Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd February 2013, 01:47 AM   #1211
xrk971 is online now xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Squeak,
I had to pull the drivers from the Cornu's to put in the FIB's so I have not been able to do a true A/B comparo. But, my impression is that the BIB's have lower bass extension than the 20 in Cornu's, however they do not sound as "expansive" as the Cornu's. I think for certain music where a harder driving bass sound is needed, the FIB's are better, but for most music, the Cornu's sound better, especially jazz or anything with horns or woodwinds. I may pull the drivers from my cardboard MLTL's and put them in the Cornu's so that I can do a true A/B test and update this response. One thing that I have found with the FIB is that it is very sensitive to stuffing, I had to play with it quite a bit to get the sound I wanted. Maybe I just got lucky with how I did the stuffing on the Cornu's because it was good the first time.

Last edited by xrk971; 3rd February 2013 at 01:51 AM.
Old 3rd February 2013, 01:53 AM   #1212
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to KMossman Send a message via Skype™ to KMossman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Weldon View Post

[silicone] I am hoping this is a generic term for the many caulks you have the option of using.

ops! yep, you are right. I got stuck in the silicone rut. I usually buy the silicone stuff [here, in China] because:

- it's available
- can use it for 'anything', 'anywhere'
- i know it works

I do MISS Canadian Tire, Home Depot, ....................

China is a DIY desert !
Old 3rd February 2013, 01:59 AM   #1213
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMossman View Post
Maybe try this:

1) spot 'weld' using the hot glue

2) seal and hold using [silicone] sealant [the sticky stuff that dries and bonds]
I think the point of that post was to see if one could build a Cornu using nothing but hot melt glue. I was impatient and wanted to have an instant Cornu without waiting more than 20 seconds for the hot melt glue to harden. The first Cornu I built I indeed used the hot melt glue to tack, and then used PVA to seal and glue as I was down to my last 5 sticks of hot glue! The final capping off procedure of gluing the face was always the slowest as it required waiting for the PVA to dry over 6 hours.

If you are abroad, this style of DIY is perfect as it can be done in a hotel desk with a knife and hot melt glue gun.

I sharpen my xacto razor mainly because it is one of those fine point triangular tips that I like for precise control and I am too lazy to go buy more. It actually works quite well to sharpen rather than discard each time.
Old 3rd February 2013, 03:39 AM   #1214
diyAudio Member

Finally, here's a photo of my 20" Vifa TC9FD masonite/foam hybrid with banana leaf paper. My third foamcore build. I still need to get a photo of the birch ply pair that I built for a friend. He's re-discovering his music collection. Still amazed at how good these can sound.

Now I need to order some more drivers and decide what to build next!

IMG_0302.JPG
Old 3rd February 2013, 03:50 AM   #1215
Carlp is offline Carlp  United States
diyAudio Member

Nice, surface tension. What's your supply of banana leaf paper? It's cool. Oooh, and is that a Lux PD264 or 284?
Old 3rd February 2013, 04:11 AM   #1216
diyAudio Member

Paper was purchased at Paper Arts in Dallas TX. Lots of unusual hand made papers and such. Hard to decide what to use.

PD 264
Old 3rd February 2013, 05:56 AM   #1217
ravener is offline ravener  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Seems like I've bought the wrong foam board... it is melting under the heat of the hot glue...
Old 3rd February 2013, 10:13 AM   #1218
ravener is offline ravener  Singapore
diyAudio Member

One curve done, one more to go...

Using a 40W glue gun, one thing I've learn, is to keep using it, else to switch it off after more than 5min of idling to let the glue cool down to stop it from melting the foam.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CameraZOOM-20130203191110318.jpg (421.0 KB, 283 views)
Old 3rd February 2013, 10:53 AM   #1219
diyAudio Member

Ravener,
Looks good! I have never heard of the glue melting the foam. Are you talking about the foam on the white channel or the black back panel? My gun is only 10 watts if that matters.
Old 3rd February 2013, 10:57 AM   #1220
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by surface tension View Post
Finally, here's a photo of my 20" Vifa TC9FD masonite/foam hybrid with banana leaf paper. My third foamcore build. I still need to get a photo of the birch ply pair that I built for a friend. He's re-discovering his music collection. Still amazed at how good these can sound.

Now I need to order some more drivers and decide what to build next!

Attachment 327919
Very nice, I like the banana paper look! You and Prezden have nicely decorated speakers. Glad you friend loves the sound. I am still amazed at wht these little Vifa's can do everytime I turn them on and listen.
Click the image to open in full size.
If you are looking for the next project, may I suggest this?

Last edited by xrk971; 3rd February 2013 at 11:14 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!