Foam Core Board Speaker Enclosures?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Where did you find the drivers for such a low price? All I can find them for is $100! Maybe I misunderstood the $20 cost of components...

There are two different horns in that 5MR460NDY thread. The first one is big and uses the $105 pro audio grade 5MR460NDY driver. That horn uses 7 sheets of foam core $7, $4 in caulking, $1 glue sticks, $1 binding posts. About $118 dollars. The second horn is smaller at 0.70x scale of the first and uses 4 sheets of foam core $4, $1 binding posts, $1 glue sticks, $2 caulking, $12 Vifa TC9FD driver. This is not the best driver for it just an experiment. But if you have DSP it can be made to sound pretty good. I am waiting for a Faital Pro 3FE25 driver which is $19. So it will be a $27 horn when compete. Not too many 108dB sensitive speakers out there for under $30. :)

Hope that is more clear.

Just curiosity: has anyone used Decent quality Foam board??
Dollar tree stuff almost free but accordingly it's also as ****** a Foam board product as one could possibly find. Pre-delaminated, or at least it v soon will be as the paper will fall off once any humidity hits it and too often it's even full of ripples as well as being Bowed.
Michaels' sells a far better quality Elmers' brand board for a 2/4$ a sheet while a Graphics supply shop will stock Very good quality foam boards in varying thicknesses and even in sheet sizes mimicking those that Plywood is available in. More $$ though.
Also plastic skinned Gator board.. pricey though, but Seriously durable
Just saying.. cheap is good but there's little joy in having one's work fall apart, shortly thereafter

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Just curiosity: has anyone used Decent quality Foam board??
Dollar tree stuff almost free but accordingly it's also as ****** a Foam board product as one could possibly find. Pre-delaminated, or at least it v soon will be as the paper will fall off once any humidity hits it and too often it's even full of ripples as well as being Bowed.
Michaels' sells a far better quality Elmers' brand board for a 2/4$ a sheet while a Graphics supply shop will stock Very good quality foam boards in varying thicknesses and even in sheet sizes mimicking those that Plywood is available in. More $$ though.
Also plastic skinned Gator board.. pricey though, but Seriously durable
Just saying.. cheap is good but there's little joy in having one's work fall apart, shortly thereafter

I really like the Elmer's stuff for my more permanent of nicer builds. Great stuff Ns is much stronger and less resonant. I should make the the tractrix out of this stuff to reduce distortion.

Hi there!
First, sorry for hijscking this thread whith what I am about to post here, but I didn't want to open a new thread. So, it's not made out of foam,but...this is what happens when you drink your sunday coffe, then go toward a trash bin to discard a coffe can...
In the meantime, you know that you have some more junk to discard, but what if....
You combine a coffe can, old 4" car fullrange speaker, a tiny TDA2003 chip amp, and 8 Ni-Mh AA batteries?
I just did that today, and this is what I got...
Oh yes, I had a free afternoon-wife was not at home :D

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1409521235137.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1409521235137.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 430
  • uploadfromtaptalk1409521253821.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1409521253821.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 431
  • uploadfromtaptalk1409521277533.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1409521277533.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 430
  • uploadfromtaptalk1409521289109.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1409521289109.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 435
  • uploadfromtaptalk1409521322717.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1409521322717.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 428
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi there!
First, sorry for hijscking this thread whith what I am about to post here, but I didn't want to open a new thread. So, it's not made out of foam,but...this is what happens when you drink your sunday coffe, then go toward a trash bin to discard a coffe can...
In the meantime, you know that you have some more junk to discard, but what if....
You combine a coffe can, old 4" car fullrange speaker, a tiny TDA2003 chip amp, and 8 Ni-Mh AA batteries?
I just did that today, and this is what I got...
Oh yes, I had a free afternoon-wife was not at home :D

Hijack away. Cool mochaTunes. How does it sound?

Thanks for clarifying xrk971! I think that this design is a solution to a scenario that I have... actually, it out-strips that, and makes life pretty simple! I'll have to check on what my DSP can do though, as it might not have enough bands to make the necessary EQ adjustments.

On the topic of the foam board, the cheapest I've found in my area is at Walmart. They seem to sell Elmer's, and I'll double-check at some point to see if that's what I have, but the poster board from there is about $1.50 for a 20" x 30" sheet.

