Foam Core Board Speaker Enclosures? - Page 74 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th December 2012, 01:17 AM   #731
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Cool, thanks. Where did you end up on stuffing?

I have 4 slabs of 38"x7' foamcore gathering dust. Might as well put them to good use.
Old 15th December 2012, 01:30 AM   #732
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Stuffed main driver cavity pretty densely, and loosely stuffed about 2 to 3 inches down the throat of each channel. You have to experiment with this. Surface Tension stuffed the mouths inwards with half of a pillow and got good results that way. According to Cal it makes a big difference how much. I got lucky first time.
Old 15th December 2012, 02:06 AM   #733
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Member

Update -

To make a long story short, Liquid Nails is probably not the best adhesive for this - the working time is too short. If they make something similar with a longer working time it would probably be fine.

The perfect thing would be a water-based (or at least water clean-up) construction adhesive with a 20 min working time. I have no idea if such a thing exists.

I may wind up making a third one of these -- at every step the second one is much nicer because I figured out how to do it on the first one... Which is the usual story of DIY.

Then again, I won't know until the glue truly sets and the speaker mounted. It might be fantastic, just a bit rough looking. I'm eager to find out.

Anyway, here is a humorous photo of my 'clamps' - about 60lb (27kg) of paper and cardboard sleeves containing molded petrochemical. It actually worked well.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 15th December 2012, 02:17 AM   #734
diyAudio Member

The 20 min water based glue might just be Gorilla glue that Cochleus suggested. I have the same picture of books and dumbbells stacked on for a clamp too. It's amazing how much weight that foam can take in straight down compression. You are almost there....
Old 15th December 2012, 02:19 AM   #735
diyAudio Member

Will look into that - I'm actually researching glues this very minute.
Old 15th December 2012, 02:26 AM   #736
diyAudio Member

Both these glues fits my stated requirements -- I think I will try the Gorilla.

Gorilla Glue - Wood Glue

http://www.shoplet.com/Scotch-Quick-...i_sku=MMM6052B
Old 15th December 2012, 07:17 AM   #737
bcmbob is offline bcmbob  United States
diyAudio Member

Let me ask the question another way. I have the TC9FD18-08 but from PE. Are you all suggesting the 20" is closer to optimum for that driver compared to the full 30"?

BTW, Goop has become my go to adhesive for almost all my projects. It grabs and seals almost everything, It comes in a variety of formulas.

Last edited by bcmbob; 15th December 2012 at 07:30 AM.
Old 15th December 2012, 09:16 AM   #738
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcmbob View Post
Let me ask the question another way. I have the TC9FD18-08 but from PE. Are you all suggesting the 20" is closer to optimum for that driver compared to the full 30"?

BTW, Goop has become my go to adhesive for almost all my projects. It grabs and seals almost everything, It comes in a variety of formulas.
Bob,
My main reason for making it 20 in was to fit standard foam core sheet sizes, however it is also true that the 30 in size will have a horn tuning freq way too low compared to the vifa's fs of 120 Hz. It may still work but I think the full size is suited for 4 or 5 in drivers.
Old 15th December 2012, 09:48 AM   #739
bcmbob is offline bcmbob  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks, That's much more convent and more efficient with the standard 2 & 4 ft. widths for plywood.
Old 15th December 2012, 10:31 AM   #740
diyAudio Member

Bob,
If you are going to use plywood in 2x4 ft sheets, a 24 incher will probably work with the Vifa tc9fd, or a 4 incher like a Tang Band.

Hide this!Advertise here!