Foam Core Board Speaker Enclosures?

You saw how easy it was to dress it up with a little veneer, trim pieces and grill cloth. Go for it.

touche. perhaps i will go ahead with my velvet idea. . .

question of opinion, i currently have a square of carpet in the mouth of the horn, it seems to be attenuating some of the higher bass and it actually sounds quite nice like that, the question is, if i cover the box in material, should i leave the mouth open to show the carpet piece, or just cover it over and be done with a one piece finish?

I'm not a speaker designer. I've never even played one on TV. It's just my common sense, of which I have precious little. :)

that's still more than many attendant here, apparently ;)

really just speaking for myself of course

Cal: Sildenafil in any color can be fun, but ain't no substitute for a healthy cardio-vascular system (just reading the potential side effects warnings for any modern magic pills should be enough to give one serious pause for thought) I'm speaking hypothetically, of course - one needs opportunity to test such postulations - and after 40yrs - well, you can do the math - that bean jar was long ago emptied.

Thanks Cal. No, really. Thanks.

My wife: "Where were you? The kids wanted to say good-night to you and what is ALL that you're carrying?"
Me: "I was at the Dollar-rama and this is 16 sheets of Readi-Board."
My wife: "Ready-Board? Why Ready-Board?"
Me: "Yes, Ready-Board and because my friend Cal says that I need it."
My wife: "Cal?!?!? Who is Cal? WAIT! Don't tell me. It has something to do with your amplifier thing?"
Me: "Sort of... it is for the speakers. It was cheap. Dollar-rama you know... and Cal knows his speakers. He's a bona fide expert. And he's Canadian too."
My wife: "Canadian too? So he's not even in this province? And you went out and bought Ready-Board because a guy who told you to?"
Me: "They make for really good speakers you can hang on the wall Honey... and he is an expert."

Well, 16 sheets... it is a start.

You can blame me if you like but I put the blame squarely on the shoulders of xrk. He showed me how to make a really cool set of speakers, that have a high WAF, were quick as the dickens, allowed me to do much of the work in my condo, are a design I have been pondering for years, and end up sounding great.

Expert my ***. I'm still on the first rung of that ladder. :)

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Thanks Cal. No, really. Thanks.

My wife: "Where were you? The kids wanted to say good-night to you and what is ALL that you're carrying?"
Me: "I was at the Dollar-rama and this is 16 sheets of Readi-Board."
My wife: "Ready-Board? Why Ready-Board?"
Me: "Yes, Ready-Board and because my friend Cal says that I need it."
My wife: "Cal?!?!? Who is Cal? WAIT! Don't tell me. It has something to do with your amplifier thing?"
Me: "Sort of... it is for the speakers. It was cheap. Dollar-rama you know... and Cal knows his speakers. He's a bona fide expert. And he's Canadian too."
My wife: "Canadian too? So he's not even in this province? And you went out and bought Ready-Board because a guy who told you to?"
Me: "They make for really good speakers you can hang on the wall Honey... and he is an expert."

Well, 16 sheets... it is a start.

Overtheair, Great to see we have a new start! Whowouldathunk that readiboard from Dollarama can provide so much listening enjoyment? :D
Good thing your wife didn't say who's this Cal or Calista or whatever her name is you met on the internet... :)
Good luck with your build. Are you doing an all foamcore board 20 incher or the larger wood faced 70 cm?

Overtheair, Great to see we have a new start! Whowouldathunk that readiboard from Dollarama can provide so much listening enjoyment? :D
Good thing your wife didn't say who's this Cal or Calista or whatever her name is you met on the internet... :)
Good luck with your build. Are you doing an all foamcore board 20 incher or the larger wood faced 70 cm?

I am probably going to go somewhere between 50 cm and the full 70 cm and experiment just sort of because I have too many projects to finish first (a KT-88 SE, the Amp Camp, and LM1875 amplifier projects and re-capping a SX-780, Quad 303, and maybe even re-capping a Sansui B-1000 for giggles). The workbench bench needs clearing and any of these ought to be able to power the speakers sufficiently.

What caught me with this was two things; my once every blue moon bug Cal with a PM to see whatelse I can learn (and he pointed me to the "Foam Core Speaker Enclosure?" thread) and that I have four rather nice looking Pioneer 3 inch surround sound speakers I salvaged from a ready to run boxed system. From there, I was going to consider maybe liberating a pair of 4 inch Tang Band bamboo speakers from my friend for $50 and cutting out the hole bigger and possibly using an adapter if I want to go backwards.

I have enough 1/4 inch 3 ply floorboard, a couple of tubes of Alex Plus, and Varathane, leftover from my make my wife happy downstairs bathroom reno I did last year and I will see where that leads me.

One question though that has been kind of bugging me though... with this being a single full range driver, why is there no snubber thing-a-majiggy on the back end where other single full range driver speakers often do?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Son of Cornucopya

I got to put the micro Cornucopya (14 in square) in my room and it sounds great! Even with stock Logitech amplifier powering it. It seems to be much louder than stock enclosures, and certainly the richness of the music and enhanced bass is so much better. I leaned it against the window and noticed something very cool: it is translucent and you can clearly see the spirals. Maybe a window suction cup hanger would be the way to mount these guys...

Attachments

• cornucopya-seethru2-847874914.jpg
    cornucopya-seethru2-847874914.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 686
Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I am probably going to go somewhere between 50 cm and the full 70 cm and experiment just sort of because I have too many projects to finish first (a KT-88 SE, the Amp Camp, and LM1875 amplifier projects and re-capping a SX-780, Quad 303, and maybe even re-capping a Sansui B-1000 for giggles). The workbench bench needs clearing and any of these ought to be able to power the speakers sufficiently.

What caught me with this was two things; my once every blue moon bug Cal with a PM to see whatelse I can learn (and he pointed me to the "Foam Core Speaker Enclosure?" thread) and that I have four rather nice looking Pioneer 3 inch surround sound speakers I salvaged from a ready to run boxed system. From there, I was going to consider maybe liberating a pair of 4 inch Tang Band bamboo speakers from my friend for $50 and cutting out the hole bigger and possibly using an adapter if I want to go backwards.

I have enough 1/4 inch 3 ply floorboard, a couple of tubes of Alex Plus, and Varathane, leftover from my make my wife happy downstairs bathroom reno I did last year and I will see where that leads me.

One question though that has been kind of bugging me though... with this being a single full range driver, why is there no snubber thing-a-majiggy on the back end where other single full range driver speakers often do?

What do you mean by snubber? The cone that we have been discussing? I think Don is right in that the cone dimension is too small to matter and the magnet is in the way. Or do you mean stuffing - I have dense stuffing in driver cavity, and into first several inches of throat on bigger one. $50 for four TB bamboos is a good deal. From the specs I think that driver will work well as you want something with a hot top end. What is neat about this project is that it is so cheap and fast, you are not afraid to throw whatever driver you have lying around. Like I did with the no-name Logitech 2 in drivers from my old pc speakers. The Pioneers from your old HT-in-a-box could work really well too.
Good luck.

The baffle step correction circuit is what I mean... Is it called a Zobel? I had better read up some more.

And yes, the speakers look quite nice against the window. Another question though just popped up, would you be treating the enclosure with some kind of varnish or coating since it is paper and so close to a window (condensation, water, humidity)?

And the bamboo TBs is only a pair... the Pioneer surrounds were the 4 speakers (a pair unshielded and other pair shielded -- there was one more that died a horrible death while being used as a test speaker).