Foam Core Board Speaker Enclosures?

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
The horns reenforce the bass in a very nice way, much more than you could ever expect from a 4" driver. Stuffing the chamber and throats is very easy to get the bass in balance with the rest of the driver. Empty isn't all that bad, and too much is really obvious.

Sounds like a good technique. You could also use an embedded blade (with proper safety considerations) to hold the blade at 90 degrees. Styrofoam really grabs the blade but tape or glue could also be used. Running this jig against the fence sounds good to me. The same type of blocking can be used to make about six very uniform simultaneous bending cuts in a single stroke.

Attachments

• DSC00875.JPG
    DSC00875.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 612
  • DSC00876.JPG
    DSC00876.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 609
  • DSC00873.JPG
    DSC00873.JPG
    918.3 KB · Views: 579
  • DSC00872.JPG
    DSC00872.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 554

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
No, not identical, my horns are 30" square with a 4.25" tall (deep?) throat.

The Foamcore Cornu spiral works very well for getting surprisingly big and good bass out of such a small driver. :) If you are interested in making an enclosure with this technique and materials, I recommend it!

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I found they excel at big band especially brass and woodwinds. My earlier impression with Harry Connick's band was exceptional sounding, the speed and attack of the brass was really cool. I can't seem to get a good impression when playing big classical orchestras. Chamber music is great, but complex classical orchestral stuff no.