Foam Core Board Speaker Enclosures? - Page 7 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th November 2012, 02:02 PM   #61
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
I was absolutely blown away
Congratulations!

That's great to hear but I have to tell you, I'm not the least bit surprised. The only thing holding so many persons back is the build. I have contemplated this for years but this is the first time there is light at the end of the tunnel. You've really encouraged me.

Now, seeing that you have been won over by the cabinet, have you changed your mind about me using the VWR126's from CSS?
Old 26th November 2012, 04:45 PM   #62
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Weldon View Post
Congratulations!

That's great to hear but I have to tell you, I'm not the least bit surprised. The only thing holding so many persons back is the build. I have contemplated this for years but this is the first time there is light at the end of the tunnel. You've really encouraged me.

Now, seeing that you have been won over by the cabinet, have you changed your mind about me using the VWR126's from CSS?
Cal,
Thank you! The VWR126's sound like a nice driver (is there a SPL vs freq chart?) - you have them already so I look forward to hearing your results with your build. They frankly would be too much music for my house given that they have a 6 mm stroke and handle 100W. That would absolutely shake the walls with how efficient the bass is with these cabinets. I am thinking of the Mark Audio CHR70 ( http://www.madisound.com/store/manua...lack%20Eng.pdf ) - which is more along in keeping in line with the budget philosophy of the foam core cabinets.
The point is to have fun, and I can certainly attest to the fun factor with this build. Given the huge reward in sound quality, it makes the fun all the more worth pursuing.
Regards,
xrk971
Old 26th November 2012, 05:10 PM   #63
diyAudio Member

The new Jordan wide range driver looks like it would just KILL if mounted in the spiral horn. This thing has a 42 Hz Fs, and 5 mm of linear stroke. This may be bass overkill if using the spiral horns as they have a smooth 24:1 expansion. What other horn is there that is this compact and has this kind of expansion ratio?

Jordan loudspeaker drive units
Old 26th November 2012, 05:14 PM   #64
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

What adhesive are you using?

I have a bunch of poly faced foamcore and mean to use it for a project, but am not wholly confident in the adhesives I've tried.
Old 26th November 2012, 05:21 PM   #65
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Cal,
Thank you! The VWR126's sound like a nice driver <snip>That would absolutely shake the walls
hehe, em's just baby drivers.
Quote:
The point is to have fun
I'm glad you recognize that. It seems to have been lost on some.
Old 26th November 2012, 05:33 PM   #66
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badman View Post
What adhesive are you using?

I have a bunch of poly faced foamcore and mean to use it for a project, but am not wholly confident in the adhesives I've tried.
I use standard multi-temp all purpose hot melt glue sticks (the skinny ones). I have noticed that some brands are better than others in terms of how gooey the stringy cobwebs that stretch from the tip to the workpiece when pulling back. All the brands I have used work well for paper-faced foam-core board. You will have to test on the poly-faced stuff - there may be one specific hot melt glue sticks to polymers. For the sealing crevices and final glue of top panel I use ordinary (school grade) Elmer's white glue. I stack books and dumbells (about 70 lbs total) on top of the front panel to clamp in place while the white glue sets. The hot melt is useful for instant tacking and holding the divider channels in place on the back while one hand bends it to the correct curve.
Old 26th November 2012, 08:43 PM   #67
von Ah is offline von Ah  United States
diyAudio Member

This is my new favorite thread. Fantastic work! Viva la DIY!
Old 26th November 2012, 10:03 PM   #68
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I was absolutely blown away, I mean my jaw dropped, and I have an ear to ear grin
Glad they turned out so great sounding.

I am a display carpenter and I have worked with paper-faced one inch thick Gator Board, and it cuts like butter on a table saw. The paper backing is much thicker than with "regular" foam core.
Old 26th November 2012, 10:09 PM   #69
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

I am now the proud owner of 25 sheets of paper faced 3/16" 20"X30" foam board. Thanks for the tip on where to get it. Found it at the 3rd Dollar Giant store [soon to be renamed Dollar Tree] I went to. Only $1.25 per board - way cheaper than ordering it online. Restocked my glue sticks [I have the 12mm sized gun] and am ready to start. Now WTF do I do? I'm really gonna need help here. I need to understand the whole process. Your info about the hows and why so far are great but I need to do a layout for the CSS VWR126 and really don't know where to begin. I am thinking 3/8" facer boards and I can do the bolts and sheaths but I guess I need help most with the layout.
Old 26th November 2012, 10:12 PM   #70
diyAudio Member

I am already thinking what to do next with the spiral horns. I think that the design and shape is what attracts me to them in the first place, and the wonderful sound is just icing on the cake. It is a shame to cover up the beautiful curved channels with a panel that you can't see thru. I think a clear acrylic top cover would be really cool and turn these things into art. I would have to be much more careful with internal construction though as it would all be exposed. Do you guys think that seeing the internals would be an attraction or cover it up? Lowes has 2 ft x 4 ft sheets of 0.080 in thick acrylic for $20. That is enough for the pair. Hmmmmm...

Hide this!Advertise here!