Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Foam Core Board Speaker Enclosures?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st February 2018, 04:28 PM   #2931
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

You should make the Trynergy - tractrix FAST synergy with TC9FD and some 6in woofers. It’s one of those best sounding speakers I have ever heard.
Old 21st February 2018, 04:48 PM   #2932
Lingwendil is offline Lingwendil  United States
Now with high-fructose ASSAULT-gluten!
diyAudio Member

Wow. Those are nuts. Do they require active EQ to work well? I don't have any sort of DSP and have been avoiding getting one, mainly due to analysis paralysis keeping me from choosing something that is affordable and works well.
Old 21st February 2018, 04:53 PM   #2933
overtheairbroadcast is offline overtheairbroadcast  Canada
diyAudio Member

YouTube

This guy's videos up in the link there and his "foam core basics".

I saw his videos and went from a cheap dollar store breakaway knife to digging out my old Xacto with a #2 blade (probably could just have gone with a stronger and wider OLFA, but I had the Xacto already). Makes a big difference and knowing how deep to and how to cut versus tearing away with a dull edge. Always sharp makes it easier.
Old 21st February 2018, 05:47 PM   #2934
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lingwendil View Post
Wow. Those are nuts. Do they require active EQ to work well? I don't have any sort of DSP and have been avoiding getting one, mainly due to analysis paralysis keeping me from choosing something that is affordable and works well.
Get a $80 miniDSP and some cheap $5 Class D amps to use as active outputs from the miniDSP. It will seriously change your life and what you can do with speakers. I did that exclusively and it was easy to get superb results. I play with passive XO's now because I like to build amps and single amps need passive XO's.

You need the calibrated UMIK-1 too to make any use of your infinite tuning abilities. It's all menu driven point and click interface. Once uploaded to miniDSP, it holds the settings without PC connected.
Old 21st February 2018, 11:28 PM   #2935
scott68 is offline scott68  United States
diyAudio Member

I agree with XRK and would suggest that since you will be using a PC to setup the miniDSP, why not go all the way and use the free APO Equalizer with the free "Peace" interface. I have a small windows laptop and a tablet that I use to run this easy to use graphic and parametric EQ with low and high shelf's, 31 bands that you can adjust or change the frequency's Q, 7 channels, each with there own equalization, many filters: The list is endless. Did I mention that is free and in 15 minutes you can start using it.
Old 21st February 2018, 11:33 PM   #2936
scott68 is offline scott68  United States
diyAudio Member

Here are a couple of pictures
Attached Images
File Type: jpg APO EW with Peace.jpg (190.4 KB, 192 views)
File Type: jpg APO EW with Peace 2.jpg (71.2 KB, 191 views)
Old 21st February 2018, 11:49 PM   #2937
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Those are great features to have but first thing is to get the speaker frequency response flat and phase flat and step response a triangle. Then all the other stuff can begin.
Old 22nd February 2018, 02:10 AM   #2938
HammerSandwich is offline HammerSandwich
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
I play with passive XO's now because I like to build amps and single amps need passive XO's.
Or you could build even more amps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
Those are great features to have but first thing is to get the speaker frequency response flat and phase flat and step response a triangle. Then all the other stuff can begin.
EQ APO can handle all of that, including running filters exported from REW & Rephase. For anyone with enough channels of reasonable-quality output, free software's an excellent to get your feet wet.
Old 22nd February 2018, 02:19 AM   #2939
Lingwendil is offline Lingwendil  United States
Now with high-fructose ASSAULT-gluten!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerSandwich View Post
Or you could build even more amps.
The idea of a whole rack of DIY tube amps just to run my future multi-way builds gives me a stiffy for sure, never a bad time to build up more amps of various sizes

I wanted to build up a five channel amplifier for home theater system fun anyway, might as well make a few stereoblocks in anticipation of multiple driver projects.

I'm not into class D stuff, but do have piles of LM4780, 3886, and some PCBs for them lying in a box somewhere.
Old 22nd February 2018, 04:45 AM   #2940
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Use Class D to verify the miniDSP settings and XO design in software, if sounds and measures reasonably well, then invest in good Class AB or Class A amps to replace the $5 Class D. Even $5 TDA7498 can work well for proof of concept.

Foam Core Board Speaker Enclosures?Hide this!Advertise here!