Foam Core Board Speaker Enclosures? - Page 203 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th November 2013, 03:17 AM   #2021
diyAudio Member

Greetings,
I've been following this thread on and off with interest and need to give some of these foam core builds a try. Saw that the small Tc9 Vifa's were on sale at PA so I order up a dozen. My first built was a set of the Manzi's which quickly morphed into a much bigger MTMWW OB project. The bigger set was fun, they turned out great, sound great... it was just a lot of time on one project...like all last winter . Went a bit overboard, nothing new.

Hoping to start on a foam core project with a pair of xrk971's 30" f3 variants (back around the #1020 post mark). After that, onto a set of the 20" Cornu's.
xrk971, I noticed after you posted the sound bit of these, the thread headed into another direction. Did you by chance save your cut patterns or other dimensional build info? If so, any chance of posting that? If not, no worries, I can always go onto the Frugel Horn site for some plans. I really liked the scale of them and loved the lower flare detail...very nice touch.
Kindest,
Marko
Old 14th November 2013, 03:40 AM   #2022
xrk971 is online now xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Marko,
Sounds like you have been busy! Good to hear you are having fun with the Vifa's. The Fh3-inspired speaker has its own thread with a rough plan. Jim Shearer was able to build them using these plans although he did not flare the horn mouth.
Good luck!
X
Old 14th November 2013, 03:45 AM   #2023
diyAudio Member

mnsouthpaw, he gave the design software's name and the figures to put into it in message #2005, about 16 messages before yours.

Those Vifas are getting pretty popular. My build has 8 of them and two Vifa mini-subs. xrk971, how about posting some stuff on Parts Express's forum? Might get some good feedback there.
Old 14th November 2013, 04:32 AM   #2024
diyAudio Member

You made a sub woofer with the Vifa TC9FD?!! Please share photos.
I barely have enough time to post stuff in one forum - posting in PE might raise too much interest and the drivers will sell out. I hope it's not a sign that they are going to discontinue them. You guys should get those 6.5 in woofers for $4.88 and build some foam core TH subs with them. Or use them as bass drivers in a Synergy. You can't go wrong at that price. It looks to be the same driver as what Dayton uses in their popular B652's - that and a $1.75 Mylar dome tweeter XO'd with a single cap. Explains how they can sell those speakers for $30/pair.

Last edited by xrk971; 14th November 2013 at 04:34 AM.
Old 14th November 2013, 03:45 PM   #2025
diyAudio Member

Sorry, no, I made a project *with* some Vifa subs, not the tc9s.
Old 14th November 2013, 04:18 PM   #2026
diyAudio Member

Still needing xo's? P.E. has their Dayton 4/8 ohm two ways on sale for half price.

What was I thinking? I used the tc9's for an array in a PA cab. The project with the mini-subs was all Tang Band.

TBL1.JPG

Last edited by drmcclainphd; 14th November 2013 at 04:27 PM. Reason: adding stuff
Old 14th November 2013, 09:54 PM   #2027
diyAudio Member

Doc McClain,
Those look like the buyout 16 ohm 5 in Tang Band subs from PE. Nice drivers - used in qnty 4 gets 4 ohms net.
Old 15th November 2013, 09:33 AM   #2028
diyAudio Member

Aye, laddie, that they are, and a good eye on ye to be sure. The two in parallel come to 8 ohms, matching the 68W sub channel of the Lepai 2.1 amp on top. They do a creditable job despite the less than optimal enclosure (I was going for compact, not efficiency). It all currently resides in the middle seat of my minivan, fed by an MP3 player, as the selection of radio material here in central Appalachia leaves something to be desired. Twas supposed to serve as a portable guitar amp combo originally, but the Tang Band full rangers were still sounding pretty at warp factor 5 when I wanted them to distort. I gave 'em all we got Coptin, and I donna think they can handle much more, and *still* sounding pretty. Seriously, they're some fine woofer/subs. A bit heavy for foam board constructions maybe.
Old 18th November 2013, 04:47 PM   #2029
diyAudio Member

Thanks fellas for the input. I ended up purchasing a used pair with ch70's?? from a gentlemen in the Chicago area. This will help to me acquainted with a full ranger sound and I can use them as a bench mark for working with the tc9's.

Kindest,
Marko
Old 10th December 2013, 04:23 PM   #2030
diyAudio Member

Default Cochlear sealed TL

I always wanted to see what a sealed spiral TL sounds like - the famous B&W Nautilus being the inspiration. Supposedly it has very clean dynamics because there is very little back wave reflection to the cone. Anyhow, I thought I would give it a try with the trusty Vifa TC9FD. I think sealed TL's follow lambda/2 for setting the length. The total path is about 3 ft. I have no idea how it will sound and actually did not bother to model it - I just hand drew the spiral on a piece of foam and hot melted away

Here is what I have so far, now waiting for the PVA glue to dry on the capping operation.
Attached Images
File Type: png Cochlear-1.png (201.3 KB, 369 views)
File Type: png Cochlear-2.png (406.1 KB, 791 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!