Foam Core Board Speaker Enclosures?

Nice work Cal! Why is it less fun than Cornu? Looks like fun to me. :D
I happen to have some urethane caulk on hand so it's getting messy. It's hard to get the curves right so I am infilling with caulk. Dirty, dirty, my Mother used to say. :)
Wow, you are taking foam fabrication to the edge. Even if it does not sound as good as the effort applied, you have pioneered a new technique in enclosure materials and construction.
Thanks Ken, I sure hope it sounds good too.
As mentioned many times, the credit really goes to X, he's the one who started this craziness, I am just following in his footsteps.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Cal,
Why did you have to resort to caulking? Couldn't hot melt to tack and a bead of PVA to seal have worked? I agree that grey caulking is a mess especially if it is silicone. I was thinking about the curves you put in after the main channels - are they really needed? They will improve efficiency but may reduce the effectiveness of those sharp bends to act as low pass filters to keep the HF stuff from getting out. Anyhow, this is a really cool and unique design and I am really excited to hear your first listening impressions. Nice work with the channels - the photo of the central chamber with curved throats leading out is really cool and epitomizes the advantages of working with foam core in rapid prototyping. Very nice! :)

Cal,
Why did you have to resort to caulking? Couldn't hot melt to tack and a bead of PVA to seal have worked?
Hot melt was only for the tacking but PVA wouldn't work on the vertical joints and it really is too slow to set up. That would drive me crazy, my time is limited and I'm a naturally impatient person.
I agree that grey caulking is a mess especially if it is silicone.
Far worse than silicone, it's urethane.
I was thinking about the curves you put in after the main channels - are they really needed? They will improve efficiency but may reduce the effectiveness of those sharp bends to act as low pass filters to keep the HF stuff from getting out.
In my mind I am happier with the curves although you may be right.
Anyhow, this is a really cool and unique design and I am really excited to hear your first listening impressions.
Me too, fingers crossed. It is many days away though.
Nice work with the channels - the photo of the central chamber with curved throats leading out is really cool and epitomizes the advantages of working with foam core in rapid prototyping. Very nice! :)
Ya, watching it come together is still really satisfying.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I finally got to see an example of 0.5 in black Gatorboard: it is very nice - flat like a sheet of granite and stiff and strong like good plywood, but light like foam board. They use it at my work to mount big promotional posters and PR material. It seems to be more expensive than BB plywood but I see why - it is closer to an aerospace grade honeycomb structural panel than anything I have seen. You could make an airplane out of it. It would make an awesome and lightweight speaker enclosure. But way pricey... I will have to try home insulation foam sheathing next at $10 for 4x8 ft.

So the interesting part has begun. I am making a big mess and it is going very slowly.

Cutting the channel pieces with a bandsaw works really well but everything else makes me want to cut off my...

This better sound good 'cause this is way less fun to build.

Next time I have a bright idea can someone just smack me up side 'o' the head.

Hey Cal,
I believe this was mentioned earlier, I think by you even, but when I built my set, to combine the strips I cut behind both sides of the paper, folded them over, cut out the foam, and then glued the paper to the next strip. Kinda like a Sheetrock butterfly patch. It looks like you could do the same on those tight corners.

Like I said, probably already discussed. I feel bad for ya though, you are more than likely looking at the belt sander thinking this is the only way to get this stuff off my hands. On a side note, wear rubber gloves when using door and window expanding foam!

All aside, those look awesome.

I cut behind both sides of the paper, folded them over, cut out the foam, and then glued the paper to the next strip.

Hi Zayne,

That's a great idea., I will have to remember that for next time. Next time? OMG - Gulp!- :D

I have now completed the internal channels and after cursing the caulk up and down, I decided to read the label. You know how you assume sometimes? Turns out this isn't urethane, it's butyl caulk meant for gutters, not the stuff for vapour retarders, so I really did curse myself. If had only run to the store for some of that cheap acrylic latex stuff, I would be a lot happier.

So now I am ready to install the backs. Because this is a critical one to seal up tight I will employ the filet method where you glue down a thin strip of paper first to give me a level ledge onto which I can add a heavy layer of PVA for the bonding.

There is light at the end of the tunnel! :)