Foam Core Board Speaker Enclosures? - Page 105 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th January 2013, 05:47 PM   #1041
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
Thanks Cal!
Whatever surfboard fiberglass resin is
Either polyester or epoxy. Polyurethane gets used for casting stuff and many other things but as far as I know it's not used for any fiberglassing.
Old 6th January 2013, 05:58 PM   #1042
xrk971 is online now xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

If I started to lay up glass and resin on these foam core speakers, it's kind of like building a surfboard.
Lightweight yet rigid with a foam core...
Old 6th January 2013, 07:53 PM   #1043
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

True. Put some waterproof speakers in them and drop them into a swimming pool. You couldn't use PVA glue for the top piece but that's an easy fix.

Wait...what's the fiberglass for?
Old 7th January 2013, 09:24 AM   #1044
diyAudio Member

I like the foam FH3-inspired (FH3-i) speaker so much, I just ordered more Vifa TC9FD's and I have all the foam core pieces cut out. Just waiting for some time to glue now. I am wondering how to finish these boxes.... possible fabric covered?
On some songs, the deep bass really sounds good - you can really tell it has some deep extension. Can't wait to hear it in stereo. Like I said, I highly recommend this build. It is very cost effective too.

Driver $12, 3.5 sheets of foam core $3.5, binding posts $3, glue $0.50. Less than $20 ea.

Last edited by xrk971; 7th January 2013 at 09:27 AM.
Old 7th January 2013, 01:27 PM   #1045
diyAudio Member

The surf board idea is great! And exactly my line of thinking. There is so much made of foam and then covered. However I can not speak to the nastiness of the chemicals. I imagine they can not be that bad, but I am a father...

In the fullrange pic gallery,last page right now, is a BIB that is covered in burlap with a tree patern on it.
Old 7th January 2013, 02:58 PM   #1046
Jim G is offline Jim G  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default foam FH3

Have you thought of wallpaper for finish? Could be anything from metallic to bamboo or some pattern. Endless choice.
Old 8th January 2013, 02:56 AM   #1047
diyAudio Member

Jim G,
Good idea about wallpaper. I have used vinyl Contact paper before which looks ok. The bamboo paper looks very nice but would cost $60 to cover one set of speakers not to mention that you have to buy a $180 roll. There are certainly a lot of choices and I bet it would change the sound of the cabinet as the foam probably vibrates quite a bit.
Old 8th January 2013, 03:01 AM   #1048
diyAudio Member

Default Microfiber cloth as damping material?

I have been thinking of what to use for damping the area around driver instead of felt wool which is hard to find and probably not cheap. Microfiber terry texture cleaning cloths (3M style fiber) have a very intricate fiber cross section that looks like a snow flake with lots of surface area. It seems that this may be good for absorbing sound waves. They sell this in sets of three for $1 where else but at the same place we get the foam core boards! You can layer this by gluing layers with hot melt, cut to shape and glue it to inside of cabinet near driver or on back of magnet. Has anyone else tried microfiber polishing cloths for damping? It has benefit that moths won't eat it. For more volume, there is also the microfiber floppy strand mop head at the dollar store.

Last edited by xrk971; 8th January 2013 at 03:07 AM.
Old 9th January 2013, 01:15 AM   #1049
diyAudio Member

I wonder if this can be used as dampening material? Glue multiple layers together.
Bulk Crafters Square Felt Sheets, 14-ct. Packs at DollarTree.com

Next time I get more foam core...
Old 9th January 2013, 01:30 AM   #1050
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Square Felt Sheets
That stuff is polyester, the glue will impede what little damping quality it has.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!