Foam Core Board Speaker Enclosures?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Could the spiral in the cornu be squared out and still have similar bass response but better fultration of higher frequencies ? Or is a round/curved horn always better

This was exactly my thinking when I designed my first Cornu based on my hand drawn plan - I made the internals square and round on the outside for looks and better efficiency. You can probably make the whole thing without a curve - all rectilinear and it would sound different. So, when are you going to give the spiral a try? We know you are pretty handy with a razor and foam boards! :D

Cal,
I am already there with a round one, plan drawn

Show us please. Mine from moons ago is not a spiral but of course it *uck shaped. I am not near that drawing but will share when I can so you can tell me how wrong I am. It starts as a 4' round ply and doesn't need foam board as it's more of a TL opening to a straight sided horn. Maybe I will try a quick sketch. This is dependant on when my wife gets home and I have to be the man about the house again.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Fibonacci Horn

This and many other designs are gathering dust in a box somewhere.

Anyone want to go at this one? Only one horn length, could be a pentagon, or a circle. Mouth needs some detailing

attachment.php
attachment.php

dave

Attachments

• smooth-spirals.png
    smooth-spirals.png
    12.6 KB · Views: 1,280
  • spiral-development.png
    spiral-development.png
    19.8 KB · Views: 1,268
Klampy,
When you say it has to sound similar to the horns you play on, are you referring to the compression loaded driver horns used for rock band type stage speaker boxes? If that is the sound you are after, I have to say that foam core can be used to make a horn just like those in the speakers you are talking about (curves and all on a tractrix) and mount it to a compression driver. Is that what you are talking about?
Xrk971

kinda... i guess ultimately im not actually sure what i really want... i say i want it to sound like PA gear, but then PA gear is generally coloured somewhat... so then, to go flat response would probably be the preferred option.

when i was living at my parents place, i was using my PA speakers to produce on, and i still believe that was when the recording sounded as close to the reproduction as i was going to get/or have gotten. since then, i have tried numerous different sets of Hifi speakers to produce on, and its just not the same.

this is my setup for producing this minute, a pair of Sony Hifi (i think 7inch) and a pair of JVC hifi. (i think 6inch) between the two pairs (attatched in parallel to the amp) they make a nice sound. but its still very bass heavy in the sound they make, but when i play the recordings on other systems, the bass is well overpowering on the recording also... a few weeks back i attatched an EQ into the system, but now i feel like it just sounds muddy instead.. the room is crap, and the speakers just sound dull.. but, in saying this, maybe my ideals for what it should sound like have changed too, since its been nearly two years since i last got right into the vibe.

20121213_1405081.jpg

sorry for the tangent, but im wondering if the cornucopya spirals would give me the sort of close range clarity and bass impact im looking for, without going overboard on the any set range of frequencies which would inturn colour the produced music. (i do dance music just incase we werent sure.)

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
sorry for the tangent, but im wondering if the cornucopya spirals would give me the sort of close range clarity and bass impact im looking for, without going overboard on the any set range of frequencies which would inturn colour the produced music. (i do dance music just incase we werent sure.)

You don't want the Cornu's for close range, and they don't have the dance music bass either. They actually seem to work best when you are about at least 7 ft away, preferably more like 10 ft. They are not flat (based on the reviews) and the models so far. You wouldn't want them for studio monitors.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Show us please. Mine from moons ago is not a spiral but of course it *uck shaped. I am not near that drawing but will share when I can so you can tell me how wrong I am. It starts as a 4' round ply and doesn't need foam board as it's more of a TL opening to a straight sided horn. Maybe I will try a quick sketch. This is dependant on when my wife gets home and I have to be the man about the house again.

It's a sketch on my notebook, I still have to enlarge to full scale and will show you after it is cleaned up. It is similar to regular Cornu but with round overall profile which makes horn mouths have different exit angle.