Foam Core Board Speaker Enclosures? - Page 188 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th June 2013, 05:44 AM   #1871
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

When you start with an arbitrary throat, then odds are it’s already misaligned and needs a smaller or larger throat, which in turn affects its length, but yes, as the gain BW shifts higher in frequency, the horn gets shorter.

GM
Old 8th July 2013, 02:38 PM   #1872
xrk971 is online now xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Potential Fun FC Build with Mini Karlsonator

You will have seen this if you have been following the "A Speaker that Kicks Butt in Large Spaces" thread. I have been running simulations of a scaled down 0.53X size Karlsonator (a ML-TQWT with a Karlson aperture). I think this is a reasonable build to try out in FC with a couple of inexpensive Vifa TC9FD's. This is a high Qts driver normally not suited for Karlsons but as a mass loaded TL with a large volume, it allows a deeper bass extension and the K-aperture lets it throw a good bass shelf at a distance.

The link to the simulation of the mini Karlsonator is here: A Speaker that Kicks Butt in Large Spaces

It is a 9 in wide x 9.4 in deep x 16.4 in tall cabinet - a perfect size for FC builds. For those not familiar with this design:
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11th July 2013, 05:38 PM   #1873
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

I think I've thought up a better option for laminating my plastic-faced foamboard- shellac! Going to try it tonight- should be inexpensive, easy to use and clean.
Old 11th July 2013, 05:44 PM   #1874
prezden is offline prezden  Canada
diyAudio Member

badman- I have had great success laminating 1/8 ply with foam core. Use contact cement- it's really easy and gives the boxes a solid crush proof front and back. You can still cut it with a sharp knife.
Old 11th July 2013, 10:18 PM   #1875
diyAudio Member

I'm looking to bond layers of plastic faced foamcore to each other- the idea being to create a superior sheet good. It would then be assembled very similarly to a "normal" loudspeaker box, with bracing, etc.
Old 11th July 2013, 10:34 PM   #1876
diyAudio Member

You want Gatorboard. It is very stiff and lightweight but costs more than BB ply.
Old 11th July 2013, 10:41 PM   #1877
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
You want Gatorboard. It is very stiff and lightweight but costs more than BB ply.
No I don't

I get plastic faced foamcore for free from my job, you see (marketing/R&D posters from events past). I've laminated it for a turntable platform to great effect (love the idea of light and rigid and well damped to dissipate vibrational energy as heat), running underneath my beloved LP12. For this I used 3M spray adhesive, but would prefer something a little less unpleasant.
Old 11th July 2013, 10:45 PM   #1878
prezden is offline prezden  Canada
diyAudio Member

You could try water based contact cement. It's non toxic, has hardly any smell and holds really well.
Old 11th July 2013, 10:59 PM   #1879
diyAudio Member

If you have it already then awesome. Tnat stuff is very nice but pricey if younhad to buy it. Contact cement is way to go. If you don't mind fumes use 3m fast tack.
Old 12th July 2013, 03:30 AM   #1880
diyAudio Member

I mind fumes- testing water based contact cement tonight, and Aleene's Craft Glue (PVA). Thus far I think the longer cure/greater stability of the PVA is winning, but we'll see. I've previously used 3M type 90 which is nasty stuff, but darned effective. My turntable rests on a 10 layer platform made bonded with it, but it's caustic, unpleasant and not ideal if I want to make a lot of layers for a big box.

Last edited by badman; 12th July 2013 at 03:33 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!