Foam Core Board Speaker Enclosures? - Page 186 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th June 2013, 12:28 PM   #1851
bcmbob is offline bcmbob  United States
diyAudio Member

OOps! That's not the K-horn - it's called the TH-18 sub. (see link in post #1849)

I'm thinking anything from the drivers purchased for the DNA all the way up to some 10" woofers with stamped frames. A 4" to 6" probably be best for FC, but I just guessing.
Old 5th June 2013, 02:16 PM   #1852
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Do a search for the Replicon Horn, it does a pretty good job of designing a traditional BLH [aka BVR, 'scoop' bin] using T/S, so I assume anyone with decent math skills [not me] can rearrange the formulas to get the driver specs.

Hopefully, someone will mod its Excel SS calculator to include this reverse engineering and post it somewhere for downloading for us math challenged folks.

GM
Old 27th June 2013, 06:01 AM   #1853
xrk971 is online now xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Tractrix front horns in FC

I finally finished the tractrix front horns. It was easy to make using the 'score the concave curved side' technique. The hard part was coming up with the pattern - I did it with regular paper by trial and error to get close, then the final foam still needed some trimming. The resulting horn has a 4 in x 4 in throat and a 13 in x 13 in mouth with a 4.5 in length. I did a quick test by taping it to the front of the FH3-inspired FC speakers and wow, you really notice the gain in mids and highs from a distance away. Also the presentation was wider, you can walk around more and still hear the highs clearly. The trick is to make the brace first with the correct profile, hot melt the horn panel to that first. Make 4 of those sets and then glue the seams together one by one. If anyone is interested in the pattern, I can scan that and post it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tractrix-FC-1.JPG (686.2 KB, 735 views)
File Type: jpg Tractrix-FC-2.JPG (730.2 KB, 237 views)
Old 27th June 2013, 06:21 AM   #1854
prezden is offline prezden  Canada
diyAudio Member

x- they look great. you have become a true foam core sculptor
Old 27th June 2013, 11:04 AM   #1855
diyAudio Member

Thanks Prez! You are the master of the beautiful Cornu, and by all accounts you have made more of them than anyone - making you the master Cornu FC sculptor!
How are those W4 TB Bamboos in the 22 in x 4 in Cornus doing? Do you ever plan on making measurements using an inexpensive mic and Holmimpulse or something similar? I am curious to see how my sims of the Cornu match with measurements.
Old 27th June 2013, 01:20 PM   #1856
IG81 is offline IG81  Canada
diyAudio Member

Cool horns! A slightly smaller version of these might be perfect for my FF85WK in the small BLH. The square-conical horns I had on these were too aggressive at 40 (!). I bet these tractrix would not choke the VHF output as much too.

IG
Old 27th June 2013, 01:25 PM   #1857
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Nice looking horns X. The joints look like they came out really well.
Old 27th June 2013, 01:57 PM   #1858
diyAudio Member

That's a beautiful looking horn!
Old 27th June 2013, 02:11 PM   #1859
KLBIrd is offline KLBIrd  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to KLBIrd
How about providing a dimensional drawing of that nice horn?
Old 27th June 2013, 02:12 PM   #1860
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IG81 View Post
Cool horns! A slightly smaller version of these might be perfect for my FF85WK in the small BLH. The square-conical horns I had on these were too aggressive at 40 (!). I bet these tractrix would not choke the VHF output as much too.

IG
I remember your horn. When you say too aggressive, does that mean there is HF falloff? It's easy to scale plan with printer prior to cutting to get your size.

Hide this!Advertise here!