Foam Core Board Speaker Enclosures? - Page 121 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd February 2013, 10:10 PM   #1201
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

I actually buy it at Amazon but it is fulfilled by Parts Express. They work well, not fancy but functional. They come with eva foam gasket.
Amazon.com: Banana 5-Way Speaker Wire Binding Post Terminal: Electronics
Old 2nd February 2013, 10:13 PM   #1202
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
Details of Flatter is Better BIB build in the Terry Cain BIB thread. I thought since it is a foam core build, better to post final pix and sound clip here though.
G'day X,

Why not put a link in the BIB thread back to your post here?

Cheers,

Alex
Old 2nd February 2013, 10:36 PM   #1203
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex from Oz View Post
G'day X,

Why not put a link in the BIB thread back to your post here?

Cheers,

Alex
Done.
Old 3rd February 2013, 12:09 AM   #1204
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to KMossman Send a message via Skype™ to KMossman
Quote:
I forgot to mention that I also double up on the glue by liberally applying white, or in your case, yellow glue on top of the hot melt just in case there are any cracks that need to be sealed, plus it ensures that if hot melt ever gives you have a backup bond.
Solid idea. When I build a conventional cabinet, despite a [apparently] air-tight joint, I always seal the inside of the joint with white glue or sealant.

Speaking of which, might silicone sealant work faster, better rather than white/yellow/green/blue/pink glue?
Old 3rd February 2013, 12:42 AM   #1205
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Try Walmart. The $5 a sheet stuff has really thick paper and is a pain to cut with a razor actually - I think they put glass fibers in the foam and it doesn't cut cleanly.
I think the trick is use a fresh blade, and keep re-newing the blade.
Old 3rd February 2013, 12:49 AM   #1206
diyAudio Member

Silicone certainly works to seal, smells bad though during drying. I now use hot melt to seal joints that I have access to and use my fingernail to tool it smooth to a fillet. I sharpen my xacto on a ceramic now before each build. Important to have sharp razor.
Are you building anything Kmossman? Welcome aboard!
Old 3rd February 2013, 12:56 AM   #1207
Squeak is offline Squeak  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Details of Flatter is Better BIB build in the Terry Cain BIB thread. I thought since it is a foam core build, better to post final pix and sound clip here though.

They sound great and have the ability to fill the room with some nice bass. I like how they ended up looking too. I just need to decorate them now.
What do you think of it versus your Cornu derivative?
Old 3rd February 2013, 01:19 AM   #1208
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I segmented the back and hot melt glued in sections before glue hardens. Having two hot melt guns and four hands would make this easier as I had to lay down the bead of hot melt furiously fast.
Maybe try this:

1) spot 'weld' using the hot glue

2) seal and hold using [silicone] sealant [the sticky stuff that dries and bonds]
Old 3rd February 2013, 01:29 AM   #1209
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMossman View Post
1) spot 'weld' using the hot glue
You will find your happy place once you do one. Trust me it won't be the only one but it will help you find your comfort level.
Quote:
2) seal and hold using [silicone] sealant
[silicone] I am hoping this is a generic term for the many caulks you have the option of using. Silicone base is the last one I would use. The one the seems best suited to this application has to be the cheapest one you can buy. Available everywhere. I spend funny money on a lot of things but as a caulk this one is very successful.

Alex® Painter's Acrylic Latex Caulk | Canadian Tire
Old 3rd February 2013, 01:39 AM   #1210
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Silicone certainly works to seal, smells bad though during drying. I now use hot melt to seal joints that I have access to and use my fingernail to tool it smooth to a fillet. I sharpen my xacto on a ceramic now before each build. Important to have sharp razor.
Are you building anything Kmossman? Welcome aboard!

Silicone certainly works to seal, smells bad though during drying.
yep! use in a well-ventilated area

I now use hot melt to seal joints that I have access to and use my fingernail to tool it smooth to a fillet.
you use your fingernail to 'push' and smooth the hot glue!
shades of Lawrence of Arabia!

I sharpen my xacto on a ceramic now before each build. Important to have sharp razor.
maybe I am not 'green' but I use a box cutter aka utility knife
just snap for a fresh, sharp blade

Are you building anything Kmossman?
I am really interested in this thread as building conventional [speaker] cabinets is impossible for me at present.
My last speaker project [many years ago] was the tri-amped LH transmission line speakers using KEFs [damn tweeters kept blowing so replaced them with .............damn forgot!] They were fantastic until some freaking brat poked the woofers all over with a sharp pencil !

Am building a test power supply especially for my projects....nothing exciting there.

A modest switch box with a simple op-amp booster for use with my desktop speaker system

And some potentially commercial e-bike projects! sadly, all are non-audio - although I am [just for me] installing a WICKED set of sirens on my e-bike to act as an auxiliary horn.

AS WELL [!] a commercial venture [can I say that?] with a local guy here in Suzhou, China. He has been hand-crafting valve amps for 15 years. I am one picky SOB on electronics - I NEVER saw commercial work that I could not fault - until I saw his work. This will show him and some of his work Flickr: KJ_Electronics' Photostream

Welcome aboard!
Thank you!

Hide this!Advertise here!