Foam Core Board Speaker Enclosures? - Page 9 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th November 2012, 09:36 PM   #81
xrk971 is online now xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

That is smart to use reprographics and table saw to improve accuracy and save time. I can say that I literally made these by hand as only an X-acto and a ruler and pencil were used - slow way. You will have to hand adjust the channel spacing towards the inside to end up at 1.5 inches.
Old 27th November 2012, 11:36 PM   #82
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Yes I will do that. I am looking at how as we speak.
Old 27th November 2012, 11:43 PM   #83
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Wouldn't it be easier to increase the width of the channel dividers to 4.5" from 3"? Then I could keep everything else the same.
Old 28th November 2012, 12:22 AM   #84
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Weldon View Post
Wouldn't it be easier to increase the width of the channel dividers to 4.5" from 3"? Then I could keep everything else the same.
Yes, but the dividers get rather tall and may need bracing - which is why the original design uses that middle divider plate that is such a pain. But then again, there may not be an issue since the dividers are foam core and do not resonate the same way a thin wood panel would. You can also glue small strips of bracing internally between the channel walls to reduce the possibility of resonances. I think that is the ticket... So your blueprint will be exact and you don't need to monkey with the channel plan. It sounds like you have a full workshop and are really handy with tools so I think this is going to turn out looking and sounding great. Those drivers you have will absolutely rock. What kind of amp were you planning on driving it with?

Last edited by xrk971; 28th November 2012 at 12:27 AM.
Old 28th November 2012, 12:28 AM   #85
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Good thoughts. If I use the 3" and try to increase the opening to 1.5" how do I do that without shortening the length of the horns?
Old 28th November 2012, 12:30 AM   #86
diyAudio Member

I just noticed that this thread broke 2000 views! I am glad people are following this, it would be great to hear and see examples of foam core DIY from others... Please post pictures if you have examples folks.
Old 28th November 2012, 12:34 AM   #87
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Weldon View Post
Good thoughts. If I use the 3" and try to increase the opening to 1.5" how do I do that without shortening the length of the horns?

You have a point, it worked for me because I used a smaller driver and had luxury of scaling depth back to suit. I actually opted for shorter channels to get a 20 inch square but concluded it would be fine as my driver has a Fs of 120 Hz and the lowest freq channel was 61 Hz (1.2 m I think). You should go with 4.5 in depth and use bracing strips throughout.
Old 28th November 2012, 12:52 AM   #88
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

I am heating my glue as we type so I can do a little practicing. I have 25 sheets after all.
Old 28th November 2012, 12:53 AM   #89
diyAudio Member

hi, just read the thread, great read!

i was thinking about making a slim cab wether back loaded horn, or spiral or whatever, to sit my laptop on top of, running either 2x 3inch(sony- ex HomeTheatre) or 2x4inch (JVC- ex HT) drivers. looking for just a little bit more bass and a tad more volume than what the Laptop speakers can muster. im prepared to build out of Ply, but would also be interested in keeping it light for my backpack the lappy fits into. especially after finding the styrene board works well, so thin and light is also a key factor.

any suggestions? would i be better off doing a small sealed enclosure? or will i get a small horn in that area?

primarily listen to dance music, and epic bass is well out of the reach of this i know. but surely anything would be better than the laptop speakers... lol

thanks in advance for any info
Old 28th November 2012, 01:20 AM   #90
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by klampykixx View Post
hi, just read the thread, great read!

i was thinking about making a slim cab wether back loaded horn, or spiral or whatever, to sit my laptop on top of, running either 2x 3inch(sony- ex HomeTheatre) or 2x4inch (JVC- ex HT) drivers. looking for just a little bit more bass and a tad more volume than what the Laptop speakers can muster. im prepared to build out of Ply, but would also be interested in keeping it light for my backpack the lappy fits into. especially after finding the styrene board works well, so thin and light is also a key factor.

any suggestions? would i be better off doing a small sealed enclosure? or will i get a small horn in that area?

primarily listen to dance music, and epic bass is well out of the reach of this i know. but surely anything would be better than the laptop speakers... lol

thanks in advance for any info
What is max dimensions of your laptop speaker stand? For dance music I think a folded mass loaded TML is the way to go. 3 or 4 in drivers are quite big for the size cabinet you are thinking of. Maybe a 2 in driver would work?

Hide this!Advertise here!