooling around with the stuffing but I decided to let loose on them last night. Got the wife mad at me but it was worth it. They are really loud. :D

XO is still a 4Ω resistor but the cap is now 1.5 µfd. Not so much overlap with the woofer. I am getting to like that CSS driver. I know it's expensive but it has really nice mids to go along with the strong bass.

Nice work, I screw up driver holes all the time, so I know the feeling. Keep reminding myself that I need to order a foam core hole cutter and straight/bevel cutter from Art Supplies from Dick Blick Art Materials.

The Pentagons might not be perfect, but if you paint them in a playful color and add a long tail with bows they will look like a kite, perfect for a sound system in a child's bedroom.

Thanks for the encouragement guys.

The sound? Well, I'd like to say I have reinvented the wheel, I have applied for a patent, copyrighted the design, the Folks from Dragon's Den and Shark Tank are lining up, Warren Buffett called I just received my invitation to the Bohemian Club.

Realistically? They are on a par with the large spirals. Many of the same plusses and minuses. Because the bass just oozes out of them it's tough to believe you are listening to a 4.5" driver. They really do reach party levels and are not flopping around like a beached whale. They sound great that loud.

For what they are:
Easy to build even with limited tools
Fast and cheap
Thin, so they can be mounted on a wall and not take up space
Highly portable so you can have them in your shop and move them into your yard in a flash
Unique design and a conversation starter

With all that in one package, how could you say anything bad?

Sonically, you all know from the spirals they are not the end all but I don't regret for a second the time they took. I just regret some of the mistakes I made along the way including the very first one (not perfect shape) so that there's no point in finishing them. Like the others, they will be sent to the speaker dungeon to be with their friends, and I can move onto something else. There are bigger fish that need frying. :)

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
A Party wall speaker eh? Very nice, are you reaching down into the 60 Hz region with the bass or is it mostly above 80 Hz? I actually do not! see the imperfect pentagon you are referring to. They look symmetric to me. Bigger fish to fry would be a huge tapped horn HT sub using Lowes 1 in thick isocyanurate foam sheathing! Build a 10 Hz 110 dB at 1 watt monster.

I have trouble venturing a guess how low it goes as I haven't listened to any test tones yet and with the extra mid bass, it kind of clouds the issue a bit. Thanks for not noticing the flaws and the misshaped box. Look at the top of the left hand box and you'll see where the wood overlaps the foam. On the right box notice the bottom where the wood and foam don't line up. Look at the two, the one on the right, the point is flatter where the one on the left is sharper. It would have been better if I hadn't rotated one of the boxes so at least they were equally wrong but noooooo, I had to throw that extra curveball in there just to royally screw it up. :D

Onto other projects..

Let's see...

In the woofer department, sitting on shelves or hanging on walls I have:
2 Eminence 18" PA
6 Selenium 15" PA
4 Altec 15" PA
1 Akai 15"
1 CSS 12"
A few 10" and smaller

What Dick Dastardly plan can I come up with next...

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Folded Flat MLTL Stereo Speaker

I modified my earlier folded TL stereo wall mount speaker to be a MLTL by adding a constrictor vent. The bass response is much better now. I did not do a full sim, I just ran WinISD to calculate a BR vent based on volume and added the vent at the end of the line. The TL has stuffing in the first 2/3rds and now reaches down into the 50 Hz region with tight punchy bass (see freq response of vent before and after constrictor vent was added).

How does it sound? It sounds great! Very nice office/bedroom speaker and gets quite loud with good stereo separation considering the drivers are about 2 ft apart. Once decorated with a painting or poster, it will blend right in. The bass is very good due to wall loading and of course, no BSC is needed.

Attachments

• P1040132.JPG
    P1040132.JPG
    232.2 KB · Views: 22,338
  • P1040133.JPG
    P1040133.JPG
    212.2 KB · Views: 6,717
  • P1040134.JPG
    P1040134.JPG
    522.2 KB · Views: 8,752
  • Flat-MLTL-Freq-Resp.png
    Flat-MLTL-Freq-Resp.png
    16.5 KB · Views: 6,606
Last edited:
I modified my earlier folded TL stereo wall mount speaker to be a MLTL by adding a constrictor vent. The bass response is much better now. I did not do a full sim, I just ran WinISD to calculate a BR vent based on volume and added the vent at the end of the line. The TL has stuffing in the first 2/3rds and now reaches down into the 50 Hz region with tight punchy bass (see freq response of vent before and after constrictor vent was added).

How does it sound? It sounds great! Very nice office/bedroom speaker and gets quite loud with good stereo separation considering the drivers are about 2 ft apart. Once decorated with a painting or poster, it will blend right in. The bass is very good due to wall loading and of course, no BSC is needed.

Doesn't the measured freq. range looks "erratic" in the 400 to 2.8k Hz range? Maybe your enclosure design is more suited for a 2-way of a mid-bass or FR speaker with a tweeter?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Doesn't the measured freq. range looks "erratic" in the 400 to 2.8k Hz range? Maybe your enclosure design is more suited for a 2-way of a mid-bass or FR speaker with a tweeter?

This is just the vent output. So that's just the higher freq components leaking out of the bass port - rather low level. Notice how constricting the terminus really reduces the HF junk. The majority of the mids and highs are dominated by the direct radiation of the driver.