Foam Core Board Speaker Enclosures? - Page 182 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th May 2013, 02:20 AM   #1811
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Panpipe with SP50X

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryani View Post
I'd be in on a set of plans X. Would the Monacor sp50x be a candidate for the Pentahorn? The youngest would be floored with a massive set of enclosures. May dirt bike stickers and posters could fit on it.

Ryan,
I am surprised that the SP50X works so well. Here is the sim with nothing more than the T/S params swapped for the SP50X. This may work out if you don't mind the slight exaggerated bass hump at 30 Hz.
X

Update: I redid the sim with a smaller driver chamber volume (12 liters) and it seemed to improve the smoothness of the response somewhat. However, it would be fine to keep it the same as original plan allowing a driver upgrade should you ever want to do it.

I also have the driver displacement and impedance curves, and freq response with 12 liter chamber (last plot).
Attached Images
File Type: png Panpipe-SP50X-Freq.png (26.7 KB, 1819 views)
File Type: png Panpipe-SP50X-Displ.png (19.4 KB, 275 views)
File Type: png Panpipe-SP50X-Imped.png (19.5 KB, 273 views)
File Type: png Panpipe-SP50X-Freq-12liters.png (27.0 KB, 225 views)

Last edited by xrk971; 29th May 2013 at 02:31 AM.
Old 29th May 2013, 12:11 PM   #1812
KLBIrd is offline KLBIrd  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to KLBIrd
I have a pair of the Monacor SP50X and would rate them as poor to fair. The advertised FS is 65 Hz but they measure at 94 Hz and breaking them in at 40 Hz for 24 hours made no difference. The mylar whizzer produces distortion at frequencies above 5 Khz.
Old 29th May 2013, 12:20 PM   #1813
ryani is offline ryani  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks X. I just happen to have some of those on hand. That's the reason I ask. For a boy's room the SP50X and out of foam it would be perfect fit. If the design is proven that way, I would spend more on drivers and then build out of wood. The uncle has an amazing woodworking shop.
Old 3rd June 2013, 12:57 AM   #1814
diyAudio Member

I did a pair of open baffle look something like this:
IMG_00000145.jpgIMG_00000144.jpg

Baffle are made with 3 layers of foam board.
Can someone suggest what to use for the finishing?
Can I use gloss spray paint on foam board or sticky sheet often found in home depot in roll?
Old 3rd June 2013, 01:16 AM   #1815
ryani is offline ryani  United States
diyAudio Member

Excellent open baffles. I used a inexpensive prints to cover a couple of mine. Find something to suit your tastes at your local arts and crafts store. Then use some elmers spray glue to attach. Re cut your driver holes and you are finished.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Speakers 003.jpg (724.9 KB, 184 views)
File Type: jpg uncs wall box.JPG (740.2 KB, 52 views)
Old 3rd June 2013, 01:39 AM   #1816
diyAudio Member

I have though about that but leaving the drivers expose to little four years old is a no-no. I want to know if something I could use to add a little stiffness to the baffle so I could make a grill to cover all the drivers.
Old 3rd June 2013, 01:59 AM   #1817
bcmbob is offline bcmbob  United States
diyAudio Member

sagamotto,

You can also build a frame that matches the baffle and use regular grill cloth. Just tape the cloth taught on a flat surface. Apply spray glue or contact cement on the frame face (test on scrap to insure I doesn't penatrate).
Lay the frame on the cloth and let it dry. You can either pull the cloth around to the back of the frame and secure with hot glue, or make a sandwich by placing another thin frame (wood veneer works well) on the front. Make sure the frame is deep enough to avoid interfering with the x-max of the bass driver. I've used double sided carpet tape to easily attach to the speaker.

Fabric stores and even Walmart have products very similar to high dollar grill cloth.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Frame.jpg (30.2 KB, 55 views)
Old 3rd June 2013, 02:48 AM   #1818
diyAudio Member

Thks bcmbob...

I was just thinking, would the foam board warp or bend after a period of time? I mean will the foam become soft after awhile due to humidity inside the house cause some winter seem alittle long.
Thks
Old 3rd June 2013, 02:59 AM   #1819
bcmbob is offline bcmbob  United States
diyAudio Member

I'll bet that triple lamination will provide all the stability you need. I might try I with some of my leftovers tomorrow just out of curiosity.
Old 3rd June 2013, 03:13 AM   #1820
diyAudio Member

Bcmbob,
I gotta tell you after listening to my OB on foam core sheet baffle, I am not going to put it back on the 2" ply baffle again....
I might try to make the baffle grill out of foam core as well and reinforce the foam baffle with a thin wood frame on the back. What do you think?

Hide this!Advertise here!