Foam Core Board Speaker Enclosures? - Page 146 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd March 2013, 02:44 PM   #1451
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Weldon View Post
Correct me if I am wrong but are you mixing two of us up?

X is the only one talking Vifa's and FH Mk-lll.
I guess we must look alike!?
Old 3rd March 2013, 03:00 PM   #1452
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Foamheads.
Old 3rd March 2013, 03:47 PM   #1453
bcmbob is offline bcmbob  United States
diyAudio Member

We are gonna get slammed for being too far off topic, but...

"....... I see aquarium pumps and air to water heat xchangers."

I started water cooling PCs about eight years ago. Got tired of paying $50 to $80 for good pumps so I modified an aquarium pump ($9) and combined it with the reservoir. It's been perfect cooling dual Core II CPUs and two Quadro workstation graphic cards.

I've become a believer in the "There's no such thing as the best amp." theory. With today's offerings just about everything one builds really sounds good. IMHO, It's more important to match an amp to a given set of speakers within one's budget and listening room dimensions. My reference amp is still the MyRef Fremen Edition but it is an overshoot with the Cornu and other full range designs. My other favorite (non Pass/discrete) match for the small to medium foam core projects is a $25 TDA7294 kit that I call the "Tiny Giant". Simply amazing sound for the size and cost. It's available from several eBay vendors.

The discrete design can lead to amps the size of small freezers and require a private substation for power - most of the mass being heat sink. The Pass path has been fun, interesting and fulfilling with gobs of references to pull from. It might be very attractive to many foam core advocates as they already have shown high interest in experimentation.

Let us know the results for your TPA3118 build. I've heard many accolades on those amps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130303_094630.jpg (249.9 KB, 431 views)
File Type: jpg 20130303_094640.jpg (362.0 KB, 421 views)

Last edited by bcmbob; 3rd March 2013 at 03:50 PM.
Old 4th March 2013, 03:18 PM   #1454
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

23.5 hours without a post here. Must be a record.
Old 4th March 2013, 05:35 PM   #1455
bcmbob is offline bcmbob  United States
diyAudio Member

We are all holding our breath in anticipation of a full report on your new 5-way. Did you get them tuned in to your liking?

Last edited by bcmbob; 4th March 2013 at 05:43 PM.
Old 4th March 2013, 06:08 PM   #1456
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcmbob View Post
We are gonna get slammed for being too far off topic, but...

"....... I see aquarium pumps and air to water heat xchangers."

I started water cooling PCs about eight years ago. Got tired of paying $50 to $80 for good pumps so I modified an aquarium pump ($9) and combined it with the reservoir. It's been perfect cooling dual Core II CPUs and two Quadro workstation graphic cards.

I've become a believer in the "There's no such thing as the best amp." theory. With today's offerings just about everything one builds really sounds good. IMHO, It's more important to match an amp to a given set of speakers within one's budget and listening room dimensions. My reference amp is still the MyRef Fremen Edition but it is an overshoot with the Cornu and other full range designs. My other favorite (non Pass/discrete) match for the small to medium foam core projects is a $25 TDA7294 kit that I call the "Tiny Giant". Simply amazing sound for the size and cost. It's available from several eBay vendors.

The discrete design can lead to amps the size of small freezers and require a private substation for power - most of the mass being heat sink. The Pass path has been fun, interesting and fulfilling with gobs of references to pull from. It might be very attractive to many foam core advocates as they already have shown high interest in experimentation.

Let us know the results for your TPA3118 build. I've heard many accolades on those amps.
How would you do a setup for gen 1 ps3?
Old 4th March 2013, 07:18 PM   #1457
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcmbob View Post
your new 5-way. Did you get them tuned in to your liking?
No, honey was on the warpath this weekend so I spent a lot of time saying "yes dear."

I will kick off a little early today so I can cut and mount whatever I decide for the baffle. Maybe tomorrow I can get back to serious listening.

I was wondering what you meant by 5 way - till suddenly a light went on. Or was it only a candle?
Old 5th March 2013, 12:17 AM   #1458
guangui is offline guangui  Puerto Rico
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Weldon View Post
No, honey was on the warpath this weekend so I spent a lot of time saying "yes dear."

I will kick off a little early today so I can cut and mount whatever I decide for the baffle. Maybe tomorrow I can get back to serious listening.

I was wondering what you meant by 5 way - till suddenly a light went on. Or was it only a candle?
Ahhh, a weekend of warfare, aren't they fun! Never a way to win those for us.

It wasn't a light or candle that went on, it was "Honey" smacking your head to stop writing in the forum, and get back to the "honey-do's".
Old 6th March 2013, 11:38 PM   #1459
diyAudio Member

We've got the Popes
Old 6th March 2013, 11:42 PM   #1460
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Yes, these will be filling in until a new one is chosen.

Hide this!Advertise here!