Foam Core Board Speaker Enclosures?

Joined 2008
Paid Member
I've been thinking about the artwork possibilities from the beginning... The potential is near infinite. It would be really cool to integrate the driver into different images. Wrapped in any of the available speaker cloth colors/textures, the driver could blend in marvelously. Acceptance Factor through the roof!

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I've been thinking about the artwork possibilities from the beginning... The potential is near infinite. It would be really cool to integrate the driver into different images. Wrapped in any of the available speaker cloth colors/textures, the driver could blend in marvelously. Acceptance Factor through the roof!

Yes, I have seen other "Box" speakers wrapped in matching upholstery or drape cloth (glued on with PVA). Similar thing can be done here to make the speakers a matched set with the room decor. Letting your artistically inclined kids/spouse paint a nice graphic that blends in with the black circle in the middle is also a good possibility. Yes, WAF is thru the roof :D

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
phew, 14 pages later....

Was looking for something to put my FR1225S's in. My old 7L towers have outworn the WAF.

Toyed with a PVC Pipe, but getting 6" PVC is not cheap or easy.

I'm surprised no one has thought to vinyl-print some artwork to go on top of the baffle. Probably one of the more decor-flexible designs for speakers I've seen.

Lucky me, I have access to a vinyl print sign making friend.

So my hand is up too.

Great! Welcome on board (literally, foamboard) :) The CSS FR125S looks like an ideal driver for this project. What is vinyl-print - the stuff they use to make signs?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
ST

I have my new Vifa drivers, foam board an plywood - just need a block of time. All the reports are very encouraging. I may have missed the post, but is the router bit you mentioned just for creating the driver mounting hole? Don't see where else it could be used.

Welcome on board too Bob. Good luck with the luan plywood - I am curious to see how that works out.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I need to get a new router bit and glue to finish the second model, maybe this weekend.

Surface Tension,
When you say second model, are you simply repeating the 20 in size with Vifa's but with the nicer plywood face? This is interesting because I wonder how much contribution of the sounds comes from the thin and light foam board front baffle radiating directly? The plywood will sound different and I hope it is for the better. Thanks for working so quickly and keep us posted.

Klampy,
Looks like you are getting pretty handy with hornresp. Neat idea, you and Melotheory ought to get together - he likes big wall blow your face off speaker installations. My only comment is that with an 8 in driver, you should be able to get down to 40 Hz, maybe tweak the tuning length of horn? Looks like fun.... :)

i found that if i tuned it any lower i started getting a dip in the response around the 50-80hz area. which is right where i dont want it... what im thinking about this sim, is that with two drivers, the lower cutoff will be slightly lower which will be more on par with the SS15 i was trying to replicate the response of.

next question on my mind is whether or not the dual 2.5inch drivers will have enough output between them down to 200hz to keep up with the 8inch drivers. and wether they have enough upper extension to do away with a pair of tweeters.

and also, wether to put the 2.5inchers in a small seperate cab, or in a sub section of the main horn. too many ideas.... i still need to draw it up yet, this could potentially even be a spiral.. not sure how the expansion i have on the sim would go as a spiral.

Yes, I have seen other "Box" speakers wrapped in matching upholstery or drape cloth (glued on with PVA). ...

Good point. You can make the driver "disappear".

Step 1: Cover the front panel with a layer of thick cardboard or thin foamboard, just thick enough so that the driver sits flush or just below the surface. Or, glue a small bead around the front edge so that the covering (next step) is lifted slightly up off the panel, as is done with painters' canvases when mounted on wooden frames.

Step 2: Stretch acoustically transparent cloth (curtain netting, "stocking material", lycra stretch fabric) around the speaker and fasten it (glue, staples) to the back panel. The cloth can be coloured / patterned, or you can paint it with fabric paint.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
No option for DIYing in the foreseeable future. I barely have time to just sit and listen to music on my two home systems. :eek: It's all armchair quarterbacking for me currently.

As ST has shown, one who is good with a razor and hot melt glue gun can bang these out in less than 2 hrs. My record is 80 minutes on my second 14 inch spiral. So do what I do and sleep less!

Klampy,
It all depends on how efficient your drivers are vs woofers. If you biamp, you can balance easier. My experience with 2 inch and even 3.5 in FR drivers is that they don't need a tweeter. You need to get drivers with published specs or it can be a lot of time wasted especially for a big wall of sound build.

yep, the horn i posted is with drivers i have specs for, i just have to buy them. lol

and bi-amping isnt really an option at this point, altho i really probably should. i have a pair of car amps i could certainly use for this.. its the power supply i might have issues with..... hmmm now you have me thinking...

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I have an old Sony car audio amp, a tiny 25 w per channel but the thd specs are very good. It was in the bottom of my tool box for 15 years sitting there unused until I thought about all the laptop PS bricks I have lying around. I hooked it up to a 19v 4.6 amp brick fom an old Dell. Connected my old Boston Acoustics HD5's plugged in my ipod and wow, that thing seriously is loud and clean without distortion. I think the 25 w was based on 12 volts. Since I am overdriving it with 19 v, probably getting more. You run the risk of frying your electrolytic caps but hey what the heck.... Short story is, use laptop power supplies. They are plenty and cheap. Give the car audio biamping a try. Use car audio active crossovers too. External hard drives use 12 v 2 amp bricks. That will work if you are too timid to try the 19v;) but cant get much more than 2 to 3 amps for cheap.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Cal,
Thanks For sharing the true cost of your speakerholism :)
Good thing you had drivers already...

My cost on 20 inch minis
$32 drivers including s/h
$6 for foam boards
$1 gluesticks
Free old pillow stuffing
Free spare speaker wiring ( actually old alarm system 4 conductor cable)
8 hrs time
3 days to complete

But then I did not spend any time decorating it

Cost on 14 inch micros
Free old Logitech s120 drivers and amp
$3 in foam boards
$1 gluesticks
4 hrs time
3 days to build

Last edited: