Foam Core Board Speaker Enclosures? - Page 34 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd December 2012, 12:44 PM   #331
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variac View Post
Um... I was saying foamcore is better than coroplast. <snip> Isn't that your opinion? please clarify as I'm confused...
Hi Mark, I must have read and responded to your post too quickly. My bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
Cal,
I think a driver used in the Cornu should have an extra peaky high end to compensate for the mondo bass,
Agreed.
Quote:
plus it will give you more 'tweeter like' abilities to anchor the imaging compared to some of the higher frequencies that may leak out the horns.
I have lowered the horn response with stuffing the throat and am hoping to take it a bit further next time I open these up.
Quote:
I was looking at drivers that seem to have this high end peakiness and noticed that the TB W4-1337SDF may fit this bill (it's got an extra 10 dB or so from 10 kHz to 20 kHz compared to baseline SPL). It is a nice looking titanium driver too. What do you think?
Xrk971

http://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/...ifications.pdf
I'm not so good at judging sound by graphs but ya, that one looks like a tweeter. I can't see this box doing any driver much harm, within reason of course.
Old 3rd December 2012, 12:49 PM   #332
iko is online now iko  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Awesome... the cornucopy(a) goes viral.
Old 3rd December 2012, 12:58 PM   #333
xrk971 is online now xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikoflexer View Post
Awesome... the cornucopy(a) goes viral.
Yeah, I can't believe the response with the views about to reach 8000 now. I think everyone likes an easy and inexpensive project that sounds great. This is what folks will see once they listen to it for the first time like Cal and I did. I like the Cornucopya name. I was thinking FoamCornu too, but Cornucopya is better. I am an unknown on this forum but when folks hear such high praise from Cal, they jump on it. thanks for trying it Cal.

If folks wouldn't mind, can I get a show of hands of how many people are actively buying foam boards or building the Cornucopya?

Thanks,
Xrk971

Last edited by xrk971; 3rd December 2012 at 01:02 PM.
Old 3rd December 2012, 01:14 PM   #334
diyAudio Moderator

Hehe, no longer unknown friend... you're history now.

BTW, I had a look at the original cornu website. The guy has a few prototypes based on an 8" driver. So...
Old 3rd December 2012, 01:31 PM   #335
diyAudio Member

Son of Cornucopya in the works. 14 x 14 x 2 inch, for 2 inch driver.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg son-of-cornu-011102351883.jpg (87.8 KB, 485 views)
Old 3rd December 2012, 01:33 PM   #336
diyAudio Moderator

Which 2 in driver?
Old 3rd December 2012, 01:40 PM   #337
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikoflexer View Post
Which 2 in driver?
For now, planning on the one cannibalized from Logitech S120's which resemble a Visaton FRS5. They are 4 ohms and rated to 5 watts according to stamp on back. Let's see how low the sound can go. Any improvement over stock enclosures would be welcome.
Old 3rd December 2012, 02:08 PM   #338
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
If folks wouldn't mind, can I get a show of hands of how many people are actively buying foam boards or building the Cornucopya?

Although you know that I am, here is the official hand raise --

Drivers on order (actually shipping today, according to Dave) other materials will be bought once I leave the house in a 1/2 hour or so.
Old 3rd December 2012, 02:38 PM   #339
Doug R is offline Doug R  United States
diyAudio Member

XRK:
I see your curve is more of a continuously-opening circle now (i.e. no "straight" sections.
Is there an advantage to one over the other?
Doug
Old 3rd December 2012, 03:01 PM   #340
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug R View Post
XRK:
I see your curve is more of a continuously-opening circle now (i.e. no "straight" sections.
Is there an advantage to one over the other?
Doug
The straight sections and sharp corners act as low pass filters to restrict the non-bass stuff from getting out of the horn output. This would reduce the imaging if too much got out. Smooth channels with no sharp turns will let more high frequencies out but be more efficient. I made it smooth from a practical standpoint for the smaller 14 inch design as putting sharp corners in is tough given how much closer the channels are now. There is barely enough room for tip of glue gun to get in for the second and third channels, and I will say that I am approaching the small size limit of the Cornu given the need to use hot melt to secure the curves. Also, I am not as concerned about stereo imaging with the smaller one but wanted to get as much sound out as possible from the tiny driver.

Hide this!Advertise here!