Foam Core Board Speaker Enclosures? - Page 29 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd December 2012, 10:01 PM   #281
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
everything doubles
With the B200 Q and large Vas i doubt that that would be sufficient.

dave
Old 2nd December 2012, 10:05 PM   #282
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
the speaker I pulled from the Logitech
Mostly TangBands.

dave
Old 2nd December 2012, 10:06 PM   #283
iko is offline iko  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

More and more I get the impression that this project with the B200 isn't for a noob like me. Too many unknowns.
Old 2nd December 2012, 10:09 PM   #284
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Are FE108's known for their crisp high end?
Top is not as extended as FF125 or FE126. FE108 are noted for their midrange -- but are really getting long of toothwith more modern drivers eclipsing them.

dave
Old 2nd December 2012, 10:14 PM   #285
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
a pair of Planet-10 FF125kEn from Dave
FF125wKeN ... much better than FF125KeN (old driver), the latter of which i have a pair of demos at a very sharp price -- their parameters are much closer to FE126, it would be an interesting experimentin these for someone on a real tight budget.

dave
Old 2nd December 2012, 10:14 PM   #286
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Planet10,
Regarding the B200's and doubling: Probably so, but I meant just to fit physical dimension of driver in. If the throat area was matched the B200's Sd, would that not be sufficient? Would the larger Vas require a change in the driver chamber volume beyond the 640 cubic inches ( 8 x 8 x 10 inches)? I personally think going with anything larger than a 5 inch driver is missing the point of the Cornu's ability to provide more than enough bass but still have the smaller driver for good high frequency and the wider dispersion they provide compared to an 8 in full range with their 'beaming' issues. The FF125ken's that Cal and now, Jim will be using, how much better is it than stock Fostex's? I am interested but have no idea what the extra treatments sound like.
Thanks,
Xrk971

Last edited by xrk971; 2nd December 2012 at 10:16 PM.
Old 2nd December 2012, 10:21 PM   #287
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikoflexer View Post
More and more I get the impression that this project with the B200 isn't for a noob like me. Too many unknowns.
I was/would be very interested in how you get along if you proceed, i have a personal set of B200 i have no interest in putting into an OB.

The guy from Australia with the C-Horn was pleased with the B200 in it -- something that was unexpeced, so who knows. It is a smaller horn than a 4x4x 2/3 foot Cornu would be.

dave
Old 2nd December 2012, 10:24 PM   #288
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikoflexer View Post
I would start small and cheap: make it 20 in square (so you can use foam core board stock) and use a Vifa TC9FD driver. It is a quick build as there are no heavy tools, saws, dust, etc. You will gain some experience with the ins and outs. Then go for the bigger one with premium drivers and real wood faces. If you are like me, you will be blown away by the sound of the smaller TC9FD's in the foam core enclosures. These will be decorated and become my main listening speakers for music. They are that good. Not bad for a $30 set of speakers.
Old 2nd December 2012, 10:25 PM   #289
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Sd, would that not be sufficient?
Sd should have nothing to do with it. It has been historically used forTLs & horns, andunfortunately because of that Martin used it as a unit of area inhis model which confuses things more.

dave
Old 2nd December 2012, 10:28 PM   #290
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
The FF125ken's that Cal and now, Jim will be using, how much better is it than stock Fostex's? I am interested but have no idea what the extra treatments sound like.
Besides the EnABL extracting more DDR out of the driver, other treatments pre & post EnABL help tame some of the driver's rough edges making its response much smoother.

A set of FF85wKeN in your smaller version would be very interesting.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!