Foam Core Board Speaker Enclosures? - Page 157 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th April 2013, 10:58 PM   #1561
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
Put a string of LED lights in the channels with translucent plexiglas cover...
Then get one of those controllers that makes the lights go dimmer and brighter in response to the music!

You know, for "the Quebec effect." Perhaps you don't, but I am sure my Canadian brethren can relate.

Old 5th April 2013, 04:12 PM   #1562
diyAudio Member

Wow this thread is getting close to 100,000 views! If I were going to use the Tang Band W3-881SI what size Cornu should I build? How deep should it be built. Awesome thread I hope to building something this weekend in foamboard. Wish me luck. Surprised no one has put up a YouTube video of these speakers yet.
Old 5th April 2013, 05:25 PM   #1563
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

W3-881SI works with 20 in x 3.5 in deep. I think 6L6 posted construction vids but none with how they sound. I have posted sound clips in these threads.
Old 5th April 2013, 05:30 PM   #1564
diyAudio Member

Stunned at how easy these things are. I just mocked up a quick TABAQ (per X's recommendation) to test out an arriving HiWave driver. Together in under an hour and about $2. You are the bomb, sir.

Last edited by motrctyman; 5th April 2013 at 05:34 PM.
Old 5th April 2013, 05:36 PM   #1565
diyAudio Member

Motownman,
Nice job! You may want to add bracing so there are no more than 3 to 4 in long spans without bracing. Otherwise you may get some 'breathing mode' vibrations. Double up the foam core where the driver mounts to get some additional strength. I have not made a straight TABAQ yet, I have flattened and folded them but straight is cool.
Thanks for trying it.
X
Old 5th April 2013, 05:48 PM   #1566
diyAudio Member

There are three more braces down the line....took the picture too early. Still have not put on the top yet (waiting for PE to deliver my drivers....backordered until April 15th....)

Actually, to your idea of the added baffle......

I was going to do that...but also keep it to where I could add a larger baffle to see if there is any differences....maybe up to a full sheet just for giggles and grins. I put a larger plate on the bottom of it and have it mounted on four spikes for now and will build the second one Sunday morning. Slick, slick, slick. Folks over at the PE Techtalk kind of made fun of my "test box". Means you are on to something here....
Old 5th April 2013, 06:44 PM   #1567
diyAudio Member

They can snicker all they want until they listen to a FC speaker that is well designed. Just like how some visitors who saw my setup and were in total disbelief after they heard it. See this post describing my first speaker "showing" Foam Core Board Speaker Enclosures?
Old 5th April 2013, 07:42 PM   #1568
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

I like this thread.
Old 5th April 2013, 09:00 PM   #1569
diyAudio Member

Those are awesome X! Yeah, mine are just a simple straight-line copy of the TABQW. I have never built a simple straight one, but was very interested. Have built a ton of folded pipes though. I wish I still had pictures of the RS's I had built over the years... But, I have been looking at the really stiff pink foam board they have at home depot. What a wonderful opportunity to build an 8' tall folded TQWP for a nice, cheap, 12" driver! If using 1" thick foam, two sheets would be around $50. Super easy to cut with a hot knife. Get a high Q 12" driver without much xmax and I bet you could floor (literally) people. I even figured out a way of stress-loading to the floor using allthread and some big fender washers from the ceiling...details to come soon.
Old 5th April 2013, 09:01 PM   #1570
diyAudio Member

.....like this.....

Hide this!Advertise here!