Foam Core Board Speaker Enclosures? - Page 17 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th November 2012, 08:50 PM   #161
diyAudio Member

xrk971
after rereading some of the thread i started thinking that coroplast and your non neutonion liquid idea might work together providing a good edge sealing method can be found.
Old 30th November 2012, 09:04 PM   #162
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
I would not be so quick to dismiss this material without first trying it. It may be difficult to cut but if you had a way to cut it, hot melt would glue it just fine. Elmer's glue of course won't work. I think there is potential here. You can even fill the channels with sand and seal off with hot melt glue to get good damping on certain surfaces like front baffle. It will probably cut easily with hot wire cutters. Tin snips would work but leave an ugly edge.
The problem is getting the glue connection to the front panel- hot glue would be fine where you could apply it piecemeal (the bottom) but the top, you'd have to slather with a thick layer of epoxy- sloppy, expensive, and might create other issues, and then set the top section down onto it.

But hey prove me wrong!

I have some of each of these materials in the garage just waiting for a project like this
Old 30th November 2012, 09:06 PM   #163
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
You can even fill the channels with sand and seal off with hot melt glue
Sounds like a 3 beer project to me.

On another note, my baffles are now glued and weighted so nothing much to do except hang around here and bug you guys with bad advice.
Old 30th November 2012, 09:17 PM   #164
Doug R is offline Doug R  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi
Fascinating thread. I may try this soon, but for now, if I could make a suggestion? I think cheap acrylic caulk would be fine to glue the second face on. After a couple of days, it is quite solid. Construction adhesive is also often used for horn building, but is is rather viscous and IMO a PITA for most jobs - especially those that do not require house-building strength.

Best wishes,
Doug
Old 30th November 2012, 09:31 PM   #165
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Speaking of PITA, I swear, next time I will buck up, make a tray line it with glue and just dip it for the baffle piece. Trying to lay a bead on that second piece, wow... I was looking for a tranquilizer just to help steady things. The effin' glue made a mess, am ess that took longer to clean-up than...well you know, live and learn.

Either that or I will trace the pattern on the baffle and lay a heavy bead there instead of on the foam.
Old 30th November 2012, 09:35 PM   #166
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug R View Post
Hi
if I could make a suggestion? I think cheap acrylic caulk would be fine to glue the second face on.
Thanks, where were you 2 hours ago? We have that Alex Plus or whatever here that's really cheap. Goes on white but cures clear. Fine stuff and surprising that it is the cheap stuff in the store. I happen to be staring at a few tubes of it as I type, which gives you insight to my character.

If I may add to that. do the trace and lay your bead of the baffle, then you can just set your spiral into it.

Gotta go, have to get the diningroom table clean before SWMBO comes home.
Old 30th November 2012, 09:42 PM   #167
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

I just put the glue bead on the channel edges then laid baffle over it. It wasn't messy this way. You could flip it around after making contact if you wanted it to form a nice filet. I just left mine as is and clamped with weights. Nothing like watching glue dry...

If you did the front baffle first with hot melt, then segment the back into manageable pieces ( 9 smaller squares), the whole thing can be hot melted. This would be fast if you did not mind having seams on back. I have done this on other box type horns. This would make the potential for a one evening build start to finish!

Last edited by xrk971; 30th November 2012 at 09:59 PM.
Old 30th November 2012, 09:42 PM   #168
diyAudio Member

How about water activated polyurethane for it's gap filling properties?
Old 30th November 2012, 09:55 PM   #169
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubtingthomas View Post
How about water activated polyurethane for it's gap filling properties?
Not familiar with this, do you have examples or links?
Old 30th November 2012, 10:01 PM   #170
diyAudio Member

Gorilla glue.

Hide this!Advertise here!