Foam Core Board Speaker Enclosures? - Page 156 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th March 2013, 02:46 AM   #1551
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Just make sure the SMPS supplies are the non grounded variety otherwise the positive on one can't be tied to negative of other brick. Most are the non grounded variety though and can be had for cheap if you don't have a couple already lying aroundunused. Isn't the sound if one transistor clapping the Pass Zen designs? I'll have to check it out. So many amps so little time.
Old 29th March 2013, 03:33 PM   #1552
Carlp is offline Carlp  United States
diyAudio Member

I, for one, don't think Pass has the lock on that phrase, but that may just be me. To me, any single transistor (SE) amp with minimalist design is a zen design (not Zen). But I digress b/c I do want to try some of the Pass designs (e.g. Enlightenment).
Old 30th March 2013, 11:29 PM   #1553
diyAudio Member

I just finished my TPA3116D2 amp in the class D forum TPA3118D2 It sounds fantastic and will be my new amp powering my foam core creations. 30 watts/ch at 0.1% THD runs from a 19 v laptop brick, and is the size of a credit card in outline.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 31st March 2013, 12:55 AM   #1554
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
she has been a pretty good sport
It's geting scary around here. There I was in one of the many second hand store and I was trying to hide this behind my back when SWMBO noticed.

And what did we buy today?

Uh-oh I thought, here comes that look. You know the look. Uh-huh, she says let me see it, how much?

6 bucks I say nice and proud. A big smile comes over her face and she says that looks like a nice one, do have a use for it?

Well, no.

That's ok it's only 6 bucks she says.

On the way home she says - I like it when you buy those things from the second hand store, so cheap that way. Is that a good one?

You both are honey, you both are.
Old 31st March 2013, 01:05 AM   #1555
diyAudio Member

Nice buy there Cal. Lately it not about the price but the fact that if I do diy it takes away from me getting important things done. So the look is "are you crazy, where are you going to have time to work on that?"
Old 2nd April 2013, 12:42 PM   #1556
diyAudio Member

Lol!
Old 2nd April 2013, 10:55 PM   #1557
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to KMossman Send a message via Skype™ to KMossman
Quote:
Cal,
I have managed to find a home for the FIB's in bedroom 1, the micro BIB in bedroom 2 (bookshelf size), the flat MLTL in the den, the micro Cornu's in the kitchen, and the mini Cornu's and the floor standing rear firing tapped horns have to share the basement rec room. Right now, the Cornu's are 'in storage'. But as you can see, I am quickly running out of rooms and will have to resort to giving them away if I produce anymore foam offspring
X
the bathroom is next?

I will paythe shipping! hahahahhaha
Old 3rd April 2013, 03:17 AM   #1558
diyAudio Member

I forgot about the bathrooms. Well then there are the closets, the garage, and the foyer... Shipping something this bulky to China will cost a lot more than the foam and drivers... Hey, have you built any foam core speakers yet Mossman?
Old 3rd April 2013, 03:00 PM   #1559
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I am already thinking what to do next with the spiral horns. I think that the design and shape is what attracts me to them in the first place, and the wonderful sound is just icing on the cake. It is a shame to cover up the beautiful curved channels with a panel that you can't see thru. I think a clear acrylic top cover would be really cool and turn these things into art. I would have to be much more careful with internal construction though as it would all be exposed. Do you guys think that seeing the internals would be an attraction or cover it up? Lowes has 2 ft x 4 ft sheets of 0.080 in thick acrylic for $20. That is enough for the pair. Hmmmmm...
What I was thinking of was white semi transparent plexi glass for the front panel and a clear back panel and light the edges all the way around you would get a soft glow and the spiral shape would have a shadow effect. Just a thought.
Old 4th April 2013, 09:55 PM   #1560
diyAudio Member

Put a string of LED lights in the channels with translucent plexiglas cover...

Hide this!Advertise here!