Foam Core Board Speaker Enclosures?

I finally had some time to lay out my homage to the FH3 in foam core. I scaled it to 30 in tall and internal cross sections scaled relative to TC9FD driver Sd. This gives cabinet dimensions of 4.5 in wide x 5.0 in deep (internal dims). Terminus height is 1.33 in and I plan to flare the back horn out in a smooth expansion to 12 in wide. This serves to provide built in stabilization feet and gives horn more lateral expansion. It increases final horn's expansion ratio by almost 3x, hopefully this will boost the weak bass from the tiny 3.5 in Vifa. As usual, cutting or scoring the wings on the horn allows a nice smooth compound curve that looks great and will be quite rigid once glued. I just have to find a bit of time to glue now. I sim'd this in HR and got a reasonable frequency response curve showing the low bass peak at 73 Hz. There is a big dip around 125 Hz but that should be filled in by Vifa's natural peak there as fs is 125 Hz.

xrk971,

Anxious to hear of your results with this. I've looked at that many times. It's nice to be able to try out ideas quickly in foam!

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Surface Tension,
Yes, it is very quick. The layout on the first one takes longer but with a template formed from first the second should go even faster. It took me 2 hours to carefully layout, develop the curved wings concept and test it, and do final cuts. The second unit shouldn't take more than 30 minutes to cut as they are all mostly long straights. If I can get the bass to go down to 73 Hz with the Vifa, that will be an accomplishment. We will see... this is my first build where i simulated it first to make sure it isn't crazy. :)
Are you still listening to your cornu's?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Update on Frugel Foam 3 progress

Ok, I managed to glue together everything but the base, which is last due to curves. Everything was done with hot glue except for second side panel which was done with pva. I threw in some bracing where needed. I used open cell foam around driver and pillow stuffing elsewhere. The foam let me make a radiused terminus choke point. This is my first foam core speaker with real binding postts. Now just waiting for glue to dry....

It's interesting to note that this is more difficult to build than the cornu since the corners and edges need to be even and square to look good and make a good seal.

Attachments

• Foam-FH3-build-0125137105.jpg
    Foam-FH3-build-0125137105.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 718
  • Foam-FH3-build-02866336856.jpg
    Foam-FH3-build-02866336856.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 710
  • Foam-FH3-build-05-960557547.jpg
    Foam-FH3-build-05-960557547.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 706
  • Foam-FH3-build-04670431727.jpg
    Foam-FH3-build-04670431727.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 676
Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Cal,
I hope it's enough bracing, there is more than picture shows as that was interim. Too late now as she's all buttoned up. We will hear tomorrow. :D
That whole "I will hang out with my buds at the strip club" made me lol, but wouldn't fly at my house ;) You got to love how they put up with our hobby. :)

Good luck with the new cornu first sound tomorrow!

Last edited:
That whole "I will hang out with my buds at the strip club" made me lol, but wouldn't fly at my house ;)
Mine either, that's why I use it. She knows damn well those girls could be my daughter and also knows how long ago I went to one of those places. She appreciates the sentiment and that's why speakers are soooo good all of a sudden.
You got to love how they put up with our hobby. :)
Hmm... seems we still need some form of ammunition.
Good luck with the new cornu first sound tomorrow!
Thanks, can't wait myself. I just hate when it interrupts my sleep though. I hope your mini FH3's have the same effect.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Ok, I managed to glue together everything but the base, which is last due to curves. Everything was done with hot glue except for second side panel which was done with pva. I threw in some bracing where needed. I used open cell foam around driver and pillow stuffing elsewhere. The foam let me make a radiused terminus choke point. This is my first foam core speaker with real binding postts. Now just waiting for glue to dry....

It's interesting to note that this is more difficult to build than the cornu since the corners and edges need to be even and square to look good and make a good seal.

Update: finished gluing the Frugel Foam cabinet. I really like the shape and how it turned out with the flared horn in the back. Still need to cut out hole for driver and mount driver with screws and connect wires. The design is very slim tall and elegant. The flared horn is really needed otherwise additional outrigger feet would have been required. Looking forward to seeing them in action tomorrow.

