Foam Core Board Speaker Enclosures?

Played with the stuffing and tweeters. I have a feeling the tiny little domes are going to win the HF contest. The others need so much padding that you suck the life right out of them. As of now they sound semi-ok with 4Ω series and a 2.2 µfd cap but there's to much overlap overlap so I will reduce the resistor size and use a lower value cap.

The bass is as much as a Cornu, but is much better defined, as in 'apparent transient response' [ more punchy, if you like that term]. Still, the mid bass is a little bloated like the Cornu but when I added stuffing to the throats, it cut it off all together so I am still experimenting. Back in a while.

Cheers. :cheers:

Attachments

• IMG_1249.jpg
    IMG_1249.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 517
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Bob,
Thanks for the tip on the tweeter, those will be handy to have around. Did you see the Vifa coaxial for $14? That looks very promising too. Let me know when you are ready to do the FH3i's I can walk you or anyone else interested through it. Very rewarding speaker to listen to and it looks great. What amp are you working on right now? I am halfway through assembling my TI TPA3118 class D 25 watt amp that can fit on a credit card when I do it as a pcb.

I have been wrapped up in the LM3886 chip world for the past few years. Decided to check out the Pass/discrete side for comparison.

Nelson devised the Amp Camp #1 as a simple intro for youth and other nu-bees to get started with a Class A discrete. They are a nice match for the Cornus as you get excellent sound at super low cost ~ $34

I'm doing a power supply mod in an attempt to eliminate the external bricks. Will eventually combine into one chassis.

ACA Power Supply Project.

And just like foam core speakers, one just isn't enough :D, I went for a full blown discrete mostly because there are so many raves on so many threads I could no longer resist. It isn't a bonafied/approved Pass item but it got me in the ballpark. There is a lot of heat produced by discrete amps so I trying to incorporate PC cooling techniques with amp building. The jury is still out.:rolleyes:

BLAT 2 Discrete Project.

As there is no SWMBO or other adult supervision in the castle it's anyone's guess where it all will lead.:confused:

Attachments

• AC4.jpg
    AC4.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 453
  • B3.jpg
    B3.jpg
    284.2 KB · Views: 383
Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I have been wrapped up in the LM3886 chip world for the past few years. Decided to check out the Pass/discrete side for comparison.

Nelson devised the Amp Camp #1 as a simple intro for youth and other nu-bees to get started with a Class A discrete. They are a nice match for the Cornus as you get excellent sound at super low cost ~ $34

I'm doing a power supply mod in an attempt to eliminate the external bricks. Will eventually combine into one chassis.

ACA Power Supply Project.

And just like foam core speakers, one just isn't enough :D, I went for a full blown discrete mostly because there are so many raves on so many threads I could no longer resist. It isn't a bonafied/approved Pass item but it got me in the ballpark. There is a lot of heat produced by discrete amps so I trying to incorporate PC cooling techniques with amp building. The jury is still out.:rolleyes:

BLAT 2 Discrete Project.

As there is no SWMBO or other adult supervision in the castle it's anyone's guess where it all will lead.:confused:

Bob,
Looks really interesting and like a lot of fun. I see aquarium pumps and air to water heat xchangers. Is that from your pc stuff? The problem with class a is the heat and you are dealing with it the most compact way known. Does it really sound better than a good class D amp? So all the parts are $34 (not including heat xchanger)? I am working on a 25 watt amp that puts out 2.5watts excess only when driven to full load with continuous sine wave. In fact, I may solder a copper penny to chip as heat sink for normal music loads. You have gotten me interested in a Pass design though - looks easy enough to build.

We are gonna get slammed for being too far off topic, but...

"....... I see aquarium pumps and air to water heat xchangers."

I started water cooling PCs about eight years ago. Got tired of paying $50 to $80 for good pumps so I modified an aquarium pump ($9) and combined it with the reservoir. It's been perfect cooling dual Core II CPUs and two Quadro workstation graphic cards.

I've become a believer in the "There's no such thing as the best amp." theory. With today's offerings just about everything one builds really sounds good. IMHO, It's more important to match an amp to a given set of speakers within one's budget and listening room dimensions. My reference amp is still the MyRef Fremen Edition but it is an overshoot with the Cornu and other full range designs. My other favorite (non Pass/discrete) match for the small to medium foam core projects is a $25 TDA7294 kit that I call the "Tiny Giant". Simply amazing sound for the size and cost. It's available from several eBay vendors.

The discrete design can lead to amps the size of small freezers and require a private substation for power - most of the mass being heat sink. The Pass path has been fun, interesting and fulfilling with gobs of references to pull from. It might be very attractive to many foam core advocates as they already have shown high interest in experimentation.

Let us know the results for your TPA3118 build. I've heard many accolades on those amps.

Attachments

• 20130303_094630.jpg
    20130303_094630.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 688
  • 20130303_094640.jpg
    20130303_094640.jpg
    362 KB · Views: 672
Last edited:
We are gonna get slammed for being too far off topic, but...

"....... I see aquarium pumps and air to water heat xchangers."

I started water cooling PCs about eight years ago. Got tired of paying $50 to $80 for good pumps so I modified an aquarium pump ($9) and combined it with the reservoir. It's been perfect cooling dual Core II CPUs and two Quadro workstation graphic cards.

I've become a believer in the "There's no such thing as the best amp." theory. With today's offerings just about everything one builds really sounds good. IMHO, It's more important to match an amp to a given set of speakers within one's budget and listening room dimensions. My reference amp is still the MyRef Fremen Edition but it is an overshoot with the Cornu and other full range designs. My other favorite (non Pass/discrete) match for the small to medium foam core projects is a $25 TDA7294 kit that I call the "Tiny Giant". Simply amazing sound for the size and cost. It's available from several eBay vendors.

The discrete design can lead to amps the size of small freezers and require a private substation for power - most of the mass being heat sink. The Pass path has been fun, interesting and fulfilling with gobs of references to pull from. It might be very attractive to many foam core advocates as they already have shown high interest in experimentation.

Let us know the results for your TPA3118 build. I've heard many accolades on those amps.

How would you do a setup for gen 1 ps3?

your new 5-way. ;) Did you get them tuned in to your liking?

No, honey was on the warpath this weekend so I spent a lot of time saying "yes dear."

I will kick off a little early today so I can cut and mount whatever I decide for the baffle. Maybe tomorrow I can get back to serious listening.

I was wondering what you meant by 5 way - till suddenly a light went on. Or was it only a candle? ;)

No, honey was on the warpath this weekend so I spent a lot of time saying "yes dear."

I will kick off a little early today so I can cut and mount whatever I decide for the baffle. Maybe tomorrow I can get back to serious listening.

I was wondering what you meant by 5 way - till suddenly a light went on. Or was it only a candle? ;)

Ahhh, a weekend of warfare, aren't they fun! Never a way to win those for us.

It wasn't a light or candle that went on, it was "Honey" smacking your head to stop writing in the forum, and get back to the "honey-do's".