Foam Core Board Speaker Enclosures?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Yes, that is the all foam core mini. Keep in mind that it is flat on the floor, weighs as much as air and some paper, and has a 3.5 inch driver. It sounds even better when properly installed on a wall at proper ear height. I was going to say "hung" on a wall but Cal gave grief the last time I used that choice of word.
Thanks for listening..

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Update -

To make a long story short, Liquid Nails is probably not the best adhesive for this - the working time is too short. If they make something similar with a longer working time it would probably be fine.

The perfect thing would be a water-based (or at least water clean-up) construction adhesive with a 20 min working time. I have no idea if such a thing exists.

I may wind up making a third one of these -- at every step the second one is much nicer because I figured out how to do it on the first one... Which is the usual story of DIY.

Then again, I won't know until the glue truly sets and the speaker mounted. It might be fantastic, just a bit rough looking. I'm eager to find out. :) :) :)

Anyway, here is a humorous photo of my 'clamps' - about 60lb (27kg) of paper and cardboard sleeves containing molded petrochemical. It actually worked well. :D

CornuClamp_zpsec503ef4.jpg

Let me ask the question another way. I have the TC9FD18-08 but from PE. Are you all suggesting the 20" is closer to optimum for that driver compared to the full 30"?

BTW, Goop has become my go to adhesive for almost all my projects. It grabs and seals almost everything, It comes in a variety of formulas.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Let me ask the question another way. I have the TC9FD18-08 but from PE. Are you all suggesting the 20" is closer to optimum for that driver compared to the full 30"?

BTW, Goop has become my go to adhesive for almost all my projects. It grabs and seals almost everything, It comes in a variety of formulas.

Bob,
My main reason for making it 20 in was to fit standard foam core sheet sizes, however it is also true that the 30 in size will have a horn tuning freq way too low compared to the vifa's fs of 120 Hz. It may still work but I think the full size is suited for 4 or 5 in drivers.