Foam Core Board Speaker Enclosures?

I was wondering about a different glue also. Sub-floor or Construction comes to mind but I wasn't sure about how to make it work, and it wouldn't dry clear either.

You can get Bendy-Ply rather than the MDF stuff, so there is no kerfing. Not sure it would be as easy as the foam though.

http://www.plytech.co.nz/userDocuments/SpecSheets/Bendy_Ply.pdf

I just noticed the thread got moved to Full Range Speakers - I guess that is more appropriate.

Ya, I thought it would get more interest here. We have moved past the Construction part and are into the actual projects. Later I might split mine off or even do a step by step project thread. We'll see, it depends on how well they come out, right? :)

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
The Son of Cornu

OK, I am getting restless not having held a hot glue gun in my hand for over several days now. Sounds like an addiction... I have an idea to try out the Cornu spiral on a smaller scale with 2 inch drivers. In fact, I will be cannibalizing a cheapy set of Logitech S-120 computer speakers with what appears to resemble a Visaton FRS 2-inch fullrange. It is labeled 5W 4 Ohms on the back and actually looks pretty decent. I plan to drive it with the Logitech chipamp that came with the speakers (probably 3 W/channel). I will shrink the Cornu plan down to circa 14 in square x 2 in deep and mount these on the wall next to my desk as the ultimate compact fullrange PC speakers. I am laying out the plan now, it looks like I can get a 43 in long and 28 inch long channels in a 14 in square. This will give me tuning frequencies of 74 Hz, and 120 Hz, respectively. We will see how much bass enhancement below 120 Hz I can get with these beauties... If this works out, it might be a little easier and more of a starter scale project for those intimidated by the full scale Cornu spiral that Cal took on by the horns.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I think there isn't a speaker DIY'er out there who hasn't cut a hole in a cardboard box just to see what it sounds like - and as we know... it can sound pretty good! The foamcore board is the next step up to give it more shape so you can control geometry better, and thus better sounding, and it looks better. I still have a cardboard box (covered in vinyl contact paper) transmission line that I use everyday in one of the bedrooms with the mp3 player.

Last edited:
I think that would be hard to work with and a lot more expensive than the Dollar Giant stuff at $1.25 per board. Google Dollar Giant or Dollar Tree and find one close to you. Took a couple of tries before I found a store that had it though. I didn't bother calling because even when I found it, the lady at the front said they didn't have anything like it.

IG81,
How does your foam core BK10 sound?

From memory and then only a brief listen back then, sounded OK, though I felt some mid-bass was lost making the whole thing vibrate. I did not brace it more than what the internal foldings provided. Buying a butt-load of foamcore sheets, laminating 3 or 4 thick might be decent enough for low levels. I get these in 20" x 30" formate in dollar stores, ~1.50$ each IIRC.

IG

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Simply put, no. It would be much more difficult to work with.

Now, it WOULD make a great baffle material if you laminated layers of it- you'd have to seal the edges though so as not to have a leakage path.

I would not be so quick to dismiss this material without first trying it. It may be difficult to cut but if you had a way to cut it, hot melt would glue it just fine. Elmer's glue of course won't work. I think there is potential here. You can even fill the channels with sand and seal off with hot melt glue to get good damping on certain surfaces like front baffle. It will probably cut easily with hot wire cutters. Tin snips would work but leave an ugly edge.