Attachments

• Foam-FH3-build-101648466299.jpg
    Foam-FH3-build-101648466299.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 280
  • Foam-FH3-build-12670431727.jpg
    Foam-FH3-build-12670431727.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 281
  • Foam-FH3-build-11-960557547.jpg
    Foam-FH3-build-11-960557547.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 309
  • Foam-FH3-build-09866336856.jpg
    Foam-FH3-build-09866336856.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 313
  • Foam-FH3-build-0825137105.jpg
    Foam-FH3-build-0825137105.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 627
Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Frugel Foam 3 (FF3) First Impressions

I mounted the Vifa this morning, used a small amount of stuffing behind driver and no more than 2 inches below it. I only have a mono setup so I will have to say that it may be different with stereo but... what I have heard, I really like. I put it through maybe 6 different songs I use to test sound and they all sound very nice. It is very different in character to Cornu which has a very wide soundstage and has much more mid bass. This FF3 sounds more even in character and the bass appears to go lower in frequency or is more pronounced than Cornu at sub 100 Hz. I almost want to say that it sounds more neutral - almost like a studio monitor. The trebles and and vocals sound fantastic, and there is a nice tight and punchy lower bass. However, it needs more volume before the bass kicks in whereas the Cornu is better at lower volumes. This may have to do with placement - I have it about 2 ft from a wall right now. When I place my hand at the vent, you definitely feel the pressure wave on the kick drums. Amazing bass for a 3.5 in driver actually. It will be interesting to see how it measures and compare to the sims.

I really like the sound which can now do rock much better. I think it is a great speaker in a 30 in cabinet paired with the TC9FD. I highly recommend this build. 3.5 sheets of foam per speaker is required.
Attached is a quick sound clip for you to get the idea of the sound. I had a lot of fun building this and the best part is the speaker looks great.
:)

Attachments

• Foam-FH3-build-finished125137105.jpg
    Foam-FH3-build-finished125137105.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 838
  • Foam-FH3-build-finished2866336856.jpg
    Foam-FH3-build-finished2866336856.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 818
  • Foam-FH3-build-finished3-960557547.jpg
    Foam-FH3-build-finished3-960557547.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 822
  • FrugelFoam3-clip.zip
    971 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
Xrk,
Those look great. Got to thinking on finishing, these could be fiberglass coated, of course that adds a bit to the project. Even a simple cotton material, think t-shirt, could be stretched accords the surface and then coated with resin. Many times this method is used for odd angles or custom boxes, then covered with the fiberglass mesh. May not have to go that far with the foam core providing the strength. Just an idea...

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Zayne,
That's a good idea that I will have to try one day. The polyurethane resin is a sticky noxious mess. I think that pva glue and cloth saturated with it will do a lot. This is cheap and non toxic. The speakers don't really need the strength, they seem to sound pretty good as is. It would add durability to the cabinet and probably raise the resonance frequency. Thanks for the suggestion.

I mounted the Vifa this morning, used a small amount of stuffing behind driver and no more than 2 inches below it. I only have a mono setup so I will have to say that it may be different with stereo but... what I have heard, I really like. I put it through maybe 6 different songs I use to test sound and they all sound very nice. It is very different in character to Cornu which has a very wide soundstage and has much more mid bass. This FF3 sounds more even in character and the bass appears to go lower in frequency or is more pronounced than Cornu at sub 100 Hz. I almost want to say that it sounds more neutral - almost like a studio monitor. The trebles and and vocals sound fantastic, and there is a nice tight and punchy lower bass. However, it needs more volume before the bass kicks in whereas the Cornu is better at lower volumes. This may have to do with placement - I have it about 2 ft from a wall right now. When I place my hand at the vent, you definitely feel the pressure wave on the kick drums. Amazing bass for a 3.5 in driver actually. It will be interesting to see how it measures and compare to the sims.

I really like the sound which can now do rock much better. I think it is a great speaker in a 30 in cabinet paired with the TC9FD. I highly recommend this build. 3.5 sheets of foam per speaker is required.
Attached is a quick sound clip for you to get the idea of the sound. I had a lot of fun building this and the best part is the speaker looks great.
:)

Very nice indeed! I'll have to add this one to the cue. First I need to tidy up my previous projects and make my final 20" cornu for myself. I'm getting backlogged already!