Foam Core Board Speaker Enclosures?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I think the Nautaloss (sideways) would work well.
391320d1388726734-nautaloss-ref-monitor-nautaloss-ii-build-06.jpg

Just finished the folded MTML design to attempt a center channel. Build came out ok, but I'm thinking the Vifa doesn't reach high enough and I might need a tweeter.

This build really renewed my enthusiasm for these foam core builds though! Does anyone have measurements for the single driver Karlsonator? I went through a few pages from around that time and I couldn't see any sp coric dimensions.

Also, does anyone have any tips for squaring up pieces? Trying to trim the edges of these foam boards just chews em up

I came across this design for a passive folded horn phone speaker here:

Folded Horn Passive Phone Speaker : 8 Steps (with Pictures) - Instructables

I thought it would be a fun project to use up left over foamboard. I can copy the design from instructables easily enough but I thought I would ask if there were any other designs that might be worth considering?

It shouldn't be too big, so that for example it could be put on a table when dining outdoors or when camping and it would be good if it could be used in portrait or landscape mode so that it could be used when watching movies.

Any thoughts?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi Jeggles,
That is a great idea - i think I may have tried this once before. It will depend on where your phone's speaker output is. On iPhone, it is on the bottom edge. A slot holster with foam rubber gasket seal will improve the efficiency. Those drivers probably only go down to 150Hz. Ideally the horn should be at least 23in long total path to support that low of a frequency. Or a single fold on a 12 in tall construction will work. Or maybe a small Cornu with 23in spiral path length. The horn would lie flat and be omni output with phone standing straght up in a slotted holster.

Hi X,

Thanks for your encouragement. A cornu would be fun but reading through the cornu thread the opinion seems to be that they are not so good for near-field listening. With a phone you will generally want it close at hand. I will play around with some horn designs. I have some of those sticky silicon sheets that can be used to stick a phone to things like dashboards. They should make good seals. I will try anyway.

How about using a Dayton ND90-08

How would the Dayton ND90-08 or ND91 compare to the TC9FD18 for use in the 0.40x K'nator Score-N-Fold cabinet. I have a pair looking for an enclosure and just discovered this thread regarding foam cabinets. Been interested in the Karlson designs including the exponential curved speaker front panels since seeing them in the mid 50's electronics mags. (yes, I am that old!).

FYI I have designed several "standard" speakers for friends and family and myself so I am not new to the DIY scene.

George

Sorry for so many questions but I would like the enclosuers look nice and not like a kindergardner glued them.

I get it that the glued edge of the first side is all from the inside so that edge looks nice and clean. But what is recommended to glue the other side on? Do you just run a bead of PVA along the edge of the side and a fine thread of glue on the upright pieces and assume that that is adequate?

George