Foam Core Board Speaker Enclosures? - Page 20 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st December 2012, 11:39 AM   #191
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochleus View Post
@xrk971

well actually, the cornu has been fuel for thought...I have a "new" idea...
What is the new idea? We are all in suspense... Maybe a snail shaped horn using Fibonacci's golden ratio? I have been starting on a design with 1:1:2:3:5:8:13 expansion that looks like a snail. It ends up quite big compared to the Cornu which is very compact.
Old 1st December 2012, 12:21 PM   #192
diyAudio Member

Im not sure i understand what you mean by shunting the speaker ? Do u mean to have a cap.in parallel with just one driver leaving the other open? Being as theyre bot lh in parallel to give 4ohm wouldnt that then filter both drivers?

I think what was said earlier about the horn not being sealed is definately playing a big part in how it sounds (more so, doesnt sound) as i flipped the box onto the carpet today and it sounded much better..

Ill wait till i get my little chip amp before i seal her up. After listening to it more and more im getting used to it and its not bad. I have to remind myself its a quad of three inchers not fifteen inchers.... Lol

Also stuffing helped
Old 1st December 2012, 12:24 PM   #193
diyAudio Member

Hope this helps
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20121201_173309.jpg (811.9 KB, 757 views)
Old 1st December 2012, 01:02 PM   #194
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by klampykixx View Post
Hope this helps
Nice work! This is more of a sub woofer cabinet as I think your stereo imaging would be shot. One more tip, I glue a piece of wood onto the foam core where the screws go and drill hole for wood screws to bite, this relieves stress on foam which will not hold drivers for long. I think the capacitor the previous poster was referring to can be placed in series with the positive wire leading from the driver where the speaker cables come in and are attached, but between the first and second driver. Essentially making a high pass for the second driver. You probably want to switch the high freq driver to the front and have the bass in the back. It can still be wired like you have in parallel (8 ohms at low freq and 4 ohms at high when the cap kicks in). Probably effective impedance is between 4 and 8 ohms.

Last edited by xrk971; 1st December 2012 at 01:04 PM.
Old 1st December 2012, 02:02 PM   #195
diyAudio Member

...nearly !! I said quasi-series...maybe quasi was a strange term !
As long as I see the drivers are not identical. maybe it is not doable perfectly.
By putting the drivers in series and putting a cap across one's terminals , you'll
get the same 'effect' as doing it with a series cap in a parallel crossover circuit, but
in this case the impedance Z doubles- It's good with 4 Ω drivers to have a Z=8Ω and only one emitting the highs, which is the most important thing .
I suggest Mr. Klampy to cut that thing into two parts and make two distinct boxes , then try different nets ( crossovers). A 20 uF cap would be ok ( if they are 4Ω ), bipolar of course.
Old 1st December 2012, 03:13 PM   #196
diyAudio Member

I wonder how Cal's front baffles came out and if he is listening to the Cornu's right now?
Old 1st December 2012, 03:33 PM   #197
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turk 182 View Post
xrk971
do you have a link or url for MJK's paper or will a google search lead to the promised land!
by Sd do you mean speaker diameter?
I ran across this tutorial on designing horns and transmission lines that is very helpful. I think it was suggested by diyaudio member Charcoal - maybe his blog. S.A.M. "Saburov Audio Manufacture"
Old 1st December 2012, 04:52 PM   #198
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Before I start I want to say that klampy's unit sure looks trick. I hope it sounds that much better when you seal it up.
Old 1st December 2012, 05:04 PM   #199
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
I wonder how Cal's front baffles came out and if he is listening to the Cornu's right now?
We are 3 hours different so it doesn't happen that early. I think I hear SWMBO stirring in the bedroom and that's where I'll be setting them up. This is how far I got this morning. You can see the planet10 mods to the drivers with the EnABLe, cone coating, basket damping with duct seal and a felt pad on the magnet. [Thanks Dave].

The cabinets came out fine and for now I have just a small gauge wire running through the back. It's a really tight squeeze so I'm not worried about leakage. Now I go hook them up and report back. I have to fit in a shower and breakfast too so be patient. Today is also our annual curling day so I won't have a lot of time to listen. I remember now that Dave does the driver break-in and T/S matching so we really are going to see the best these drivers can deliver.

Back in a while.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0725.jpg (108.7 KB, 731 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0728.jpg (82.6 KB, 703 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0729.jpg (94.4 KB, 691 views)
Old 1st December 2012, 05:13 PM   #200
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Weldon View Post
We are 3 hours different so it doesn't happen that early. I think I hear SWMBO stirring in the bedroom and that's where I'll be setting them up. This is how far I got this morning. You can see the planet10 mods to the drivers with the EnABLe, cone coating, basket damping with duct seal and a felt pad on the magnet. [Thanks Dave].

The cabinets came out fine and for now I have just a small gauge wire running through the back. It's a really tight squeeze so I'm not worried about leakage. Now I go hook them up and report back. I have to fit in a shower and breakfast too so be patient. Today is also our annual curling day so I won't have a lot of time to listen. I remember now that Dave does the driver break-in and T/S matching so we really are going to see the best these drivers can deliver.

Back in a while.
Congratulations on finishing the build! The suspense is killing me... Those are trick looking drivers.

Last edited by xrk971; 1st December 2012 at 05:23 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!