Foam Core Board Speaker Enclosures? - Page 160 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th April 2013, 10:12 PM   #1591
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMag2001 View Post
Hi M, Thanks for adding your to the mix. One word:

BOOORRING!

The reason to use the foam is that you have the option of non standard shapes. The kind that are hard to make from wood. You probably don't know this but I have 36 pairs of working speakers so we have to go off the beaten track here. I want something challenging, rewarding and something to bring to the table with you guys here at diyAudio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcmbob View Post
Hi Bob,

I built a woofer unit a lot like the Wicked One years ago. Again, that would be easy to build from wood. I think I am looking for something with sweeping curves or...

ah hell, I don't know what I want. It's tough to come up with an idea when you have built so many. I need to chew on this for a bit.

Thanks for the ideas so far, don't let me discourage you from adding more but let's think outside the 'box' X got me going down a whole new path so if I am a bit of a bother, blame him.
Old 14th April 2013, 10:26 PM   #1592
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Sometimes I like to wander around looking at things to get a new idea. I was in the shop when this one came to me. Guess what I was doing?

No, I wasn't watching Southpark.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6409.jpg (39.6 KB, 280 views)
Old 15th April 2013, 03:46 AM   #1593
Carlp is offline Carlp  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Weldon View Post
Hi Cogi,

Thanks for popping in. The 'Calhoun' was one of those double horns I did back in '07. What I am looking for is something new and exciting. The Kleinhorn is really tempting but I need something more reasonable if it has any chance of hanging around the living room.
Isn't it time for someone to do an OB outta foam core? How about the Decware approach using a resonant chamber behind? I've been wanting to experiment with that but just haven't had the time. Obviously would need some wings or similar re-inforcement, but we're using reinforcement/bracing anyway...

Or maybe pick up a few more drivers and try a line array?
Old 15th April 2013, 05:29 AM   #1594
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Cal,
I know how you feel....
I have been looking for the next big cool design to cut some foam and make speakers again but haven't quite found anything yet.

Here is an idea I have been working on in my head for some time now. A double layer Cornu with each layer tuned to a different fb. I think I would make a 28 inch x 3 in deep in the back side for lower bass and a 18 in x 2.5 in in front for higher bass, use a 4 in driver like a Tang Band W4 1337 SDF bamboo paper. You can rotate the front Cornu 45 deg on its axis so that it looks like a diamond resting against the back one. The front and back Cornus share a common middle panel with a hole in it. I think this will allow it to have a smoother freq response to overcome the big peak around 150 Hz.

Additional tuning can be done to augment either on of the Cornus by making the final mouths also open up and out like a brimmed hat that curves up. The ability for the foam core to up is key. This can get you about 3x more gain in the bass for the bigger one in back or for the one in front.

There it is. The double Cornu with a twist.

X
Old 15th April 2013, 05:34 AM   #1595
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlp View Post
Isn't it time for someone to do an OB outta foam core? How about the Decware approach using a resonant chamber behind? I've been wanting to experiment with that but just haven't had the time. Obviously would need some wings or similar re-inforcement, but we're using reinforcement/bracing anyway...

Or maybe pick up a few more drivers and try a line array?
I did an open baffle with foam and a cardboard box somewhere back in this thread. Works well it just looks ugly to me that's all. Also, I missed the bass that once came from my 3.5 in driver which then has to come from a woofer.
Old 15th April 2013, 10:24 AM   #1596
diyAudio Member

Cal,

Nagaoka Swan D101-S

Single Driver Website

This was always in the same category as the Cornu. All the cuts, the putting together, the frustration, the bar tab. It got put on the back burner. But I have been thinking about trying it lately.

Maybe an idea for ya. Not super exciting, but could be fun.
Old 15th April 2013, 11:27 AM   #1597
KLBIrd is offline KLBIrd  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to KLBIrd
Ah, the difficult choices of a speaker builder. All that foam and so many designs!
Old 15th April 2013, 03:14 PM   #1598
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Zayne, you stir up some memories with a periscope style system.

This is my first bi-amped system, The bottom chamber has a downfiring woofer and plate amp, the top 2 way is an old set of aluminum cabinets with a front and back tilt as well as a lazy susan swivel on the bottom of the shaft. Those were a lot of fun. Didn't get past that stage though as they weren't the best thing I had done.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4191.jpg (43.3 KB, 225 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4189.jpg (46.6 KB, 221 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4192.jpg (41.7 KB, 197 views)
Old 15th April 2013, 04:59 PM   #1599
wesayso is offline wesayso  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Maybe a paraline out of foam core would be a challenge?
Old 15th April 2013, 05:13 PM   #1600
diyAudio Member

What's a paraline? Line array?

Hide this!Advertise here!