Foam Core Board Speaker Enclosures? - Page 124 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th February 2013, 02:03 PM   #1231
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Exactly, no harm done because it is fast and cheap to try out wacky crazy stuff with foam core. I think foam core has been really good for trying out things, but at the same time I am finding that it ends up sounding really good most of the time - generally true if design is good. What I have been able to do is to do a study of the effect of different alignments and cabinets while keeping the driver fixed. I have tested about 7 different ones now in the course of 3 months. How many builds do you think I would have done if they were in wood? Anyhow, it's been a blast. I am settling to see which I want to pursue in wood now.
Old 4th February 2013, 02:24 PM   #1232
ravener is offline ravener  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Have sealed up the enclosure, does make a difference in the sound signature as compared to the original satellite; it definitely sounded more open and spacious.

But, as the driver is only 2"(actually, i measured 1.9"), it can't move enough air to make the bass pronounced. I can clearly hear the presence of a deep bass if i were to put my ears at the horn mouth, and bass can still be heard about 20cm away, any further than that, there's no bass.

Wonder how it would be if i just remove the 2" driver, and chuck in a 3 incher in its place...

edit: I probably need to scale it down further, I have a hunch that the enclosure just have too much air for the driver to move about, therefore weakening it's bass response...

Last edited by ravener; 4th February 2013 at 02:28 PM.
Old 4th February 2013, 02:25 PM   #1233
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
........it is hard to tell the difference other than a warmer coloration to FIB sound. I think this may be the characteristic 'BIB' signature sounds and really depends on how much damping and stuffing you apply
FWIW, i.e. not much since it's an apples n' oranges comparison, using snip-its of Jeff Beck's 'Emotion & Commotion' CD through a cheap computer sound card/Windoze Media player feeding an ancient Creative 2.1 system, your clip comes off as very 'colored', to the point that it drove the system to unacceptable distortion in comparison.

All things considered though, The [mid] bass line was a bit of an eye opener.

Anyway, nice to see folks finally experimenting with these types of 'miniatures'; early on I learned quite a bit about TL/horn design, especially back loaded, along with room interaction and how different materials affected its sonic 'signature' from comparing ~scale models of proven designs with many variations.

GM
Old 4th February 2013, 02:31 PM   #1234
diyAudio Member

Listening to Espana is quite joy with the Fibonnaci Horn though, sounded like I'm live in the concert hall.
Old 4th February 2013, 02:33 PM   #1235
diyAudio Member

Quote:
<snip> I am settling to see which I want to pursue in wood now.
heh, I might want to try making a proper Wood Fibonacci with a 4" driver in it, I think it will sound awesome with a proper amp.
Old 4th February 2013, 02:40 PM   #1236
diyAudio Member

Ravener,
You might want to give the Cornu a try if you want to do a 4 in driver. It is a proven design with lots of people liking the sound and the bass comes out on 4 sides vs just one with the Fibonacci. You should try the Fibonacci in foam in the 4 in first before cutting wood though. A 3 in stuffed in your current one should work better - get a bigger amp! At least 3 to 8 watts.
Old 4th February 2013, 02:42 PM   #1237
diyAudio Member

X,

All in due time, all in due time, now i gotta review this build and see in what way can i make it more perfect.

edit: IMO, i think the most important aspect is to make sure the curves are as smooth as you can get them to be.
Old 4th February 2013, 02:44 PM   #1238
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
FWIW, i.e. not much since it's an apples n' oranges comparison, using snip-its of Jeff Beck's 'Emotion & Commotion' CD through a cheap computer sound card/Windoze Media player feeding an ancient Creative 2.1 system, your clip comes off as very 'colored', to the point that it drove the system to unacceptable distortion in comparison.

All things considered though, The [mid] bass line was a bit of an eye opener.

Anyway, nice to see folks finally experimenting with these types of 'miniatures'; early on I learned quite a bit about TL/horn design, especially back loaded, along with room interaction and how different materials affected its sonic 'signature' from comparing ~scale models of proven designs with many variations.

GM
GM,
I don't understand how Jeff Beck has anything to do with my FIB soundclip? I checked the sound levels in the mp3 during recording and in the mp3, they should be well below distortion or clipping levels and sound ok on my computer's sound card. Room acoustics have a lot to do with how it sounds probably. Anyone else hearing bad distortion on the mp3 clip? I can make a better one if that is the case. If you want to compare my clip with what it may sound like if you had CD, try this link www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Oga5lYb9EA

Last edited by xrk971; 4th February 2013 at 02:53 PM.
Old 4th February 2013, 02:59 PM   #1239
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravener View Post
X,

All in due time, all in due time, now i gotta review this build and see in what way can i make it more perfect.

edit: IMO, i think the most important aspect is to make sure the curves are as smooth as you can get them to be.
Not trying to rush you, just saying that if you are going to try a larger project without a model or design, you might be better off trying something tested first. I think the smoothness of the curve is not that important if you are concerned about this acting as a back loaded horn to enhance bass. In fact smooth will allow higher frequencies to come through and this may mess your imaging with main driver output.

I actually purposely put sharp corners inside the spirals at beginning to low pass output.
Old 4th February 2013, 03:19 PM   #1240
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I actually purposely put sharp corners inside the spirals at beginning to low pass output.
Ah I see, will try to work that into my design.

Anyway, I tried to record while playing Espana, there are quite a bit of distortion when the drums and the cymbals come on together, not sure if there isn't enough 'buffer' power from the amp, or I'm actually overloading the driver (probably the latter).

Hide this!Advertise here!