Foam Core Board Speaker Enclosures?

Wow this thread is getting close to 100,000 views! If I were going to use the Tang Band W3-881SI what size Cornu should I build? How deep should it be built. Awesome thread I hope to building something this weekend in foamboard. Wish me luck. Surprised no one has put up a YouTube video of these speakers yet.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Motownman,
Nice job! You may want to add bracing so there are no more than 3 to 4 in long spans without bracing. Otherwise you may get some 'breathing mode' vibrations. Double up the foam core where the driver mounts to get some additional strength. I have not made a straight TABAQ yet, I have flattened and folded them but straight is cool. :)
Thanks for trying it.
X

There are three more braces down the line....took the picture too early. Still have not put on the top yet (waiting for PE to deliver my drivers....backordered until April 15th....)

Actually, to your idea of the added baffle......

I was going to do that...but also keep it to where I could add a larger baffle to see if there is any differences....maybe up to a full sheet just for giggles and grins. I put a larger plate on the bottom of it and have it mounted on four spikes for now and will build the second one Sunday morning. Slick, slick, slick. Folks over at the PE Techtalk kind of made fun of my "test box". Means you are on to something here....

Those are awesome X! Yeah, mine are just a simple straight-line copy of the TABQW. I have never built a simple straight one, but was very interested. Have built a ton of folded pipes though. I wish I still had pictures of the RS's I had built over the years... But, I have been looking at the really stiff pink foam board they have at home depot. What a wonderful opportunity to build an 8' tall folded TQWP for a nice, cheap, 12" driver! If using 1" thick foam, two sheets would be around $50. Super easy to cut with a hot knife. Get a high Q 12" driver without much xmax and I bet you could floor (literally) people. I even figured out a way of stress-loading to the floor using allthread and some big fender washers from the ceiling...details to come soon.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
You may not need 1 in thick, use 0.5 in thick but use copious bracing. keeps price of foam down. That pink stuff is nice, I have been eyeing it for a massive BIB with 12 in driver. You can also put the driver on the diagonal divider and turn it into a tapped horn sub - would have to redesign with HornResp but would be interesting to make a 10 Hz sub. I have also wondered how to make a collapsible 'take down' BIB with these foam panels and glued-on flexible rubber coated hinges (rain coat slicker material) and locking braces. You can flatten it and bring to a party to set up in a snap. Throw a pillow inside for stuffing. Connect a little 300 w/ch class D amp like the TAS5630B from TI (or one of the numerous multi-hundred watt DIY class D amps being built on the the class D forum) and rock out. It would look pretty interesting being all pink.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Not sure if this is foam core but sure looks like it. Posted in the Pass Labs photos section. Very cool. :)

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/166784-pictures-your-diy-pass-amplifier-182.html#post3442962

DSCN0600_zps15e45f38.jpg