Foam Core Board Speaker Enclosures?

Hi, I have a question to ask:- is it possible to find foam board that can be composted? I like the idea of using foam board, but not if it has a negative effect on our environment. At present I am working with recycled paper, and is a very effective medium for speaker building. My reasoning about using foam board is to try and combine the two together.

tapestryofsound

Searching on “biodegradable foam board EU” yielded this site from the UK (I’m assuming you’re in Scotland from the flag shown by your name):

Biodegradable Foamboard - FoamBoard Online

I’m sure there are others.

Last edited:
Searching on “biodegradable foam board EU” yielded this site from the UK (I’m assuming you’re in Scotland from the flag shown by your name):

Biodegradable Foamboard - FoamBoard Online

I’m sure there are others.

Oh, that is outstandingly good news - I’m in! :wave: Thank you for that. :)

Yes, I live in rural Scotland, and try my very best to have as little eco-impact as is possible.

tapestryofsound

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Read the first 10 pages or so. Basics are to use a sharp utility blade razor or Xacto and metal sharp edge. Cut in multiple strokes to go deeper each time. Use hot melt glue to tack in spots if piece is too large and seal with hot melt like caulking making a nice fillet. To bend curves score partial cuts in the concave side and roll board on round object of similar radius to prebend. To glue the second side panel, use PVA as hot melt sets too quickly for you to apply a leak free joint more than 20 to 24 linear inches at a time. Use lots of bracing every 3 to 4 in of span to reduce drumhead vibration from panels.

Good examples are:

Bends:
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/225622-building-cornu-spiral-horn-3.html#post3285100

Compound bends to flat:
FH3-inspired Foam Core Mini Build

Curved cabinets:
Viva la Vifa! Curvy Cabinet DCR with TC9FD

Tractrix horns:
Presenting the Trynergy - a full range tractrix synergy.

Transmission Lines:
Low-Cost PMC-inspired TL Monitor with DC130A and DC28F

Subwoofers:
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/ful...itio-karlson-6th-bandpass-26.html#post4226956

Really big subs and nice sealed TL's:
The Nautaloss Ref Monitor

Last edited:
Read the first 10 pages or so. Basics are to use a sharp utility blade razor or Xacto and metal sharp edge. ... To glue the second side panel, use PVA as hot melt sets too quickly for you to apply a leak free joint more than 20 to 24 linear inches at a time. ...

I use Elmer's glue to join the last side and it seems a bit difficult without applying some pressure. If I apply pressure with clamps I normally use for wood then some spots can be seen after removing them. Probably you can use some large wood pieces to be used in between the clamps and the foam core boards, but I am afraid that the excess glue might get the wood stick to the boards.
Sorry for this maybe naive question but how exactly is the best way to do this process?

You mentioned several times that you use liquid Nails for sticking the last side. What do you exactly mean by that? When I search on eBay or Amazon I can only find cosmetics related fake nails and similar stuff... Do you have a link to an online store by any chance?
Thanks for everything, I start to love this sort of projects :)

Hey X, do you think something like a scaled-down Chang could be done with foamcore? Using a pair of the "usual" ~3" class drivers that are popular in these foamcore shenanigans, such as the TC9FD, 3FE25, or a single PA130-8, or even those cheap MCM drivers from Newark/Element 14?

I've attached the plans for the half chang that is meant for the FE206E. There's also the smaller Suzy Chang that's meant for the 4" FE103 and I think 107?

Something like a third-chang, quarter-chang? :rolleyes:

I think it might be something to look into with doubled-up foamcore sides, or maybe XPS foam. Maybe even luaun plywood sides. Should be economical and easy enough to build with adequate bracing, and maybe the lower stepped area could be built as a hollow triangular chamber.

Attachments

• half-chang-0v9.gif
    half-chang-0v9.gif
    19 KB · Views: 341
Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
This is a horn augmented reflex box and can't be scaled like BLH. It is easy enough to do a sim on Akabak though. What are you trying to achieve, what is max size of cabinet, are you looking for a cheap and fun experiment, or something more likely to sound great?

Certainly foam core or XPS can be used to make this.

For the driver list you gave, go with a 0.53x Karlsonator with PA130-8.

Or if you want fun with a horn, make an FHL-lite with TC9FD or 3FE25. Or go with my scaled version of FH3 (earlier in this thread).

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/ful...pired-foam-core-mini-build-3.html#post3339779

323295d1357966447-fh3-inspired-foam-core-mini-build-foam-fh3i-01-jpg

Last edited:
Probably a fun project to see how I like the style, and then eventual build of larger version? Max size of cabinet depends on what is reasonable- I personally have no problem going from 36-48" tall if needed, but keeping it down to 30" makes it easier for others that like to stick to a single sheet of foamcore high.

I'm itching to build something different, and have six MCM drivers still, a couple TC9FD, and couple Fountek FE83 still on hand. I'm halfway through a cornu build but it's back burner for now.

If I remember they wanted a small enclosure in a Karlsonator, so maybe a pair would do in a Chang type of enclosure? Since the box should be large enough, and is practically a rectangle I would think it shouldn't be too difficult to fit a pair in parallel for 8 ohms. Hmmm.

I don't have the PA130 on hand, I mistyped. Just figured it was low cost so added it to the list. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I would love to build a air of the larger K's with a pair of PA130 per side :)

Last edited: