Foam Core Board Speaker Enclosures? - Page 198 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th September 2013, 05:06 PM   #1971
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
Has anyone tried using foam board (paper laminated with foam core) as quick and dirty speaker enclosures? There is something really satisfying in using nothing more than an x-acto knife and a hot melt glue gun to build transmission lines, horns, etc to try out designs on smaller 3 in and 2 in low power full range drivers. Interestingly, they actually sound pretty good and weigh nothing compared to mdf. I am just wondering if I am the only trying this sort of stuff before cutting real wood. My latest build is a stereo pair transmission line that is very flat and hangs like a picture on a wall. Lots of fun and very quick and clean. The foam core actually has built in damping capabilities. I do find that it sometimes resonates like a guitar body but that is not necessarily bad.
I used these materials to build an extension speaker for my portable guitar amps (a Pignose 7-100 and a Dayton DTA-1) using eight HiWave BMR12 2" square flat drivers. I mounted them much as you say, with the exception of adhesive silicone instead of hot glue. After mounting and wiring, I glued a sheet of styrofoam of the same size to the back and then inserted that into a wooden box the same size and depth. The extra styrofoam between the foam board and the box dampened them well.

I think your idea would work well for building small (ie. tweeter or mid-tweeter) Karlson Klams. But I do think your baffle would need to be something more resilient that plain foam board.
Old 13th September 2013, 06:25 PM   #1972
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I think your idea would work well for building small (ie. tweeter or mid-tweeter) Karlson Klams. But I do think your baffle would need to be something more resilient that plain foam board.
I actually built a Karlsonator with double layered foam core on the front. Sounds great!
Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FD's

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 5th October 2013, 03:40 AM   #1973
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLBIrd View Post
The use of foam for lightweight enclosures is reminiscent of my first speaker project...in 1955. The November 1955 issue of Popular Electronic featured an article, by the now noted author David Weems, on building a corner labyrinth style enclosure using a sheet of Celotex. I remember this enclosure well, as my mother was very angry that I messed up her Kitchen when cutting out the panels for same. It used an 8 inch driver, of which mine came from a junked Zenith TV set. As I recall it worked very well with my Alliied Radio S 723 10 Watt amp.

Some other material which you might like to try is the 1/2 foam paper backed insulation board sold under the John Mansville name. It very light weight, cuts easily with a carton knife, and can be cemented with Tacky Craft glue or the caulking gun type of glues made for foam products. Another, some what heavier and dense product is Homasote, It is used for sound deadening and insulation. It cuts with a saw and takes most wood glues and can even be nailed. There are a lot of materials that can be used as an alternative to MDF or wood for enclosures, just keep your eyes and mind open for them.
I remember making this enclosure, or one like it in '55, using a Wharfedale 8 inch full range speaker. My first speaker and enclosure. Been a Wharfedale (and Celestron) fan ever since.

Any possibility that you'd have the dimensions, as I'd like to build it again with my grand daughter, who had discovered good audio.

I have the general layout in my head, and probably could cobble something comparable if all else fails, but I'd like to re-share that moment with my g-daughter as we build it together.
Old 6th October 2013, 01:52 AM   #1974
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

I missed that one, but did the $3 12" MkII variant the next year, which thanks to Freddyi, I have a copy of if anyone's interested. I assume it's the same basic layout as the 8" $2 Baffle.

GM
Old 6th October 2013, 03:37 AM   #1975
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
I missed that one, but did the $3 12" MkII variant the next year, which thanks to Freddyi, I have a copy of if anyone's interested. I assume it's the same basic layout as the 8" $2 Baffle.

GM
Possible to get a copy of the plans?? If they're similar, it might spark my pea brain for the missing details of the 8 inch enclosure, AND, I just happen to have a pair of 12 inch red magnet (alnico) Wharfies that I could use for woofers in a larger enclosure.
Old 6th October 2013, 11:50 AM   #1976
KLBIrd is offline KLBIrd  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to KLBIrd
Default $2.00 Baffle

Attached is a PDF of the $2.00 Weem's baffle. It was a simple yet effective corner enclosure using the acoustic labyrinth principle. I have many of his projects in PDF format gleaned from Popular Electronics and other publication. David Weems is still with us, but at 91 he no longer builds speakers. He called me last week to announce that he has auctioned off all his old drivers and test equipment to benefit the Civil War battlefield park in his home town of Newtonia, MO. You can read a bio on him I did in the October 2009 issue of Audio Xpress.
Old 6th October 2013, 01:15 PM   #1977
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey/ Ga View Post
Possible to get a copy of the plans??
Not sure.........They're in a Flickr photo album, 'Weems Celotex TL', but Flickr has been 'improved' and at a glance don't see how to post them to the general public other than what's up in the address bar: Weems Celotex TL - a set on Flickr

Clicking on the thumbnails to blow them up still doesn't give me a link other than in the address bar, so give it a try and let me know.........

GM
Old 6th October 2013, 01:18 PM   #1978
KLBIrd is offline KLBIrd  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to KLBIrd
Just send email me at klbird@embarqmail.com and I will send you the PDF direct.
Old 6th October 2013, 02:04 PM   #1979
diyAudio Member

Don't know. Let's see if I can upload one....... in the advanced new reply window, clicking on the attachments option [paperclip symbol] opens a pop-up window to choose where in my computer to upload the attachment. Once found, I double click on it to 'pin' it to DIYaudio, then click on the 'upload' button. It will display the current attachments and 'remove' buttons down below.

Note that when you expand the pop-up window it shows the various file size limits or 976.6 kb for pdfs and while it will try to upload, it ultimately gives you an error message telling you why it failed.

I assume then that the pdf is either too large and/or if your computer displays like mine, i.e. the pop-up window opens up very small, not showing anything but the 'choose folder section', so have to expand it see the 'upload' button, etc., the 'problem' I initially had with trying to upload stuff.

The Karlson slot loaded TL is Norman Fuller's realization of the attached patent. It sims plenty good enough using current generic M.I. or '50s era 15" driver specs.

GM
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Spkrplans1.jpg (211.1 KB, 297 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf US2787332.pdf (527.2 KB, 37 views)

Last edited by GM; 6th October 2013 at 02:11 PM.
Old 6th October 2013, 03:36 PM   #1980
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Email it to me, I will attempt.

Hide this!Advertise here!