Foam Core Board Speaker Enclosures? - Page 128 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th February 2013, 03:03 PM   #1271
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

GM,
Thanks for posting the Weems Celotex enclosure - looks like a lot of fun to be had! Do you have the scans for the 8 inch version? Perfect for a Pioneer bofu.
Thanks,
X
Old 8th February 2013, 03:47 PM   #1272
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

You're welcome! Unfortunately not since '72 and wouldn't have this one except for FreddyI and IIRC he didn't still have it either. All I remember is it's similar/smaller. Regardless, with MJK's, etc. software one can design something similar and/or better overall, I just haven't gotten around to it.

In retrospect and with a lot better understanding of such things, virtually all the published DIY projects I built or more recently reverse engineered requires anywhere from a ~0.7-1.2 Qt system, so the Bofu would need ~3-8 ohms of series resistance.

GM
Old 8th February 2013, 07:06 PM   #1273
KLBIrd is offline KLBIrd  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to KLBIrd
The first speaker project I built was the David Weems 8 inch Celotex corner enclosure in the November 1955, issue of Popular Electronics. I was fifteen at the time and I remember the trouble I got into for building it in my mother's kitchen. I used a speaker from a junked Zenith TV along with my ten watt Allied Radio Kit amp. Over those last six decades I built a number of his designs and in 1992 I wrote him and received a reply. We corresponded over the years and when I retired back to my native Missouri we finally met. I interviewed him for an article that appeared in the October 2009 issue of Audio Express. We spoke a few days ago and he doing well at age 91. I have many of his designs in PDF form from 1955 to 1970 that appeared in popular Electronics and Radio Electronics. He is truly the father of DIY speaker building.
Old 8th February 2013, 07:31 PM   #1274
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
When you say clamshell do you mean drivers are inside between two chambers with vent on one side?
See the pic. If you place another driver on the opposite side of where the driver is shown in a normal tapped horn and face it together it's called clamshelling. It's a type of isobaric loading. It allows for the downsizing of the cabinet by approximately 1/2. I wonder if it would work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zayne742 View Post
I really wonder if that will work
Me too but let's not forget the two products are different. the pink stuff is unfaced Type IV EPS made by Owens Corning. This is a faced iso board so I dare say the two are going to behave differently.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2013-02-08 at 12.28.13 PM.png (38.5 KB, 282 views)
Old 8th February 2013, 08:27 PM   #1275
diyAudio Member

Cal,
Thanks for enlightening me on isobaric driver arrangement! I was telling you about the 4th order bandpass subwoofer I was designing in WinISD and went in there and turned the "clamshell" switch to ON and sure enough the enclosure achieved better performance at half the volume! Pretty cool.
Old 8th February 2013, 08:29 PM   #1276
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Well, since I don't have any software how do you feel about this?

Isobaric tapped horns
Old 8th February 2013, 08:44 PM   #1277
diyAudio Member

I can try running a sim in HornResp for you later - are those your drivers on the link? You want tuning frequency to be at 50 Hz? Is that a 12 in driver? Tell me your approx box depth, height and horn length you want.
Old 8th February 2013, 08:47 PM   #1278
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Thanks very much X.

Reckhorn W-130 6" driver

www.reckhorn.com - Bass-mid W 130
Old 8th February 2013, 08:50 PM   #1279
diyAudio Member

Enclosure size limits? What is so special about these Reckhorn drivers? Efficiency is not very good. I guess you have them on hand and they need a home is why
Old 8th February 2013, 08:56 PM   #1280
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

You can read about them in the other thread. I would like to downsize a bit and having them concealed in the cabinet works for me also. Size would be about...

...let me go home and I'll give you the measures of the cabinet they are in now. I would like to reuse it.

The upper cabinets are the RS-1354 5.25" and a HiVi dome tweeter XO'd really high.

Hide this!Advertise here!