Foam Core Board Speaker Enclosures?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Are you talking about this design in cardboard?

1697408823830.png

I just bought an HP 24in commercial inkjet plotter (my old eyes cannot follow schematics on 8.5x11 anymore) and it came in a huge triple ply cardboard box the size of a coffin. I should save the cardboard for nifty cardboard speakers. :)

Reactions: 1 user
I imagine that would be a really good bit of cardboard to work with! We had to pick up a couple of desks for our kids, and they came in double-walled cardboard, so no lamination was required this time :)

I did treat the cardboard like wood, though. Rather than using hot glue I used the Gorilla expanding foam glue, with some clamps and weights to hold things in place while the glue cured, and so the whole build took a couple of days. You could substitute clamps with painter's tape, though, which I did a number of times :)

The 15 inch boxes with the 3FE22 speakers were still the nicest build, though. Even with my dull blade I was able to complete the pair in an evening.

I had another idea - making a 2-way where I used the GRS PT-6825 and a Visaton R10S. Here's a mock-up in foam core:

1706109961166.png

It's the same 15" pizza box design as before, but with a 2x1x7.325" port to tune the box to 70Hz. I accidentally put the port at the wrong end of the transmission line, so I need to fix that, but it still sounds pretty good even without the crossovers.

The planar driver is in a separate chamber to the woofer, so the transmission line only affects the Visaton. I added it to cover the missing response between the planar driver and a subwoofer.

After this, I realised that it would probably be possible to use a 4" subwoofer, as they reach quite high in some cases, so they would mate with this planar driver quite well, and a separate sub wouldn't be required. Granted, the volume of the box would require it to be twice as deep (and the transmission line length be doubled in length, but that's not too much extra work.

I'll fix the port, make a second one, and get the crossover components and see how they sound :) The planar driver's so even in its output.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Cool!
One thing to keep in mind when integrating a sub with high reach to a full range of tweeter is the distance between the drivers. Try to keep the CTC distance smaller than 1/3rd the lowest wavelength so that the sources sound like they are from same point. For example, if choosing a 250Hz crossover frequency, that’s about 9.6in CTC distance from mid to woofer. Which is why remote subs work well below 80Hz. The distance is much larger.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes, that definitely makes sense. I wonder if it's different with a woofer crossing to a planar driver, but I can't hear the separate drivers in that enclosure so far :)

My own personal goal would be to have a small subwoofer driver replace the Visaton driver, and have that cross over at around that 250-300Hz point, where the planar naturally starts to kick in, so it would more serve as a sub and midbass than attempt to push it beyond its sweet spot.