Foam Core Board Speaker Enclosures? - Page 91 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd December 2012, 12:30 AM   #901
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Dave Brubeck, Bela Fleck, Sade are all great. The Cornu's are designed for jazz. Miles Davis.... it's all good.
Old 22nd December 2012, 12:39 AM   #902
bcmbob is offline bcmbob  United States
diyAudio Member

You guys are after my own heart. Glad to know there are still a bunch of jazz dudes out there.

Cal, I sent Paul K. a link. Would love to have him try a pair. He leans toward TLs but I bet he would be impressed.
Old 22nd December 2012, 03:28 AM   #903
Illusus is offline Illusus  Canada
diyAudio Member

Neat thread. It's exactly the kind of project that made me fall in love with DIY HiFi.

Hmmm, I have a CNC and a few tons of bendy ply at the shop. Maybe I can sneak some of these into my work day.
Old 22nd December 2012, 09:15 AM   #904
diyAudio Member

i just bought a set of stupidly cheap computer speakers, $19 for a 3" (sub) and two 2" satellite speakers, amped. it sounds kinda ok, clear and with a bit of bass. im thinking about the cornu, but a bit different.

i like things to be symmetrical so, because i want just one spiral, thats not symmetrical. so keep eyes out next month for my (still planning) next diy foamcore project.
Old 22nd December 2012, 09:29 AM   #905
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by klampykixx View Post
i just bought a set of stupidly cheap computer speakers, $19 for a 3" (sub) and two 2" satellite speakers, amped. it sounds kinda ok, clear and with a bit of bass. im thinking about the cornu, but a bit different.

i like things to be symmetrical so, because i want just one spiral, thats not symmetrical. so keep eyes out next month for my (still planning) next diy foamcore project.
Cheap pc speakers is what I used for my 14 inch cornu (2 in drivers). You could put a two layer spiral which is kind of like one spiral, just thicker...
Do you have a photo?
Old 22nd December 2012, 10:04 AM   #906
diyAudio Member

dont mind the finger prints. i have already had it open to suss out whats inside.. lol

put a bit of wadding in the "sub" too. softened the midbass a smidgen.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 22nd December 2012, 11:57 AM   #907
diyAudio Member

Klampy,
Those look perfect for a project like this. I have always wanted to try one of this concave aluminum drivers. Use the amp that comes with it too.
Good luck!
Old 22nd December 2012, 04:24 PM   #908
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcmbob View Post
You guys are after my own heart. Glad to know there are still a bunch of jazz dudes out there.

Cal, I sent Paul K. a link. Would love to have him try a pair. He leans toward TLs but I bet he would be impressed.
Bob,
If you have Brubeck's 'Ode to a Cowboy', it sounds really nice in the cornu. I am thinking about building either a 24 incher like yours or a full size 28 incher like Cal's next. I like the size of the 24 incher, is there enough room in the driver cavity for a 4.0 inch cutout? I am thinking the w4 bamboo cone driver might be nice. The 24 incher lets me get smaller sheets of plywood, and is a more manageable size. 28 inches starts to move lower on the WAF scale.
Old 22nd December 2012, 04:30 PM   #909
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illusus View Post
Maybe I can sneak some of these into my work day.
You're exactly what we need in this thread. I would love to see these in bendy ply.
Old 22nd December 2012, 06:08 PM   #910
bcmbob is offline bcmbob  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
Bob,
If you have Brubeck's 'Ode to a Cowboy', it sounds really nice in the cornu. I am thinking about building either a 24 incher like yours or a full size 28 incher like Cal's next. I like the size of the 24 incher, is there enough room in the driver cavity for a 4.0 inch cutout? I am thinking the w4 bamboo cone driver might be nice. The 24 incher lets me get smaller sheets of plywood, and is a more manageable size. 28 inches starts to move lower on the WAF scale.
I'll look for that piece in the collection.

I'm finding program selection is critical in the big orchestral pieces. These seem to be sensitive to what the A&R guy did with the mids in the recording. Found a couple that sound good but trios and string quartets sound fantastic on these.

Your plan for a 4" driver in a 24" cornu is probably dependent on the size of the magnet. Maybe pulling back that first throat divider might not cause a major problem with the internal dynamics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20121222_135351.jpg (124.3 KB, 366 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!