Foam Core Board Speaker Enclosures?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I use the CSS driver as the Fostex is back in the 27". This will be 30" at the points. I am thinking the channels that start at 1" width should be around 4" deep. What do you think?

Cal,
the driver chamber throat CSA is about 130 cm sq, the volume at 4 in deep is 3900 cm cube, thus the upper cutoff freq given by fh = c x Athroat / (2 pi x Vchamber) = 180 Hz. Perfect for bass enhancement from horn. 4 inches is good number.
X

Last edited:
Guangui,
For the small cabinet you describe you may be better off buying a couple of computer monitor 2.1 speakers and use the sub cabinet and driver. The cabinet I have in mind for the 40 Hz to 100 Hz with the NS6 is about 27 in tall x 8 in wide x 12 in deep - kind of big but the performance you get is good. A very long folded transmission line might be able to fit in the dimensions you have to reach 40 Hz. You need about a 2.2 m pathlength to get to 40 Hz so the channel will probably spiral around like a Cornu but not be a horn - a tapered TL spiral that gets smaller at the port.

Yep. that's more or less the dims. I came up with an NS6. Too big for my purpose. I can reach similar low freq. (39 Hz) with the 5" Visaton in a much smaller enclosure. Let me think about it, and see if it would work as a compliment to a pair of full range on-wall Cornu-Spiral.

I will need a tweeter with the CSS mid bass drivers so the OEM polycarbonate domes, Technics paper cones, Hi-Vi SS1-II fabric domes and the CSS RT1 ribbons all followed me home today.

I have a feeling the ribbon motors will take up too much space inside but I am hoping to find a nice match with one of the other three, something I can fit fairly close to the woofers.

Just thinking out loud for now as that part is still days away. :)

Cheers.

Attachments

• IMG_1223.jpg
    IMG_1223.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 388
I vote for Hivi fabric domes. Do you have enough space?
Yes but it means moving it further from the bass unit
What is a 416?
416-8C
God! I hate it when inanimate objects do that! I always have a difficult time explaining that "Twilight Zone Effect" to my wife...:D
Mine stopped asking a long time ago. :D Thankfully these are not recent purchases, just stuff othwerwise collecting dust.

EDIT: I was in a rush. If the HiVi dome sounds best [I use that tweeter for the livingroom TV] I will use it. I will simulate where the tweeter can actually be placed before the final decision is made. I hate to admit it though, I am still a sucker for a good paper cone tweeter. Call me old fashioned but if the Technics happens to win, I won't beat myself up over it, and I do have others I can bring to the table to make sure I'm not being an sentimental idiot. :)

So the interesting part has begun. I am making a big mess and it is going very slowly.

Cutting the channel pieces with a bandsaw works really well but everything else makes me want to cut off my...

This better sound good 'cause this is way less fun to build.

Next time I have a bright idea can someone just smack me up side 'o' the head.

Attachments

• IMG_1224.jpg
    IMG_1224.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 427
  • IMG_1226.jpg
    IMG_1226.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 413
  • IMG_1228.jpg
    IMG_1228.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 418
  • IMG_1231.jpg
    IMG_1231.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 428
So the interesting part has begun. I am making a big mess and it is going very slowly.

Cutting the channel pieces with a bandsaw works really well but everything else makes me want to cut off my...

This better sound good 'cause this is way less fun to build.

Next time I have a bright idea can someone just smack me up side 'o' the head.

No need to smack you, usually when one gets this kind of ideas there is no stopping anyone. Waiting for the end result. So, less posting more fabricating...:D You can post everything when done.