Foam Core Board Speaker Enclosures? - Page 206 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th December 2013, 03:15 PM   #2051
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Room Effects

I am pretty sure the frequency shelf near 300 Hz is a room-effect. I measured the frequency response again at 12 in away and got the same drop-off in frequency response when I mounted the driver on a piece of 24x36 in cardboard in an open baffle. I also used an old driver to make sure it wasn't a breaking-in effect which it is not. So the effect is clearly not a function of the cabinet design. The good news is that the Nautaloss speaker has an even flatter response than an open baffle - confirming my suspicion that the damped spiral absorbs the back wave like an infinite space.

So what we have here is a compact speaker that has a response like the front half of an OB without the huge OB size.

1/6th octave smoothing applied. Red is Nautaloss, Green is OB, Blue is OB with broken-in driver.

Click the image to open in full size.
Attached Images
File Type: png Nautaloss-OB-meas-12in.png (47.6 KB, 4849 views)

Last edited by xrk971; 12th December 2013 at 03:18 PM.
Old 12th December 2013, 05:36 PM   #2052
diyAudio Member

This correlates with listening observations for the "Pluto" from here: Pluto + subwoofer
Old 12th December 2013, 06:20 PM   #2053
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skp112233 View Post
This correlates with listening observations for the "Pluto" from here: Pluto + subwoofer

What part of the Pluto writeup are you referring to? I am looking for confirmation of the drop at 300 Hz due to floor or wall bounce cancellation.
Old 12th December 2013, 06:42 PM   #2054
diyAudio Member

I was referring to the similarity of responses for OB to the long stuffed spiral pipe and listening observations from the Pluto vs the Orion
Old 12th December 2013, 07:26 PM   #2055
IG81 is offline IG81  Canada
diyAudio Member

Floor/wall bounce usually shows up as a dip AFAIK, this ~15dB shelf is just plain strange. Have a different driver/speaker you can measure in the same spot?

IG
Old 12th December 2013, 07:33 PM   #2056
diyAudio Member

IG,
the dip happens to combine fortuitously with a sharp edge in the response that is predicted in the simulation. The dip is just to the left of it, and the response is already falling off at -6dB/oct due to baffle step, so what you see is a notch to the left side of the 300 Hz 15 dB cliff. In otherwords, a well placed dip in an asymmetric baseline coupled with a sharp cliff on the right. That is my theory anyhow. An easier way is to change the speaker height or room location when measuring. I don't have another driver.

Here is a simplified model simulation of the Nautaloss without room reflections:

Here is the sim with reflections:

Here is the raw un-smoothed data for the response:

Attached Images
File Type: png Nautaloss-Freq-12in-no-reflections.png (27.9 KB, 4468 views)
File Type: png Nautaloss-Freq-12in-with-reflections.png (28.8 KB, 327 views)
File Type: png Nautaloss-raw-meas-12in.png (45.8 KB, 330 views)
Old 12th December 2013, 08:10 PM   #2057
diyAudio Member

And for subwoofer???
Old 12th December 2013, 08:12 PM   #2058
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
The horn really improves the intelligibility of human voices and I think might be a good candidate for a HT center channel. I just realized that I now have a full set of FC speakers that can make a nice HT setup. Not that I have a HT amplifier or tv to go with it

Use the two 0.53x scale Karlsonators for the front L R. The Nautaloss with tractrix for C. The 0.4x scale for the rear L and R.
I was replying to this post!
Old 12th December 2013, 08:26 PM   #2059
diyAudio Member

I have an old bandpass sub but that won't cut it. I am currently developing my own sub design (a bass horn or maybe a tapped horn) and hope to share one day. For now, it doesn't matter as I don't have a HT receiver
Old 12th December 2013, 10:05 PM   #2060
Carlp is offline Carlp  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
The horn really improves the intelligibility of human voices and I think might be a good candidate for a HT center channel. I just realized that I now have a full set of FC speakers that can make a nice HT setup. Not that I have a HT amplifier or tv to go with it
Ha! I don't have HT amp or TV either, but I'm good with that. Especially with 7 and 10 y.o.s in the house. Someday maybe.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming...

Hide this!Advertise here!