Foam Core Board Speaker Enclosures?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Don't know. Let's see if I can upload one....... in the advanced new reply window, clicking on the attachments option [paperclip symbol] opens a pop-up window to choose where in my computer to upload the attachment. Once found, I double click on it to 'pin' it to DIYaudio, then click on the 'upload' button. It will display the current attachments and 'remove' buttons down below.

Do not attempy to preview what you have done.

dave

Yes, the Weems baffles were a cross between a corner horn and a Labyrinth. The first used a 8 inch driver the second used a 12 inch. He later did one called the Hi Five that used a fifteen inch with two 8 inch and two tweeters. I've been trying to up load the plans for the 8 inch but am not having any luck. I reduced the PDF size and will try once more.

Attachments

• Weems Celotex Baffle0001.pdf
    415.7 KB · Views: 165
Yes, the Weems baffles were a cross between a corner horn and a Labyrinth. The first used a 8 inch driver the second used a 12 inch. He later did one called the Hi Five that used a fifteen inch with two 8 inch and two tweeters. I've been trying to up load the plans for the 8 inch but am not having any luck. I reduced the PDF size and will try once more.

Got It!!~ Many thanks!!! I didn't remember all the pieces at the bottom, but KNEW something else was there!!

Possible to get the one for the 12 inch speaker as well??

Again....MANY THANKS!!!

Harvey/ Ga

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Synergy/Unity Foam Core Horn

Here is my latest exploration into a Danley SH90-inspired multi-way horn. The horn is 24 x 24 in x 9 in deep with 90 deg x 90 deg coverage. I have been working on a design to do this as a 2-way speaker with a 6.5 in woofer and either a CD or a dome tweeter. Since I have TC9FD's on hand, I decided to give the first prototype a a try with the Vifa's. I am using some low cost Pyle PH44 CD's with built in 90 deg horn which I then integrate into the main horn - this lets the critical CD throat region maintain a well-designed curve for best performance. I used Bwaslo's Synergy spreadsheet to calculate the dimensions and then modeled it in Akabak. With the the Vifa, I should be able to get about 150 Hz on the low end so it should integrate well with a sub. With the 6.5 in woofer I should get to 60 Hz. Still needs a real XO, as of right now running the Vifa's full range and the CD with a 2uF cap. Probably needs padding as it sounds a bit bright. The good thing is that the design is very efficient (loud) and the directionality is very uniform. The mids and highs are very clear and quite nice. A lot of fun with 3 sheets of foam.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 8,553
  • photo (1).JPG
    photo (1).JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 1,714
  • photo (2).JPG
    photo (2).JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 1,493
Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Wesayo: I will post clips as soon as I get some recorded and trimmed to fit in the 1MB limit.

Rjbond3rd: The horn expansion uses a formula prescribed to best promote a uniform expansion given 2 flat conical sections. It is a trade off between size, frequency, and coverage angle. You can see how it is calculated if you look at Bwaslo's spreadsheet. There are several threads on the Synergy/Unity horn in the multiway forum.

I have a size constraint of 24 in wide and I wanted 90 deg coverage, the spreadsheet calcs how big to make each panel.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Sound Clips of 2-way Horn

Remember these are mono (right channel), no crossover as Vifa's running full range, tweeter is going through 2uF, and there is a helper subwoofer (probably 150 Hz and below).

Enjoy...

Attachments

• SH90-Sample-Jazz-192kbps.zip
    722.3 KB · Views: 125
  • SH90-Sample-Vocals-192kbps.zip
    691 KB · Views: 98
  • SH90-Sample-Vocals-2-192kbps.zip
    684.5 KB · Views: 87