I'm ready to home my hot-melt glue gun skills! :)

Hijack away. Cool mochaTunes. How does it sound?

I didn't expect much from that one, but it pleasantly surprised me. Sure, there's no bass to speak of, as the box (can) is too small for that driver, but it does sound much better that a phone or tablet on its own, or perhaps these: (see pic-source of inspiration-but I wanted something unique)

What could it be used for? Nice for playing some chillout music on a table at a terrace, while watching the sunset and drinking your favorite drink. :cool:

Alternatively, it could be put on the back of my two-year-old son's tricycle, and play some tunes while riding in the park :)

Attachments

• Mini_Wireless_Bluetooth_Amplifier_mini_portable_Speaker_A102.jpg
    Mini_Wireless_Bluetooth_Amplifier_mini_portable_Speaker_A102.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 475
Last edited:
(Edit: In response to xrk971's question)

No, I'm thinking of using these as the tops for a home studio monitoring system.

I have a Yamaha RX-V1400 receiver, which I've only used the Graphic Equalizer settings on so far.

It's only 7 bands, set at the following:

* 63Hz
* 160Hz
* 400Hz
* 1kHz
* 2.5kHz
* 6.3kHz
* 16kHz

On the surface that doesn't seem particularly useful, but I could also try out the auto setup from the receiver, to see if it evens things out.

Failing that, I can set up something else that has more control...

Sorry to bump this thread xrk, but I've just re-read some of it, and realised that you're planning on using the Faital Pro 3FE25 instead of the Vifa in your 0.7x initial tests. I think I can survive another $7 per speaker, so I'm intrigued to see what you find with your tests :)

From simulations, how do you think it will differ to the Vifa?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
The 3FE25 will have +6dB more sensitivity, a stronger motor and more mechanical damping so a smoother 400Hz to 1kHz band, hopefully more HF sensitivity so I won't need to do so much boost high shelf EQ'ing. It may have more of a cone breakup peakiness though - won't know that until we try it. Not expecting miracles though. Maybe the 3FE22 may be better but at $32 it's kind of expensive for a 3 incher.

That makes sense. The design makes it seem to be a good contender for a mid horn...well, I suppose the 1.0x version is the most ideal, but you don't really lose that much with a smaller horn and a less expensive driver!

I was thinking about maybe combining this with a small piezo tweeter horn, crossing them at 4k or so. I know that somewhat defeats the purpose of it being a FAST design, but my goals are slightly different ;)

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
My timing is impeccable! I return to the forums just as these really cool projects appear! :)

Could you elaborate on the $40 Synergy?

It is described over in this thread:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/259293-prv-5mr450-ndy-fast-applications-19.html#post4042589

Originally, a big 28in wide horn with the 5MR450NDY driver was built. I decided to build a mini variant at 0.7x scale using the 3FE25 driver. Since I have a TC9FD, I decided to try with that. Then I added the quad woofers late last night. Some sims of it are a little later in the thread. Here is predicted response and max SPL:

436354d1409659368-prv-5mr450-ndy-fast-applications-0.7x-synergy-b65-tc9fd-sealedback-freq-1m-max-spl.png

The $40 cost break down is as follows:

- Qnty 4 Parts Express buyout 6.5 in polycone woofers (same driver as used in ther well-regarded B652 speakers) $5 ea x 4 = $20

- Qnty 1 Vifa TC9FD driver $12

- 4 sheets of foam core $4

- 1 tube of latex caulking for the constrained layer damping $2

- 1 dual banana post binding clip $1

- Hot melt glue sticks $1

Here is response and HD of the horn without woofers:

436002d1409484908-prv-5mr450-ndy-fast-applications-0.7x-tractrix-tc9fd-cld-325hz-hpf-hd-eq3.png

Here is polars of horn without woofers:

436003d1409484908-prv-5mr450-ndy-fast-applications-0.7x-tractrix-tc9fd-cld-325hz-hpf-polars-eq3.png

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
unaHm,
No, I have not used the 3FE25's yet. Still need to order them actually - they should work better. Only $7more so not a big deal, assuming they do worl better than the TC9FD's which are a bit weak in the motor strength department. If you want to splurge, get the 3FE22 - it has more of a rising response and lower Qts which may be better suited. $32 ea though.

I should add that to make any of these (2-way FAST) ideas work well and quickly, you need a miniDSP 2x4 and a pair of class D amps - TPA3116D2.