Foam Core Board Speaker Enclosures? - Page 144 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd March 2013, 03:46 PM   #1431
KLBIrd is offline KLBIrd  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to KLBIrd
I would think they would work fine. The Audience was designed for use in their line array systems and was overpriced as a DIY speaker. They are relatively flat from 40hz to 20Khz, an amazing bit of engineering. The Audience specs are 70Hz fs, Qts .33, Vas .11 Ft cu,
with an Xmax OF 12 mm. I'm not familiar with any Vifa driver that comes close to the Audience specs.
Old 2nd March 2013, 03:54 PM   #1432
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Ken,
You are really good at these foam creations! Your speakers look great! I wish I could hear them. The black foam core board is a good touch with the aesthetics combined with your stained wood supra baffle makes a very nice looking speaker. I am going to have to get busy to keep up with you
I am busy on my foam core Class D TPA3118D2 amp right now. Making progress finally on that.
Old 2nd March 2013, 03:57 PM   #1433
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcmbob View Post
That really depends on the depth of you FC syndrome. Could lead to a whole new project. Remember??

Two fresh blocks per FC project and soon....

Click the image to open in full size.
Is that an in ground horn made of cinder blocks? Wow! Crazy....
Old 2nd March 2013, 03:58 PM   #1434
bcmbob is offline bcmbob  United States
diyAudio Member

I have two Vifa TC9FD that sound great. Well worth ordering another pair and giving it a try. It would be great for me to have a slim box, though I really like the horn concept. See two new projects coming on.

XRK, No, those are bricks. If you didn't catch it on the earlier post there is a link to a complete construction thread back on post #1347.

Worlds Largest Woofer

Last edited by bcmbob; 2nd March 2013 at 04:03 PM.
Old 2nd March 2013, 04:46 PM   #1435
diyAudio Member

Bob,
Try the vifa's with the FH3-inspired horn if you want a slim box. They sound really good in this cabinet - fantastic imaging and good deep bass. I am listening to them right now.

The plans for the horn is in the FH3 inspired thread.

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by xrk971; 2nd March 2013 at 05:08 PM.
Old 2nd March 2013, 06:26 PM   #1436
guangui is offline guangui  Puerto Rico
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Weldon View Post
Yet another note to self: Cut the pieces to size before gluing together. Yellow glue is hard to cut with an Olfa knife.

Yes but like most things, I use them up on something. In this case they became base weights.
Nice use of concrete patio tiles...
Old 2nd March 2013, 06:32 PM   #1437
bcmbob is offline bcmbob  United States
diyAudio Member

I was watching those. SO MANY CHOICES !!

I'm trying to finish a couple amp projects right now but I'll be digging out the foam core in a few weeks. I'm sure there will be more than one style to try.
Old 2nd March 2013, 06:40 PM   #1438
KLBIrd is offline KLBIrd  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to KLBIrd
Cal-Thanks for the comments. I braking them in with today's Met broadcast of Parsifal. I'm intrigued with the FH 3 and may try a pair later. Which Vifa Model are you using in them?
I wonder of the Visaton FR 10s I have would be applicable? Do you need a good corner for them? I don't have many uncluttered corners.
Old 2nd March 2013, 06:59 PM   #1439
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLBIrd View Post
Cal-Thanks for the comments. I braking them in with today's Met broadcast of Parsifal. I'm intrigued with the FH 3 and may try a pair later. Which Vifa Model are you using in them?
I wonder of the Visaton FR 10s I have would be applicable? Do you need a good corner for them? I don't have many uncluttered corners.
Ken,
I use the vifa Tc9fd with the FH3 inspired horns. They sound great with just a wall behind them. No corner needed. The FR10 will work fine in them, you may want to stick with full scale FH3 as it was designed for 4 in driver ( MA Alpair 7 or CHR70). Cabinet will be 33 in tall and single foam sheet won't work unless you have access to more expensive larger sheets.
I highly recommend them though. Get some vifa's you won't be disappointed, very versatile and excellent sounding driver.
Old 2nd March 2013, 08:07 PM   #1440
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

There is no stuffing yet and they aren't even fastened to the cabinet, let alone a wood baffle but as usual I am impatient.

Soooo... how do they sound I hear you asking. I can think of only one word to describe the sound at this point.

Intimidating.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1245.jpg (83.8 KB, 297 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!