Foam Core Board Speaker Enclosures? - Page 78 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th December 2012, 03:19 PM   #771
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Shearer View Post
Altec Lansing 405A
Hi Jim, That driver looks very adaptable as you'll notice huge changes in the low end depending on the stuffing in the center chamber. You may find that a lot less stuffing is needed for the Altecs.
Old 17th December 2012, 04:03 PM   #772
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

I just looked at the specs for the Altec 405a driver. Looks like it could work well in a Cornu, but lacks a sparkling high end which may be needed to balance the large bass output of the horn. You can always add stuffing to balance out though. It's an older driver but has high sensitivity of 92 db. It's a good size though at 4 inch nominal size.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...55325884,d.dmQ
Old 17th December 2012, 06:25 PM   #773
bcmbob is offline bcmbob  United States
diyAudio Member

Couldn't this enclosure be converted to a two way with something like the Audax 10 mm Dome. I have used several over the years and consider them quite a bargain.
Old 18th December 2012, 12:10 AM   #774
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcmbob View Post
Couldn't this enclosure be converted to a two way with something like the Audax 10 mm Dome. I have used several over the years and consider them quite a bargain.
Bob,

I have thought about this 2 way idea too. I was looking at the Pioneer TS A878 3.5 inch coaxial two way. It has some nice specs and good efficiency. It might be a drop in swap for the Vifa cutout? Your suggestion of a discrete tweeter could be done by putting the tweeter a little offset, or stretching out the driver cavity to an oval or rectangle rather than square. We had a discussion about rectangular cornu's earier. Someone should try it or my coaxial idea.

Amazon.com: Pioneer TS-A878 3 1/2 Inch 2-Way Speakers: Car Electronics
Old 18th December 2012, 12:29 AM   #775
bcmbob is offline bcmbob  United States
diyAudio Member

I have two of the Audax on hand. Can one of you gurus suggest a super simple crossover to match them up with the Vifa TC9FD-18-08. I know that's a full range, but a split in the spectrum might relieve some of the load on the Vifa. I have some 3" woofers also, but I'll have to find the specs.
Old 18th December 2012, 01:21 AM   #776
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
We had a discussion about rectangular cornu's earier. Someone should try it or my coaxial idea.
Ive been considering a pair of cornus with my little Alpine 4inch coax drivers. but would also like to do a rectangular horn with my (also) Alpine TypeR 6x9 drivers.

if bass is where its at, id like to have a set of speakers that effortlessly pumps it out. im very much disliking my BR speakers for this reason, they seem very strained to do any real output.

so, i guess the Q comes to what happens to the horn path when its stretched one direction only? someone said it shrinks in sections?
Old 18th December 2012, 02:20 AM   #777
diyAudio Member

There's nothing magic about the Cornu's "split horn" design. (Short "primary" horns, each splitting into long and short "secondary" horns.) Modelling indicates that the area discontinuity where the horns join causes the main resonance to be higher than it otherwise could be.

You could just as easily design it as a single length horn in Hornresp, then coil two horns each half the area of the single horn so that they exit from the short sides of the (rectangular) enclosure.
Old 18th December 2012, 02:28 AM   #778
diyAudio Member

Klampy,
If you stretch it in one direction, the path lengths of the nominally 2 x long and 2 x short horns will change to have 4 different lengths. This may be an advantage by having multi horn frequencies blend to be smoother in output frequency.
Old 18th December 2012, 02:30 AM   #779
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcmbob View Post
I have two of the Audax on hand. Can one of you gurus suggest a super simple crossover to match them up with the Vifa TC9FD-18-08. I know that's a full range, but a split in the spectrum might relieve some of the load on the Vifa. I have some 3" woofers also, but I'll have to find the specs.
The TC9FD needs no tweeter, you would be adding the messy crossover into an otherwise Nice FR. Maybe a sub to make it into a FAST but no tweeter.
Old 18th December 2012, 02:46 AM   #780
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
The TC9FD needs no tweeter, you would be adding the messy crossover into an otherwise
Just use a half uF cap & mount it on the back for ambience

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!