newb compact speaker design help - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd December 2012, 02:05 AM   #31
diyAudio Member

But on the other hand, keeping it simple (no tweeter) has it merits on its own =)
Old 2nd December 2012, 02:06 AM   #32
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrduke View Post
Do the vibration disappear at lower volumes? Have you tried to press the different sides of the cardboard to see if it disappears? I would not worry too much, cardboard is pretty flimsy and starts to vibrate quite easy especially if you have a closed box.
I will check on this and get back to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrduke View Post
Regarding the dispersion of the high frequencies, it is easy to determine if you think you need it or not. It is sort of personal taste I think.
Sit directly in front of the speaker, so the speaker is "pointing" towards you face (ears) You will hear the "full range". Then move like 30 degrees of axis, so the speaker is no longer pointing directly towards you. You will hear a different frequency response where the high freqs are weaker. Then do the same for 90 degrees.

If you still think the music sounds ok and not dull, then you do not need to add tweeters.

This is a special problem that arises for boom boxes and radios, but never for conventional hifi systems where the listeners are confined to a well defined space (sofa) in front of the systems. For boomboxes and small radios, the listeners tend to be all around the system. So it sort of depends of your user case.
Thanks for clearing this up, I will check. I think the speakers sounded pretty good from the side. I bet I could keep it simple and avoid the tweeter.

I am reading up on the TML calculation, I am not sure what wavelength I should try and calibrate to...

Last edited by scales11; 2nd December 2012 at 02:09 AM.
Old 2nd December 2012, 09:47 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Can anyone direct me to a good website (other than the S.A.M) that can explain how I properly calculate and layout the TML channel dimensions?

I think (for my driver ) that a channel cross-section area of about 30cm^2 or 2" by 2" would be good. I am unsure how long I should make it be though, especially since I read that you can stuff the channel with stuff to decrease the necessary length. Since I am trying to work within a small footprint, I think I may have to do something tight, like
S.A.M. "Saburov Audio Manufacture"

But on the other hand, maybe this sort of design would suffice:
Click the image to open in full size.
How do I apply the golden ratio for something like this?
Old 2nd December 2012, 10:13 PM   #34
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
The use of passive radiators is perhaps one of the most compact ways to
extend bass. The Logitech x-140 speakers do this and sound real nice at
$28, it will be tough to beat this price as a DIY for same small volume.
As Sreten said, cannibalizing parts of these speakers is a lot less
expensive than buying parts on their own.
Hi, As you say being a cannibal is good, but some don't like it, rgds, sreten.

The dynamic bass management in the X-140's is AFAIK impossible to DIY.

Last edited by sreten; 2nd December 2012 at 10:17 PM.
Old 3rd December 2012, 04:23 PM   #35
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreten View Post
Hi, As you say being a cannibal is good, but some don't like it, rgds, sreten.

The dynamic bass management in the X-140's is AFAIK impossible to DIY.
Agree that it would be hard to DIY for reasonable cost, not sure if 'impossible' would be the word. Just two passive radiators will set you back $20. Personally, The x-140 is so good and nice, it would be a shame to cannibalize it. I am just saying there is a treasure trove of parts in these mass produced PC speakers.
Old 7th December 2012, 09:34 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

Well I think I may just keep it in a closed 5by5by5 cube. I am trying to minimize space and just don't see how I can keep things that small if I try and do a transmission line build.

I shall post back with my thoughts.
Old 29th December 2012, 04:31 PM   #37
Nanook is offline Nanook  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default oops, a little late..."how to apply the GR to something like this?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by scales11 View Post

But on the other hand, maybe this sort of design would suffice:
Click the image to open in full size.
How do I apply the golden ratio for something like this?
Well you need to have an idea about the length of the line required and the placement of the driver within the line. Determine a cabinet width (many times this seems to be almost arbitrary, but depending on the driver the width obviously must be narrower than the mounting "width"). So we know the line length, and a width. So we can determine a taper ratio. It can be a bit of hit and miss (I've never sat down to do the mathematics of it though). I use Google's "sketchup" drawing program, and draw a 2-D rectangle and try to fit the line within the envelope of an arbitrary box. Remember though that the line length is a function of the driver dimensions (as a start).
Old 29th December 2012, 05:46 PM   #38
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Try modeling it with HornResp, it will open up many possibilities rather than relying on golden ratio. You will have to imagine how stuffing will dampen out peaks when using HR. But it gives good idea of bass extension and where first few resonance peaks will be. Pretty easy to use software.
Old 16th January 2013, 06:21 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scales11 View Post
Can anyone direct me to a good website (other than the S.A.M) that can explain how I properly calculate and layout the TML channel dimensions?

I think (for my driver ) that a channel cross-section area of about 30cm^2 or 2" by 2" would be good. I am unsure how long I should make it be though, especially since I read that you can stuff the channel with stuff to decrease the necessary length. Since I am trying to work within a small footprint, I think I may have to do something tight, like
S.A.M. "Saburov Audio Manufacture"
This trinagular labyrynth on the same driver has smaller footprint, but it is taller:

inside - ? ??? ?????? ????????? ????????? ???????) / What`s inside? | Facebook

finished - ? ??? ?????? ????????? ????????? ???????) / What`s inside? | Facebook

Its the same labyrynth pipe like you quated but turned just once
Old 16th January 2013, 07:10 PM   #40
diyAudio Member

Charcoal, that is a nice looking speaker, mind sharing the dimensions with me?

Hide this!Advertise here!